View Poll Results: Which is the best venison?

40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red

3 7.50%
  • Fallow

8 20.00%
  • Roe

11 27.50%
  • Sika

6 15.00%
  • Muntjac

10 25.00%
  • CWD

2 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which species is the best venision?

Which species is the best venision?

Which species of deer provides the best venison. The question assumes that you are comparing prime animals of each species and not comparing rutted out red stags to prime August fallow prickets.

I think we have had this one before but for me a nice fat Sika Hind takes some beating.

Muntjac for me.
    Especially if they have been eating wheat from pheasant feeders......not sure why but is seems to soften the flavour and slightly lift the colour of the meat.

For me a well rutted red stag shot on October 20th.............. You drink more claret with it and plenty of malt afterwards before falling into bed. That is what my host gave me the other night.............Hic

Muntjac, no question about it. Sika comes a close second mind. And I suspect CWD won't get a fair showing as many of us haven't tasted it, but it comes a close third.

Pheasant for supper tonight though

1st chioce for me would be fallow loin chops off atleast a 2-3 year old buck that is shot around september time with that thick layer of fat on it, ever such so sweet tasting
    after that CWD leg steaks no seasoning served with chips
    follwed closely by the rest

I was once on a pheasant shoot near Aylesbury where the lunchtime fare was venison stew with five types of venison, only sika was missing.

a sika calf ,head shot dead before it hit the ground ,cleaned and bled on the spot allowed to cool for 12 hours skinned and in the cold room for no more than 5 days , a leg, slow roasted in olive oil black pepper a glass of red wine covered with two big oranges sliced then tin foil . roast parsnip carrot and slices of spuds in some of the cooking juice . mashed spuds ,deep fry long chips of parsnip tin as you can cut .try a little mint sauce with the venison .make your gravy from cooking juice. o and more red wine .my favourite meal of all .

Slurp all of the above please

I'm with legal on this one, they are all fine!
    However a well conditioned Fallow pricket giving up his fillets is a gift from the gods!