Harkila Kodiak experiences.

liongeorge

I am about to splash out on a new winter jacket.Have found a good deal on a Harkila Kodiac jacket, is it too warm for general winter stalking? I do a bit of high seating but mainly wander about.
secondly is it long enough?
Thirdly is it hard wearing?I haven't seen one but it I get the impression it is not tough as the pro hunter, is this a problem.

Any reviews would be much appreciated.

George

Hi George, i purchased a Kodiak coat from swillingtons they are on offer now for £199 and are very good to deal with, i was stalking in Oban two weeks ago raining most of the time it kept me very dry, regaring the length its just right it also comes with a pad to pull out if you are in a high seat i also found a supplier that has the kodiak trousers to match, been told they are very hard wearing i know a stalker who has worn the trousers for three years no problem. pm me if you are interested.

regards
tony

Bought the trousers in Sweden 13 years ago - worn four times a week since then. I give the leather facings the occasional dressing of neatsfoot oil and they still look great.

Being able to barge and crawl in nettles/briars without getting scratched or hung up is a real benefit. The fabric is pretty tight and barb-wire resistant.

Excellent kit that I will happily pay to replace - when they eventually die!

Rgds

Ian :)

Bought the trousers in Sweden 13 years ago - worn four times a week since then. I give the leather facings the occasional dressing of neatsfoot oil and they still look great.

Being able to barge and crawl in nettles/briars without getting scratched or hung up is a real benefit. The fabric is pretty tight and barb-wire resistant.

Excellent kit that I will happily pay to replace - when they eventually die!

Rgds

Ian :)

I dunno Ian, they seemed in pretty good nick, you sure Jo won't be replacing you instead of you replacing the trousers? :lol:

Hope you are keeping well matey!

Scrummy

You wont go wrong with a Prohunter or a Prohunter Light. I have both. The Kodiak does not have a hood, invaluable whether on the hill or up a high seat. Did you get your Waffenerwerbsschein, permission to buy arms yet?

Hi Conor,

Funnily enough, permis d'acquisition arrived yesterday!

How you keeping buddy? Life good in the Zurich quarter?

Well done! It sounds like you had a much easier time than me. Did you have to give them a UK background check as well and copies of your UK FAC?

I'm travelling a lot, very busy and little time for anything other than family.

Have you bought anything yet? You can have that Steyr .243 anytime you want: its fine for cutting your teeth on but it could be rebarrelled to another calibre of your choice. We are leaving for vacation on the 10th Nov, back on the 28th Nov. On the 29th I leave for a few days of boar shooting and will be back on the 4th Dec.

I have a Kodiak and a Pro Hunter. The Kodiak is very warm and to me. seems almost 'too good' to go shooting in so thus far I do not wear it for stalking. The Kodiak does not have 'pit vents', unlike the Pro Hunter. In addition I find the outer pockets on the Kodiak jacket impractical, too small.

I got mine from Swillington also, bargain!

Phil

Thanks guys,
got an amazing deal from Swillingtons, and was lucky enough to get thier last pair of trousers as well. Have had them a couple of weeks now and love them , very impressed with the trousers and the jacket is great (loving the bum pad thing! Kodiak owners will know what I'm talking about.) though I wanted the Pro hunter noone has it on special and is £200 more expensive ! I won't miss the hood as prefer to wear a hat.

ATB

George

I recommend trying them on in a shop before purchasing as mine are really larger than the confusing guide price suggests... they also come with a strong smell that stinks out your cupboard and after 4 years it is still as strong as day one. I paid £500 for my suit and wore it once, not good!

Kodiak is Very warm, Ideal for cold seating shooting. But for woodland stalking or walking even the pro Hunter is hot !

I use a pro hunter and wear thermals for cold weather. I have not been cold or wet while wearing this jacket for 5 years.

I recommend trying them on in a shop before purchasing as mine are really larger than the confusing guide price suggests... they also come with a strong smell that stinks out your cupboard and after 4 years it is still as strong as day one. I paid £500 for my suit and wore it once, not good!

Sorry to here that RD mine doesn't smell at all, perhaps it got contaminated with a chemical during manufacture. Have you tried washing it?

Would agree about the sizing definately on the large size I am usualy at the top end of medium and the medium jacket is almost too big for me it is what would normally be called large.

Last edited:
The smell must be the waterproofing agent and it is worse than a hoors handbag to the point of it is stinking my tweed coats and jackets too... it is like cats wee!! It is from the leather parts.

Aint that the truth! The Pro Hunter has the same problem....the size guide is completely wrong. I changed mine to a size 48 from a 50, yet I take a 50 In the Arnsedale and Trysil. I keep my jackets in the cellar............no nasty odours, save from when I come back from a trip.

Back