The Deer Initiative. HELP PLEASE

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
just had the bbc1 contct me about a proposed ntional cull the DI are supposed to be planning/calling out for.
they have asked me to comment.
they rang at 9.15am today and will arrive at 1030 for a chat for the programme look north tonight at 6.30
talk about been on the back foot.
I will only comment about things i know...
1. we have alot of roe but not an eperdemic and local sport shooters and gamekeepers can keep things right here.
2 some counties i have visited have a problem but that is not for me to comment on.
does anyone here have any facts about the di's plan.
nothing on their web site.
thanks (in a panic) john

you could always say no.... remember they can edit whatever you say to their agenda

tell them it's too short notice

s#it... I didn't realise the time, they'll be there in 20mins :eek:

Last edited:
Im sure you wont get tripped up with your experience, good luck.

Does this help ? see below attachment

Attachments

• wild_deer.pdf
    129.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
well it was quick.
only asked did we have a local problem....NO
did we have any munjac.....NO
how close are they........30mile ish
are they moving north......YES
will they be a problem........NOT FOR A WHILE
what is my main source of deer managment enquirey from land owners.......COME SHOOT THE DEER WE HAVE TO MANY AND ITS ATTRCTING THE DOG MEN
is poaching a problem......YES
that was about it.
Gone off to interview a local woman now who collided with a deer, then the garage who repair alot of deer damaged cars in the area.
we will have to see.
LOOK NORTH BBC1 6.30 PM

Thanks to Digital TV we can see all regions local news programmes, what BBC region will this be shown on?

just had the bbc1 contct me about a proposed ntional cull the DI are supposed to be planning/calling out for.

It's probably this type of article that's sparked them off:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15334624

"Management of the animals comes down to individual landowners, says Langbein. If they own a gun licence they can cull as many or as few as they like, in accordance with the law. There is no prescribed amount. "A lot of landowners don't start managing numbers soon enough, some don't manage them at all. To effectively control a deer population of two million you would have to cull 300,000 to 400,000 a year. It's quite a lot."

They probably had no idea that any wild deer at all were being culled and are now getting into a major tizz because of the numbers being mentioned - it has been edited upwards on the article from 30,000 when it was first published. It's all 'news' to them and will probably blow over once the next politician moves onto the front page. ;)

EDIT: Oops wrong link - try it now.

Last edited:
It was good, well measured no hysterics, just reported the facts, the only subjective element was the throw away comment of, "a widespread cull would be seen as cruel by some animal lovers". To be honest they came at it from a danger to road users angle and the fact that a motorist could be killed and the average cost of a repair after a collision is between £2&3k. All in all a good piece, and as I said, I like your hat :)

No mention of muntjacs at all!

Last edited:
Wrong link posted earlier. This is the one that I think is stirring them up but I think it's already on another thread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15334624

Other than the good PR about RTAs and the need for deer to be controlled, I suspect that to start mentioning anything about culling and throwing in figures like the 300,000 mentioned and it suddenly gets everyone going. Just watch the 'debate' get going with every bunny hugger and his aunt deploring the need to kill wild animals.

I thought the DI had had their funding withdrawn?

Are these jobs worth still trying to justify their jobs?

PETTA Were not on the 13:30 broadcast. However if she is the best spokesperson they can come up with then they are in real trouble. So according to PETTA we make the environment uninviting for dear and they will go away. Start bidding for the contract to Tarmac over most of the country..

well they are running a poll.
we will see what yorks think.
i agree with you the spotty woman needs to eat some meat. LOL perhaps some venison maybe.(she was a hopeless spokes person) (see im polically correct)
we have also the option to put up electric fencing along side every road.
but the power needed to run this will upset the eco warriors. best put up some more turbines.
A sportsman and a bullet is the best method me thinks.

they have asked me to comment.
they rang at 9.15am today and will arrive at 1030 for a chat for the programme look north tonight at 6.30
talk about been on the back foot.
I will only comment about things i know...
1. we have alot of roe but not an eperdemic and local sport shooters and gamekeepers can keep things right here.
2 some counties i have visited have a problem but that is not for me to comment on.
does anyone here have any facts about the di's plan.
nothing on their web site.
thanks (in a panic) john

A bit of honesty John you made a rod for your own back by doing the first programme, now anything to do with Deer your going to be asked to quote, if you get it wrong you'll be slated, if you speak out of turn you'll be slated, do yourself a big favour point them to the D I allow them, as a governing body for Deer in England to deal with the Deer subjects quotes and problems they'll have a press officer who will know the speak.

Back