Fieldsports related DVD Library

david1976

I'm looking into the possibility of setting up a library of field sport related DVD's for members of the stalking directory to borrow or lend with no money involved ie they are for borrowing not selling.

My ideas are to either
A) have a large list and people could borrow the DVD of their choice for say a week then return it
B) start a list of say 10 DVD's relating to a certain topic say buck shooting or butchery and have 10 people on the list the first sends to the second who sends to the third etc
C) a combination of the two.

I would appreciate ideas from other members on what they think would be good and what they thought would be bad with this ie to begin with should only people who put a DVD up for borrowing could take one out?

I am also aware that some people on this site sell their own DVD's and so in fairness to them these titles would not be available in this library.

Please let me know your ideas by replying to this thread and any titles you have by pm.

I realise that this may take a few weeks or even months to set up with proper rules etc but I think it would be worth the wait and the cost of a stamp for postage.

Cheers

David

dont get to do much stalking, not as much as would like any way but any thing foxing i would be up for that.

paul

as someone who markets dvd's this isn't a good idea.
copy right jumps to mind.
lending to a true friend is 1 thing but this is a club almost and taking money way from them who have had the costs.

as someone who markets dvd's this isn't a good idea.
copy right jumps to mind.
lending to a true friend is 1 thing but this is a club almost and taking money way from them who have had the costs.

I know John has a "vested interest", but he's right. There could be a question about legality.

I'm looking into the possibility of setting up a library of field sport related DVD's for members of the stalking directory to borrow or lend with no money involved ie they are for borrowing not selling.

David

Surely, there would be no legal issues? What you do with what you own for no gain is up to you.

I can understand those with a vested interested not being impressed but how can HMV (etc) sue you for lending a DVD / CD to a mate?

Surely, there would be no legal issues? What you do with what you own for no gain is up to you.

I can understand those with a vested interested not being impressed but how can HMV (etc) sue you for lending a DVD / CD to a mate?
the word mate is loose.
you are forming a club of members and this is different to mates.
i am sure there will be liailities involved.

the word mate is loose.
you are forming a club of members and this is different to mates.
i am sure there will be liailities involved.

£5 (to H4H) says there are no liabilities in lending / giving (as in passing on) otherwise everyone on this list

Just an idea...

would have been sued by RFD's?

I can appreciate your concerns from a commercial point of view but t'interweb has changed / buggered many a similar business with its instant information (including mine).

£5 (to H4H) says there are no liabilities in lending / giving (as in passing on) otherwise everyone on this list

Just an idea...

would have been sued by RFD's?

I can appreciate your concerns from a commercial point of view but t'interweb has changed / buggered many a similar business with its instant information (including mine).
Think you will find that lending/re selling is prohibited by the copyright ownership, but then never saw a secondhand bookshop, charity shop get busted..so have at it!

Think you will find that lending/re selling is prohibited by the copyright ownership, but then never saw a secondhand bookshop, charity shop get busted..so have at it!

I stand to be corrected but I believe the law states:

"Works which are protected by copyright cannot be legally reproduced, distributed, communicated to the public, lent, rented out or performed in public without the consent of the copyright owner."

So a library of DVD's for members of the site would fall foul of this unless David1976 is going to take out some form of copyright licence?

Now so far as second-hand bookshops, they are dealing in second-hand books not new ones, which is subtly different. AFAIK, only the owner of the copyright or his licensee can put new copies of the original (book, DVD, whatever) onto the market, something which is known as the "right of first sale". Once your or I buy that new copy then that right is exhausted, which means that you or I (or the second-hand bookshop) can then sell that copy without the need to hold copyright licences. Note, however, that this doesn't mean we can then reproduce it, rent it out, play it in public, etc.

I'm not a lawyer, but nice as the idea of a "member's library" of deer DVD's sounds, I believe it will fall foul of the law.

Eyefor - I'll (or rather H4H will) see your £5 ;) What possible reason could an RFD have to sue an individual who is selling/giving/lending their surplus ammunition to a colleague, presuming of course that the colleague has the necessary conditions on their FAC to acquire/hold said ammunition? There was no suggestion that these people were engaged in this transaction by way of their business or trade. It would be like saying that every transaction involving a firearm/ammo requires an RFD to be involved, whereas plenty take place on a face-to-face basis.

willie_gunn

I stand to be corrected but I believe the law states:

"Works which are protected by copyright cannot be legally reproduced, distributed, communicated to the public, lent, rented out or performed in public without the consent of the copyright owner."

So a library of DVD's for members of the site would fall foul of this unless David1976 is going to take out some form of copyright licence?

Now so far as second-hand bookshops, they are dealing in second-hand books not new ones, which is subtly different. AFAIK, only the owner of the copyright or his licensee can put new copies of the original (book, DVD, whatever) onto the market, something which is known as the "right of first sale". Once your or I buy that new copy then that right is exhausted, which means that you or I (or the second-hand bookshop) can then sell that copy without the need to hold copyright licences. Note, however, that this doesn't mean we can then reproduce it, rent it out, play it in public, etc.

I'm not a lawyer, but nice as the idea of a "member's library" of deer DVD's sounds, I believe it will fall foul of the law.

Eyefor - I'll (or rather H4H will) see your £5 ;) What possible reason could an RFD have to sue an individual who is selling/giving/lending their surplus ammunition to a colleague, presuming of course that the colleague has the necessary conditions on their FAC to acquire/hold said ammunition? There was no suggestion that these people were engaged in this transaction by way of their business or trade. It would be like saying that every transaction involving a firearm/ammo requires an RFD to be involved, whereas plenty take place on a face-to-face basis.

willie_gunn

£5 is still in my wallet W-G.

OP posted that option B "was start a list of say 10 DVD's relating to a certain topic say buck shooting or butchery and have 10 people on the list the first sends to the second who sends to the third etc"

My Laywer friend (is that an oxymoron?) said that giving / passing on will not breach copyright laws.

However, I couldn't see it working as it will either depend on an (unpaid) central control or on 100% accurate input to a Googledocs (or similar multi access) data base by us lesser mortals & I can't get paid-for techie professionals or employees to do that !

ATB

Iain

My ideas are to either
A) have a large list and people could borrow the DVD of their choice for say a week then return it
B) start a list of say 10 DVD's relating to a certain topic say buck shooting or butchery and have 10 people on the list the first sends to the second who sends to the third etc
C) a combination of the two.

I would appreciate ideas from other members on what they think would be good and what they thought would be bad with this ie to begin with should only people who put a DVD up for borrowing could take one out?

I am also aware that some people on this site sell their own DVD's and so in fairness to them these titles would not be available in this library.

Please let me know your ideas by replying to this thread and any titles you have by pm.

I realise that this may take a few weeks or even months to set up with proper rules etc but I think it would be worth the wait and the cost of a stamp for postage.

Cheers

David

Can I suggest you start by asking members to send you titles of recommended DVD's and then keep this list updated on the forum.
This gets you going whilst you sort out the legal angles.

Can I suggest you start by asking members to send you titles of recommended DVD's and then keep this list updated on the forum.
This gets you going whilst you sort out the legal angles.

That's what I am hoping to do, I have around 60 titles myself I can put towards this but, as of just now, I have not heard from anyone else who has titles to add.

Whilst Admin are open to all ideas it might have been better if you had run this past us first ;)

I did try on a couple of occasions, but I have never received a response, if you want to pull the thread so we can talk about it i'm more than happy to do so?

David

I am quite happy to donate "Foxing" with Robert brucknell and James marchington. DVD. Still cellophane wrapped. Got 2 copies. Really good DVDs

Back