Urban foxes

Steyer 6.5

Almost finished me night shift and so far seen 12 foxes around the Birmingham area and surrounding area and two munti does. It never stops amazing me the state of urban foxes. I've seen one tonight that was a big as a my german Shepard which weighs 32 kg. Then I've seen three with mange half tails and limps. My thought is if it was legal and the public would not cry in their milk. What does folk reckon would be a SAFE, HUMANE calibre to control the foxes?

If it is within an urban setting I don't think there is any choice but to trap and dispatch. A gunshot during the night is always going to cause alarm and the anti-publicity is what we don't need. .22 rimfire at point blank range would work for dispatch and is silent, but watch out for a richocet.

If it is within an urban setting I don't think there is any choice but to trap and dispatch. A gunshot during the night is always going to cause alarm and the anti-publicity is what we don't need. .22 rimfire at point blank range would work for dispatch and is silent, but watch out for a richocet.

we are talking Brum here
A gunshot at night...
no-one would bat an eyelid....:lol::lol:

as for calibre
anything that you are comfortable with and leagle to use
I like my .222 or .243 works for me:thumb:

I do a fair few urban foxes in my local town, all done in cage traps then dispatched with the .410 to the head.

.22lr with the NV and a big JLS centrfire stalker moddy, from an upstairs window onto a baited lawn. Worked for me in Swindon!

James

i would imagine that some of these fac air rifles would be up to the job at short ranges some of them seem to pack a bit of a thump plus a richocet of a air pellet has to expell its energy faster that a .22lr round

Sunday eve, drove all way down from Wales, one dead one on M5 St Michaels Wood. Got into Yate stopped to watch one on a pedestrian crossing eating remains of a take away. Very savy our urban foxes (22.15).

Looked a very nice specimen, however if he strays 1,000m or so might be a different matter.

D

I use a .22 down into the lawn at around 3-540ft. from inside the window.
silent. no louder than someone shutting an internal door.

NV is good but if you dont have it just put a red bicycle tail light near your bait. only lights up the fox when in the zone and makes them very visible through a normal scope

Shot quite a few on the back lawn at old house. Used cat biscuits scattered on the lawn to keep them intrested, 1000 watt outside light v helpfull, shootoing from upstairs window,head shot with .22lr, very effective.

D

i shoot urban foxes 6/7 nights aweek with a 22lr it isnt as bad as everyone says no accidents in 4 years .you just got to be sure your back stop is your back stop .i use dog food scatterd around the pre baited area .if you get it right your on your way home after a hour .

I hear a lot about urban fox's and have even seen a few but have no real idea of the scale of the problem. What kind of numbers do you see.

depending on the time of year . most i have taken from one garden is 7 in one evening over 3 hrs .but you always can hear another in the distance .i love the sound of them hitting the wooden fence panels as they come for there bait .but usealy i take 2-3 foxes from a garden in a evening .

Hollow point 9mm or .38 special something slow and heavy that at the right distance would not pass through the target. Or a round that disintegrates like .17 hmr does.

Plenty of urban foxes where I live and they are no problem whatsoever. I prepped a Red stag trophy a few weeks ago and all the assorted waste was left in the garden overnight, gone by the next morning. Can't see what all the fuss is about. Much prefer the foxes to some of my human neighbours, at least they have a use.

My neighbour has dementia. Gets meals on wheels and as soon as they are gone he puts the food on his lawn. The foxes eat it and cr*p on my grass. I can't cut the grass without getting covered in it. So I shoot them with the .22LR. No complaints from neighbours - shots are typically 7-15 ft with a safe backstop. If I can't get one to eat somewhere safe I put food in front of a bag of ballast and take them out in front of that. These animals are so used to human contact that they come towards you when you open the door. No time for them at all - many have mange and/or injuries. Better off dead.

Chaps some real interesting posts. Who has shot the biggest fox in weight? I would also say IMO 60% are sick in someway, mange, rtc damage, etc, etc.

I've only ever shot one fox with mange. Most round here are in good condition. Never weighed a fox.

the biggest one ive seen was 30lbs , bolted with a terrier and shot after it got the better of the first terrier , the biggest called and shot with a rifle was 28lbs . Ive killed quite a few with mange the worst one was completley bald , ive had them with three legs , one with a broken jaw and when i used to skin them you would be suprised how many were carrying shot gun pellets

Back