Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red deer call

Red deer call

WItch red stag call is the best, and easiest for first time users ? Thanks for any reply

Don't waste your money there is no such thing for reds.

Try it like this:

The good, the bad, and the just plain hilarious.

I've called out a Red with an old army trip flare tube in the past, danpd will confirm that. I've been told that an old whisky bottle tube works as well.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by mullbiker View Post
    Don't waste your money there is no such thing for reds.
    No such thing you say, well i have been twice in the last 2 weeks and have called and shot a stag on both occasions! The one i had this weekend was called away from a hind from at least half a mile across a wooded valley! That was using a length of 50mm flexible conduit.

mullbiker sadly mistaken im afraid i bought one seven years ago and would never leave home without it when after stags !!!!

when we went to nz the guys out there used tubing we had a demo one night ,we was told not to sound too loud you want to sound like a young stag not bellow out like a dominant stag to draw them in lots of vids on youtube and the nz hunting sites it does seam to work,atb wayne

gts - get yourself a fine plastic inner tube from a fax paper roll. Cut it about 4" long.With a bit of practise you can produce, admittedly, a much weaker call of varying ages but it works fine during the rut when the beasts are working on half a brain - and that half secured between their rear legs. A 'young' call will bring forth an approach for investigation. A more mature call might bring forth rapid reprisal at the trot so ensure that you ARE carrying a rifle and that you are prepared to shoot the animal you are teasing as a suitable cull.

I was once chased off the hill by a cheesed-off stag after teasing him. It was a downhill run. I didn't habe a rifle but I didn't fall - 'Not sure I was touching the ground either, but what saved me was that the old fellow didn't want to leave his girls for too long and was satisfied to chase me off. I never repeated that game.
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.