Sierra Pro Hunter 120 grain and Vit 160 in 6.5 x 55

Dovebob

All,

I have some 6.5 mm, 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter bullets that I want to load with Vit N160 for my 6.5 x 55.

I've looked at quite a bit of data for similar bullets (including the SKAN loads included in Vit's own reloading manual).

However, I haven't been able to find the data from Sierra themselves. I've thought about buying the Sierra manual, but I can only find it for sale in the States. The cost of the book and postage to the UK makes it quite expensive.

I wonder if anyone has this data. I am after the starting load, maximum load and any other accompanying data and cautions that are published by Sierra.

Thank you for your help with this.

Cheers,

Bob

I used the vihtavuori data for the 120 sierra hpbt with n160 for the 120 pro hunters.
starting load 45.8
maximum load 50.7
I got best accuracy with 49 grains.

I loaded some sierra 120 gr pro hunters spitzer last week and tried them at the weekend started 45.5 up to 49.5 of n160 all shot almost touching bullett in my sako 85 finnlight6.5x55 so i will go with the 49.5 gr hope this helps

Thanks for the replies - very kind. I will work up some loads based on that.

Venison16 - where are you based? I'm in East Staffs, between Burton and Lichfield.

Cheers,

Bob

Venison 16

Do you ever get over to the rifle shoots at Catton. I keep meaning to, but not got round to it yet. Maybe see you there at some point.

Cheers,

Bob

All,

I have some 6.5 mm, 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter bullets that I want to load with Vit N160 for my 6.5 x 55.

I've looked at quite a bit of data for similar bullets (including the SKAN loads included in Vit's own reloading manual).

However, I haven't been able to find the data from Sierra themselves. I've thought about buying the Sierra manual, but I can only find it for sale in the States. The cost of the book and postage to the UK makes it quite expensive.

I wonder if anyone has this data. I am after the starting load, maximum load and any other accompanying data and cautions that are published by Sierra.

Thank you for your help with this.

Cheers,

Bob

Posts like this make me want to weep!:p Buy a Sierra manual to figure out what load to use with a Sierra 120 grain bullet?? They pillage your wallet for the bullets; don't give the ba&tards money for their reloading manual as well. Save your money and look at all the data for 120 grain bullets. Surely, if nothing else, you can figure out an average starting load from all the data that you've read. Reduce that average by 5% and go from there. Many loading manuals don't list particular brands of bullets; Only the weight of the bullet.~Muir

Muir,

I know what you mean, but I am a bit cautious with reloading and like to see the manufacturers data. I bought the Hornaday book as I was loading their SST's previously. I also got the Nosler one as I thought about partitions for a bit. I settled on Sierra bullets, but their manual is expensive in the UK.

I will do some averages for 120 grain bullets and see how they compare.

One other thing - when you guys are working up loads loads, what increments did you go up in? Do you go up in grains, half grains or less than that.

Cheers,

Bob

Catton is about 10 mins from me. Can you let me know when the next one is. If I've made enough bullets I'll come along.

Cheers,

Bob

hi bob dates for the catton fullbore shoots feb 26 mar 25 may 19 june 30 1 july aug 19 or go on catton rifle sport web site cheers venison 16

I've measured the OAL on the Sierra 120's tonight. They stick a long way out of the case.

Having taken an average OAL I've subtracted 20 thou of an inch off the lans. At this length there's only about 5mm of the base of the bullet in the case. This doesn't seem like enough and I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to get these bullets close enough to the lans and accurately seated.

I'd be grateful for some advice on this. Has anyone else had this problem. Also, do you think I'm trying to get too close to the lans?

Cheers,

Bob

I loaded some sierra 120 gr pro hunters spitzer last week and tried them at the weekend started 45.5 up to 49.5 of n160 all shot almost touching bullett in my sako 85 finnlight6.5x55 so i will go with the 49.5 gr hope this helps
Can I ask what length barrel your using?

Having taken an average OAL I've subtracted 20 thou of an inch off the lans. At this length there's only about 5mm of the base of the bullet in the case. This doesn't seem like enough and I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to get these bullets close enough to the lans and accurately seated.
Most 6.5x55's like to jump! Not pro-hunters but ye olde gk's in my Sauer where best at 112 thou!

Back