Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Venison

Do you think that venison is sold in the correct way and why do the shops sell all deer as just venison. My aunt likes red deer from the north and when she went down to Norfolk she bought venison from a butchers. She said it tasted disgusting and was definitely off. I tried to say that she has expected it to taste like highland red deer when in fact it will have been something quite different.
    It has put her off buying any more venison .When a label to say what type of deer it was would have been enough to let here decide .
    I am for correct labeling and think it will encourage more people to try different venison .It will also in my opinion let them choose one they like and buy that instead of rejecting it all together just in case they get the type they dislike.
    What do you lot think.?

Like most meat the care of the meat after slaughter and the choice of beast culled has more bearing that any other factor including geographical source.

A rutted out red stag is not going to compare to a pricket taken off the stubble. A beast not cooled after gralloching, maybe wrapped in plastic and not properly stored is going to be ruined.

There are differences in taste between the species and the length of hanging time also influences the flavour.

The venison in Norfolk had a good chance of being red although there are obviously several other options and I agree that labelling that indicated source and species would be very helpful. Of course you can always ask the butcher, a good one usually knows which farms and breeds their meat comes from and the venison should be no exception.

As Paul K says , A GOOD butcher if your lucky yes,
    but from the supermarket or one of the larger farm shops
    i dont think so , so perhaps labeling is the way to go?

I know one thing that a nice young munty has a totally different taste to a young red from the hill and some will not know what there getting and some will not ask thinking all venison is the same.

the butcher i supply venison to
    he asks which area, each beast were shot at and how long they hav been hung and how much more hanging that each beast may need, before cutting it up and packaging it, this info he passes on to his customers along with a few recipe suggestions, venison trade has never been so good for his little shop in the city, looks like his approach of telling his customers as much as he can about it certainly works well for him , plus the fact he charges less than the local supermarket might hav a bearing on this

Dose he ask which species of deer of dose he not care

If you guys recall the programme Dangerous Jobs for Girls the guy culling the animals there said it was going to be sold in Europe as venison
    soo think it could be a very generic label and wouldn't hold your breath when asking what it is or where its from

he really actually wants to know what species of deer it is , wether it is a buck or doe, how old puts it down on the packaging with appropiate recipes for that pacticular species of deer, does the same with the game i also supply him, and god forbid if in turn up and he has a shop full of customers, i end up having to give a little talk about the beast myself, straight from the horse's mouth

It seems that all species of deer taste good.

If it tasted bad it may just have been left to mature too long

I think I only just butchered the Roe I got in August in time. It was definately 'gamey', another few hours and it would have been too far gone.

Supermarkets don't label their standard meat properly, "lamb" is definitely a bit too tough for that label all too often for a start, so what hope have we for venison?
    If you want good venison, shoot it yourself or find a reputable game dealer and they are getting to be as rare as a meaningful food lable.
    Good luck!