Browning X -Bolt

Anson Deeley

I'm quite impressed with what I've seen of the Browning X-Bolt (Screwed and fluted) I've read reviews, seen the awards, spoke to ex- browning people who all speak highly of it. Is there anyone on the forums here who owns one and regularly puts one through it's paces ?

I would be interested to hear from an end user

i have one in .243.. overall i am pleased with the rifle it shoots well and its nice to handle. the only thing i dont like about it is the action which does not chamber the round very smoothly.... i would not discourage you from buying one but given the choice i would probably go for a tikka t3...
regards, Jez.

Ive had one in .223 rem since they came on the market. never had the problem Jez mentions regarding chambering rounds, and have never regretted buying it.
Light,accurate reasonable trigger a good workhorse on fox and smaller deer.
Sinbad

I have one in .223, no problems chambering any ammo, nice and smooth.
Love the safety and the bolt release button allowing unloading while the safety is on.
Hated the trigger, min it would adjust to is 3.5lb, clean and crisp but too heavy, turned out to be a very easy and free fix.
My only real complaint is the factory threaded barrel.........
M14 x 1mm if to large a thread for the light profile barrel, as it leaves nearly no shoulder.
On top of that it was not concentric to the bore, and the shoulder was also out of square to the thread and not properly formed.
I feel for the money it should have been better, but a decent re-thread in 1/2" x 20 tpi not only fixed it, it left a nice crown
not the abortion that browning hacked into it.
I would certainly buy another when I go for a bigger calibre, but would factor in the cost of a proper threading job, and the near 400 mile round trip to get it done.

Neil. :)

View attachment 9831

I have one in 243... feels confortable and positive in your hand, personally I think it chambers well, it shoots well with Remington Accutip 75g and shoots excellent with homeloads both 70g and 95g.
Trigger was a little heavy and I had a tendancy to pull the shot when I first got it but as already mentioned was an easy fix and now feels light and crisp, it certainly shoots where you point it and it always gives me confidence everytime I pick it up.
I like it that much that i'm getting another in a larger calibre.

I don't think I've ever had so many informative answers and so quickly. Thank you all and I'll certainly take Neil's comments on board regarding the thread.
Having read all these comments, I think I'll replace my .243 (secondary rifle ) first, if all goes well I might buy an additional .270.

Thanks again. John.

I don't own one, but when looking for a new rifle recently it made it on to my shortlist of either X-bolt or SAKO 85. I tried one at the recent Bisley live event and was very impressed with the accuracy out of the box (shooting grape sized groups at ~180 yards!), but I have to say I didn't get on with the odd shaped bolt and the way it feels, and I agree with the posters above who say that the trigger was beautifully crisp but way too heavy for my liking. To be absolutely fair to Browning, this was a brand new rifle, and I was the first person ever to shoot it apart from the RO who zeroed it, so perhaps some trigger adjustment , general running in and a dab of grease on the bolt may result in a different gun entirely. For the money, not a bad rifle at all. In the end I bought the SAKO, though, because it simply felt right as soon as I picked it up, which counts for a lot in my book. Whether the SAKO is worth the few hundred quid more is moot.
When all's said and done, it will come down to your personal preference, but I have no doubt an X-Bolt will get you deer.

It was you that shot at Bisley Live then ! I knew someone did ! I begrudged to pay £12.50 to register with the NRA when I am already a fully paid up member, plus the ammo.
Thanks very much for your thoughts. I primarily shoot a Heym in .270 (beautiful gun ) and it will need replacing in a few years, so I'll try a .243 in the meantime. I'll take your comments on board. I would choose a Sako too, but there's quite a difference on price. J.

Anson- I have the X bolt in 308 and have had no problem with it other than operator error. If you try to rush the chambering of the round rather than a smooth action, then the bullet can raise up and catch the chamber, but after a bit of practice (slowing down the bolt movement) this has been resolved. I looked at the 270 first but was not as impressed with 'the feel and fit' as the 308. Use Winchester 150 grains and have no problem with zeroing or knocking down reds. As has already been stated, the added safety button allows the bolt to be operated with the safety catch still on the action which I like.

I have one in .270 and found it to be an excellent rifle. Using Federal power shoks (150gr) it will easily put bullet on bullet at 150mtrs. Great rifle, great price and it easily competes with the Sako 85 (which I have in .243).

I also tried the .243 X-Bolt at Bisley and I'm in love :) I had never fired a centrefire rifle before (12 bores and air rifles) and tried the X-Bolt and a Sauer 202 .308 on the day. The Browning won my vote. Very comfortable to shoot, crisp trigger and if I can shoot that well at 200yds then I'm not going to have any trouble with the test for DSC1 at 100yds out! I am seriously looking forward to owning one one day. :) (Of course I am well aware that this could all be down to beginners luck ;) )

I have x-bolts in both .243 and 30.06, the only difference between the two is the 30.06 is the fluted barrel version. The rifle is nice and light easy to use and safe, good clean safety and safe bolt release. The trigger while heavy is just how I like it, not a big fan of these ultra light breath triggers.. Would like to find a set of complete one piece mounts to go on top but that is all that I would change on the rifle.

Awesome gun don't think you will go far wrong with it. Good luck.

just a question about the x bolt can you top load a bullet into the magazine or do you have to take magazine out ?

just a question about the x bolt can you top load a bullet into the magazine or do you have to take magazine out ?
Never tried that, but the mag is easy enough to remove, I usually just drop the mag for a reload once the 5th round is chambered.
I can tell you that you can single load to your hearts content and never a problem, just chuck one in the top and shut the bolt.

Neil. :)

bought a A bolt in 243 about a month ago, on a budget an didn't expect much... really impressed with it so far.. an they say X bolts a better gun!!!

Back