measuring a head

McStalk

can anyone help,, I downloaded a method 20 entry form from SCI , I know it is not for the uk, but its just to give me an idea of the size..
Are the scores a total of all the measurements, and are the measurements in inches,,
Just want to see if it is worth getting measured properly,,

Better in my opinion getting it measured by cic or basc up to you like
Length of antler,length of brow,length of tray,circumference of coronets and lower and upper beams
Dry weight of antlers,inside span,no.of points and then beauty points and minus penalty points
This is cic measurements,not sure at all about the SCI
Put it to cic,if it's that head you bumped into at the weekend;)It looked a cracker,if it doesn't make a medal there will be no charge
ATB

Hi McStalk,
I have done the same; downloaded the SCI forms and measured my own heads. It does help if you have watched somebody do one as there are ways to "maximise" the score. My experience is that as long as you take care and measure to the nearest eight of an inch you will get a reasonably accurate assessment.
It is the total of all the individual measurements added together. I did one of my own stags and made him 500 SCI; then had a chance visit from Duncan Fraser from NZ who is an official SCI score and he made the stag 508 SCI. At the very least you will know whether to get it done by an official. Best of luck!

Do any of you gents know if the bay tines are measured or is it just the brow and tray?

Thanks

Back