Pecar berlin 4-10x52

Mackensen

I have been offered a Pecar Berlin 4-10x52 for £150.00. It is old, well-used but in very good optical order. This would be my first variable 'scope (up until now I have only used 4x32 and 6x42) and I should like to put it on my .17 HMR. Grateful for any thoughts or advice!

I have pecar 6x45 on both my rifles ,quality scope and at £150 in my opinion you are getting a bargain.A pecar variable sold for over £200 on e-bay recently,as long as you are happy with the price and condition of the optics , go for it

deerhunter270

They are quality optics. Emma custom rifles normally try and source them, you might find a similar one to compare on their site. I think, if it is reasonable nick, you ought to buy it. Or let me.

Simon

Thanks for all that above - the chap who has offered it to me bought it nearly 40 years ago but it is clear and bright, reticle sharply-defined, though quite scratched and tarnished on the outside, and the focus/zoom functions work perfectly so I think I'll give it a try. Many thanks again for the advice.

Just remember that these Pecars are Moving reticle and not moving image so it's best to fit them up in windage adjustable mounts ;). The later Champion pecars are Moving Image and on the reticle/adjustment housing hve a circle with dot in the centre to denote this like this:-

PecarChampionSaddle.jpg

PecarChampionEyebell.jpg

The occular housing is marked Champion as you can see. Whilst the older classic models would be marked like so:-

51040250.jpg

In your case it will say Variable 4-10 instead of 3-7. Paul Burke can I believe fix up the outside of the scope if not there is another place in the West country I believe who can do it.

Brithunter,

Thank you - this one is not a "Champion", so could you just enlarge on your advice, please? Do you mean that, when zeroing, the crosshairs physically move, so best to take out as much adjustment as possible in the mounts before fine-tuning with the turrets? (Sorry if I am being thick!)

Yes that is what brithunter means ,the crosshairs will not be optically centred if it is not the champion model,i have had to do the same with the pecar on my rimmie using the mounts to do as much adjustment as possible

deerhunter270

OK - thank you. On my Ruger, using the excellent Ruger mounts and having "centred-up" the turrets, I have never had to make more than a few clicks either way to zero with any previous 'scope, so I guess the mounts are pretty "true" but there is no adjustment in the mounts themselves. I'll see how I get on ... many thanks!

I have one, needed re-gassing 10 years ago, but Pecar have stopped trading now. They are good scopes but the optics are now dated, check in different temperatures (in and out of a fridge) to test if you get internal condensation, if so with the cost of re-gassing it won’t be a good buy.

But £150, it should give years of use.

As I said there are a couple of places at least that can and do service and repair the Pecar scopes. Re-gassing I believe is not expensive. Somewhere I have a quote for a total rebuild including re-fisnih the exterior and the make and fit a Duples reticle and it was about £150 I seem to recall. Thats on a 3-7x35 that i picked up for £45 knowing it needed a rebuild/overhaul. Basically I would be getting back a like new scope. If it ever shows up again I'll get it sent off as it was all packed up ready to send when it was taken.

Well, following all your very helpful advice, I got the'scope and it turned out that, in fact, there was a flaw in the focusing mechanism. I sent it to Paul Burke in Birmingham (see related posts): what a lovely chap he is! He fixed the focus, serviced it, replacing seals etc, purged and re-gassed it for £45.00 plus p&p (which the vendor has kindly deducted from the price). Incredible service!

Brithunter, thank you for your advice about "moving image" etc. It went on pretty "true" with only a little adjustment required. I now have a beautiful sight and anyone who thinks 40-year-old German optics are a waste of time ought to come and have a peep through this one ...

Your preaching to choir................... ole son ..................... preaching to the choir ;). Let's hope the others don't learn as it means more to go around for us that do know :smug: so Shsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssh.

Here is another sermon to the choir

Remember the two P's ??????

Pecar and Parker Hale:D You wont go far wrong with either (or better still both) They can be found for very little money, and will last several lifetimes if looked after.

Both great quality and you will not regret either purchase. Quite frankly it amazes me whan folks spend £800-£1500 on rifles that they use a few times a year, and then have problems getting them accurate, with glass costing up to £1000 on top.

Pecar and Parker Hale - a winning combination

Lakey

Pecars are excellent (my Kassnar Beta 3 is actually a rebadged Pecar).

The optics are very good, however one word of warning is the lens coatings are relatively soft so take extreme care when cleaning them, they will scratch very easily.

Otherwise an excellent S/H buy.

D

Have had a 4-10X45 on various 243's and currently on my pro hunter and have found the scope to be a good match for all the rifles. I normally have it on 5 or 6 and only wind it up when zeroing. As stated when you increase the magnification it also magnifies the reticule which, when first applied looks strange. I did have mine regassed by a company in Birmingham who sent it back to the factory in Germany before it closed a few years ago. The quality of the optics is good and low light gathering is also good giving extra time towards dusk.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll be careful how I clean the glass as the lenses are unblemished. We have had a few days of murky November weather and I have been looking through it and comparing it (very subjectively and remember my eyes are 61 years old!) with a couple of other sights in these poor spying conditions. My Zeiss 4x32 fixed is probably a little brighter than the Pecar is on 6x; the Pecar is way better than an almost-new 3-9x50 Hawke (no surprises there ...). However, compared with a friend's S&B 3-12x50, the Pecar looks just as good up to about 8x, then falls off a bit as you go out to 10x and I guess that is what one would expect. I must say I am delighted with it, so thanks again for the encouragement and advice.

Back