.45-70 Loads for Boar

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
Hi all,

I am looking for some loads suitable for driven boar. The rifle is a Marlin underlever with short 18.5" barrel.

Bullets available are:

Hornady 350gr sp
Cast Performance 300gr with gas check
Casp Performance 405gr with gas check

WP_000225.jpg

Need suggestions on powder and loads please!

thanks,

Alex

Hello
I use a 375 HH with 300gr bullets, but I know someone in Eversham, uses a 45-70 on everything and reloads, I'll ask him if I can pass his details on.

For my marlin 45/70 I use 30 grain reloader 7 and a 405 reming ton soft point , very good accuarcy on paper, not used in anger yet, but hope to blood it on the does next month

RL-7, 3031, H4895 would be good powders for that length of barrel. I would use the 300 grain bullet, mostly due to the bullet shape which will feed well under less than perfect circumstances. I use a similar RCBS 45-300GC in my Mauser 98 45-70 and a Marlin 1895. For a 45-70 is shoots flat, and hits amply hard. I hit a large mule-deer doe with that bullet at 70 yards (over RL-7) and it was like the Hand of God. Down instantly without even a quiver.~Muir

Another good powder. I just shoot a lot of 4895 in other calibers so I lean that way. One of my most accurate loads was a stout charge of RL-7 under a Lyman 457-122 HP. It would shoot clover leaf groups at 100M. I ran out of RL-7 and used some of my vast supplies of 4895. It shot about the same so there I stayed. I use 4198 primarily for light cast bullet loads for bottle necked rifle cartridges.~Muir

Do not forget to crimp the rounds before you use them in the underlever as the bullets will move back in to the case with the recoil! but i guess you knew that.

Bob

Do not forget to crimp the rounds before you use them in the underlever as the bullets will move back in to the case with the recoil! but i guess you knew that.

Bob

Very good point, cheers Bob!

I never hesitate to mention that if you are using a 45-70 you should make every attempt to cast some of your own bullets. I can't imagine what those commercially cast bullets are running you but I can guarantee you can make them for pennies. Some of the best designs just aren't commercially available. The ancient 330 grain, Gould Hollow Point bullet, Lyman #457122 is an example. They are tedious to make but oh so accurate and a ferocious killer of game. Between that and the RCBS bullet mentioned earlier you have my favorite and most often used 45-70 bullets in my bolt gun. My son favors the HP in his Marlin.~Muir

Hello
I use a 375 HH with 300gr bullets, but I know someone in Eversham, uses a 45-70 on everything and reloads, I'll ask him if I can pass his details on.
Hello Again
I have spoken my friend in Eversham, If you give a call on 07971 838106 I'll give you his details

Sorry Cranhill, I somehow missed your post. I think I'm sorted now but if I get stuck I'll contact you, thanks!

Out of the powders specified my local dealer only had H4198 so that's what I've opted for to start with...

Hodgdon list for Hornady 350gr JRN Start: 48.5 Max 54.0

Reading around 46.5gr will rattle my fillings and that's below the listed start load, so I've worked up some loads in 0.5gr increments from 46 to 49. Hopefully I'll find a nice consistent load within that range!

45-70 Loads 002 (Large).JPG

.44 magnum next to .45-70 for comparison :D

45-70 Loads 003 (Large).JPG

Yeah. It will rattle your teeth. Marlin lever guns are relatively light and will punish you with the right load. My Siamese Mauser 45-70 is a heavy rifle but it will kick the life out of me with top loads.~Muir

Enough crimp do you think? The case walls are quite thick, I think I'd struggle to get much more with this die at least... It's just starting to leave a witness mark on the edge of the brass.

.45-70 Loads 002.JPG

Just got back from trials. Big thank you to Mike (8x57) for letting me dig big holes out of his backstop at Monmouth Rifle Club :D

Settled on 47 grains of H4198 under a Hornady 350 grain flat point which gave an acceptable group. On the chrono it was producing about 1915 fps so basically it will be fatal to pigs :D

Recoil is err 'lively'. Worked up to about 49.5 grains by which time my thumb had hit my face a couple of times and as I already had an acceptable load at 47 grains decided to stop there. The remaining rounds will be pulled and reloaded to 47 grains :D

Felt recoil shooting standing will be much softer I'm sure, so no problems there.

Last edited:
Back