New rules for visitors permits

barongcw

I have just been told by the Home Office via my local policeforce that with immediate effect there is no need any more to submit the original of a European Firearms Pass to obtain a UK visitors permit for both shotguns and rifles.

From now on a copy will do. This copy has to show clearly the personal details and address, the guns and/or rifles on the EFP as well as the expiry date.

Makes life easier.

Thats interesting, as that how it was in my area until fairly recently they now insist on the original European Firearms Pass.

Suggest that you politely tell them that they cannot insist anymore on originals. If they doubt you ask them to contact the Home Office.

I have just done visitors permits for 4 DKs on copys got them back 48 hour later Hertfordshire firearms were great very helpfull top marks to them .
On the other hand ryan air suck they want 1 months notice .

I have just done visitors permits for 4 DKs on copys got them back 48 hour later Hertfordshire firearms were great very helpfull top marks to them .
On the other hand ryan air suck they want 1 months notice .

Thought Ryanair accepted no guns or rifles. Am I wrong?

I have been sending Northern Constabulary a scanned copy of my EFP for the last three years via email and posting the original application form. I normally get my Visitors Firearms Permit and Visitor's Shotgun License in 7 or 8 days. They are very efficient and have granted me all that I had asked for: .243, 6.5x57, .308, .300 Win Mag and 9.3x62

My area often turn them around quite quickly and I have had them done almost immediately in an emergency , but won't guarantee issue if they don't have the application on their desk at least 28 days before expected arrival date.
However I have no issue with that as long as you know, its when you don't know how long they will take that it can be a problem.

What annoys me is that I have clients who come several times a year, year after year so I get them an 11 month visitors permit in spite of telling them how long it takes they send their European pass requiring their visitors permit renewed the week before they expect to come, when I complain they say you managed to do it in a couple of days last year, maybe I should not put the application in and just tell them I could not get it in time, I have a good relationship with the firearms department and have always got the permits in time, however I am fed up of asking time after time if they can rush it through.

I have been sending Northern Constabulary a scanned copy of my EFP for the last three years via email and posting the original application form. I normally get my Visitors Firearms Permit and Visitor's Shotgun License in 7 or 8 days. They are very efficient and have granted me all that I had asked for: .243, 6.5x57, .308, .300 Win Mag and 9.3x62

Now that is interesting.
Do you as a foreign resident complete and sign your own Visitors Firearm/Shotgun Permit? Up till now I always thought that has to be completed by someone resident in the UK.

Now that is interesting.
Do you as a foreign resident complete and sign your own Visitors Firearm/Shotgun Permit? Up till now I always thought that has to be completed by someone resident in the UK.

That is correct, my sponsor fills in the form, now that you remind me. I give him the details he needs with regards to calibres and serial numbers. Northern Constabulary then post the permit directly to me in Switzerland. We submit our application in early January along with a letter stating the dates of my first intended trip, usually in late January. I usually send them a polite email thanking them for a job well done which they like. I had thought of sending them a few bottled to express my gratitude but am not sure if that would be appropriate?

Back