Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is 280 rem common in uk?

is 280 rem common in uk?

As the title suggests folks is the 280 rem common in the uk?

I have never seen one in a gunshop. There was one on guntader a while back. Not common!

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Only ever seen one and that was years ago,probably back in the early nineties. So not that common

I very nearly had a 280AI built, brought the 7mm barrel but changed my mind at the last minute, I think Brit hunter off here has a 280AI reamer, so does Dave of Valkyrie rifles having just built a 280. I believe Ronal Rose had one for Sika not sure if he still has it. But to answer your question no it is not common.

I think "Max" from on this site has one.

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

nope not common and I am not sure why. If I recall correctly enfieldspares from the site has one.

As far as I am aware neither BSA nor Parker-Hale offered the chambering. Although P-H might have done a special run which they seemed to do for special orders as they don't list the 7.92 Mauser in their catalogues yet they did make a batch of the 1200 Supers in 7.92mm.

Norman Clark it seems usually has new brass in 280 Rem. If he carries factory ammo ? dunno. I found it difficult to source around here when I need a box to check the Ackley chambering and test fire the .280AI.

The first case out of the new chamber.

I used a new in the white BSA CF2 barrel in 7x64 and adapted it to fit the Monarch action it was quite and easy conversion.

As Thar has pointed out yes I have a PTG 280 AI finishing reamer and a set of .280 Rem Go/No-Go gauges.

Thanks folks. Reason i asked is that i saw some discounted factory ammo for it and it caught my interest.

Thar, Ronalds 280 was the one i saw.

The Remington 280 is actually a good round, it was poorly marketed, in fact it's probably better than the 270 Winchester it certainly has a better bullet weight selection being a 7mm (0.284") now if your willing to stock up on some cases and hand load for it then if you have found a nice rifle go for it. It's more popular in Europe I understand due to the Semi Auto rifles chambered for it they can have. I believe it does a good job on Boar for one thing.

The 280 is particularly popular in France due to the Mil Calibre restrictions. I used a Rem semi-auto rifle (7400 I think ?) in 280rem there on a driven hunt a dozen or so years ago. Didn't actually get to shoot anything with it. I remember ammo stacked up for it in the Decathlon shop in Lille.

Other than in France I have never come across it in Europe, always 7x64 or 65R.

All that said, as a cartridge it makes perfect sense. As usual Remington made a Horlicks of the marketing - look at the mess they made of the 260rem - that should have been the easiest sell in history. If the 7mm-06 or 280rem had have been produced in decent factory rifles in the US in the 1920's and 30's, the 270 would have not have been born.

If I found a nice one in a rifle I liked I would buy it happily, but I would not go looking for one.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......