Not sure if this is of any interest but it has been very rewarding for me - it's the story of a (hopefully) improving herd of roe on an estate in the north of the county. It had no history of management when I took it over 3 years years ago. Woods heavily overbrowsed.
The woods are mixed but on poor soil. Grazing is rectricted due to lots of sheep (some liver fluke evidence - now less common) and pheasants are hand fed so feeding is never going to be great.
I have been suprised at how quickly I have seen an improvement in both heads and, more importantly body weights with an average increase of 6 pounds per carcase.
As well as some poaching incidents recorded RTA's were recorded - usually 2 or 3 annually, now thankly none for the last 2 years also some deer found dead including this very old, poor 4 pointer - teeth smooth flat.
So I started by shooting all the yearling and young bucks virtually 'on sight' inc this 2yo. And, of course hitting the does hard. Aiming at 50% cull to reduce population across the estate. Due to pheasant shooting only being allowed on to most of the ground in Feb was a challenge, the law change has helped with March but I do my best to keep to yearling does in the new month.
The early mature bucks taken were poor. This fella was 5 and has 6 points but they don't get above the ears in height.
Then finally - and having problems with the pic so might have to follow this year was able to take a really nice, old 7 pointer. He was with a super, young 6 pointer whose antlers were, at least another 2 inches taller.
A rewarding job - still half done but, its the first time I have looked after a patch with no history of culling and it does show that we can make a difference.