stainless over blued?

sir-lamp-alot

i was having a think about if i should go for a stainless barrel on my new rifle and obviuosly i know about stainless being better against the weather but i have a few more questions which i hope someone could help me with
do you shoot a stainless barrell in the same as blued
do you clean them the same
does a stainless barrell wear out quicker
and does the crown on a stainless still get eaten alive if the moderator gets left on

I think stainless is the way to go, barrel wear is partially mechanical but mainly surface corrosion due to hot gasses. Stainless
is better with hot gasses. Main reason why I would buy a stainless barrel is because I think one does not have to clean the
barrel as often. Less cleaning means less need to run off and put a few fouling shots through. The crown does seem to pit slightly
less too.
edi

Have been told by someone (fat bloke down pub most likely) that stainless wears out more quickly - dont know how true it is - just throwing it in for debate :stir:

Stainless any time. Good thing about a stainless barrel or action if it gets all marked.
you can have it bead blasted and it looks like new again.

It also takes the shine off it. Which is handy in the field and you dont want to stick out like a sore thumb

Last edited:
That stainless steel is RUSTPROOF is, as I am certain most know, not true. All steel will rust including stainless under the right (or rather "wrong") conditions.

I don't know anything technical about steel, but I do know, if you look after a blued barrel & action, you'll keep the rust at bay for a very very long time.
Just needs oil & cleaning.
The biggest problem is getting blood on the metal & not cleaning it off quickly enough...:tiphat:

That stainless steel is RUSTPROOF is, as I am certain most know, not true. All steel will rust including stainless under the right (or rather "wrong") conditions.

Rust is iron oxide.
Stainless is less affected by corrosion. Martensitic type (can be hardened) stainless is the more corrosion affected, oily rag will do.
A Gunmaker, not gunsmith, that I know likes stainless for a multitude of reasons...

I was once told by a well known custom rifle maker that stainless barrels are chambered slightly "looser" because the steel is slightly less forgiving in the event of an accidentally over cooked handload. (I leave you to debunk this in another thread) The discussion was about accuracy, and the inference was that SS barrels would therefore, arguably, lack the inherent accuracy potential. Just thought I would throw that in to make your choice harder ;)

I have know doubt we are all aware of the affect that neglect causes. I used a Tikka Master ( blued for many years)

thn changed to Stainless Sythetic ,as it dose not require the same TLC and I like the fact that the Stock is the same.

Granted they are not as pretty as wood (but a lot harder wearing).

So anything that makes life easier is surely a PLUS!!

To each thier own, best of luck in whichever you choose.

Rgds, Buck.

I like blued but I grew up during the early years of stainless when the machining finish was almost always sub standard. That is it better now does little to sway me. I clean my rifles, lightly oil the finish, and have had no problems. When gun shopping,I am almost completely oblivious to rifles sporting stainless steel works tucked into synthetic stocks. When salesmen offer to let me handle one I instinctively decline so it is certainly esthetics: I just don't like tinsel and plastic.~Muir

I was once told by a well known custom rifle maker that stainless barrels are chambered slightly "looser" because the steel is slightly less forgiving in the event of an accidentally over cooked handload. (I leave you to debunk this in another thread) The discussion was about accuracy, and the inference was that SS barrels would therefore, arguably, lack the inherent accuracy potential. Just thought I would throw that in to make your choice harder ;)

If I was you i would find yourself a new rifle maker:cuckoo:. Stainless for me, far more practical and SS rifles hold their value better and are easier to sell. I appreciate that a blued rifle can be wiped over with an oiled rag and will last for years. If you are camping/stopping in caravans in the forest condensation is a problem, especially up here. The other point is, you come in after dark to your tent, you need to make something to eat sort you dog and are shattered after extracting an animal and it is raining. Even the most anal about rifle clearing can be tempted to put there rifle in the slip wet or with condensation on.

Of cause if you only stay in 5 star hotels when stalking, you won’t be bothered about your blued rifle going rusty because it will be an excuse to buy a new one.
:stir:

ATB

Tahr

If I was you i would find yourself a new rifle maker:cuckoo:. Stainless for me, far more practical and SS rifles hold their value better and are easier to sell. I appreciate that a blued rifle can be wiped over with an oiled rag and will last for years. If you are camping/stopping in caravans in the forest condensation is a problem, especially up here. The other point is, you come in after dark to your tent, you need to make something to eat sort you dog and are shattered after extracting an animal and it is raining. Even the most anal about rifle clearing can be tempted to put there rifle in the slip wet or with condensation on.

Of cause if you only stay in 5 star hotels when stalking, you won’t be bothered about your blued rifle going rusty because it will be an excuse to buy a new one.
:stir:

ATB

Tahr

Alternatively you can always use wire wool to clean,:rofl: years since any of mine had any blueing left.:old:

Is it just me.....why do people want any excuse going to clean their rifles less often? Mine gets used up to 4 or 5 times a week, every time it gets used it gets cleaned, even if not fired it gets the basics, a well looked after gun shoots better, lasts longer, and is safer whether blued or stainless. I do think it somewhat ironic that we spend so much time dulling down our appearance wearing greens and browns if not cammo, then go and have a nice shiny steel barrel.......:cuckoo:

hi, guys ,stainless does corrode ( rust ) ,but is not as easy to spot because the corrosion products are not red ..
barrel makers like stainless to work with because the grades most used by them is earier to work and should result in smoother rifiling ( shorter run in times) ..
It is some what softer than chro/moly so it deforms or wears quicker than chro/moly ..
I prefer wood blue but have a BSA majestic with a stainless barrel

I don't know the answer to which is best, stainless or blued. However I do know that stainless steel does and will corrode in pretty much the same way as plain carbon steel. So if your choice of barrel material is based solely on which type needs better care or more or less cleaning don't be fooled into thinking that stainless does not require cleaning. Otherwise you may well end up with a pitted barrel.

Sir-Lamp-alot,
I downloaded a page from RPA entitled "Care of stainless steel barrels" the breaking in and cleaning regimes are both in it.
Hope that this helps.

Paul

Back