Stalking Vehicle: What Do You Carry?

Pete E

I was just wondering what equipment people carry in their stalking vehicles? Also if they modified the vehicle for stalking in any way?

I travel for all my stalking, so I try to anticipate what I might need, but have a Jimny limits the space available somewhat..

Off the top of my head, excluding personal stalking kit, I normally carry the following:

Carcass tray
Stalkers wash box (home brewed one)
Wet wipes
Cleaning and disinfectant items for carcass tray ect
Insecticidal spray
4w LED Torch
Selection of gambrels and "S" hooks
Selection of chest spreaders
Small pulley hoist
PVC apron
Couple of smallish tarps
carcass scales
Drag strap (12' of 1" nylon webbing)
Plastic bags of various sizes
Folding spade
2 frosts knives and sharpener.
Vehicle first aid kit.
Secuteurs, pruning saw, 20" bow saw.
Drag bag or roesack as appropriate.
Security cable and lock (for rifle)
Rifle cleaning rod and kit
Tools and recovery items for vehicle (ie strops and shackles ect)
Paper Work as appropriate (ie maps, letter of permission, carcass tags ect)

In winter and if stalking somewhere remote, I will add a dry clothes, a sleeping bag, plus a small gas stove and a few provisions in case I have to spend the night in the vehicle unexpectedly.

Other items such as portable highseat and long handled pruners are carried as needed.

At present the only modification to my vehicle is to remove the rear seats and fit a new floor made from heavy duty plastic matting..

My list sounds a lot but most of the items are fairly small and store in a couple of plastic tool box. Other items such as the vehicle tools ect get stored under the front seats as they are not needed very often.

Hell's teeth...Sporstman don't have that much in stock.I count myself lucky if I've remembered the gun bolt!

Puts my humble list to shame!
Carcass tray
2 knives
Butt out tool
Drag Harness
Rifle
Ammo
Binos
Licence and permission.

That does me!!

scotspine said:
Hell's teeth...Sporstman don't have that much in stock.I count myself lucky if I've remembered the gun bolt!

LOL, I should add not everything gets remembered all the time, which is why I try to pack much of it into a couple of plastic tool boxes..

As I said, I travel for all my stalking and there is nothing worse than being somewhere remote for the weekend and needing a particular item badly..

Pete that sounds like Normal Bates on holiday! :lol:

I have much of the above plus :

2x5 litre bottles of water.
Lots of IKEAs 30p blue bags, also handy to sit on when left folded.
Squeezy bottle alcohol hand rub.
Shades and spare specs.
Eye drops (in first aid stuff, find them useful).
Camera.
Bug repellant.
'S' hooks - also from IKEA (kitchen section)
Bundle of para cord.
Can of petrol.

why not go the whole hog I have a van and can get the quad in it!!
makes life a lot easier for an old man with bad back mind you it has not been used for last week or so.

Hi Pete,
I run a Jimny too, great little vehicle! What do you use as a carcase tray?
My list is a little less expansive:-

Carried with me-
Two knives,
bone saw,
rope,
LED headlamp,
flask of hot coffee,
DOC'S
3b's- barrel, bolt, bullets,
plastic food bags.

Left in the Jimny-
old milk container of fresh water,
dog,
empty feed sacks,(to prevent leakage from carcase into wifes car, most important).
back up torch.

buckup,

I use a £14 Garlands Titan garden tray from the local garden center. If you contact Garland Products direct, I think they will post one out for not much more..

From memory, the tray is 100cm x55cm x 15cm deep, and will just about fit in a Jimny length ways if the rear seats are removed.

IMG_1069-1.jpg

If you have retained the seats, the tray will fit nicely across them when they are in the folded position.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Peter

I want to stalk with Pete E, I am lucky to have ammo, dog and knife.

I am forever forgetting binos etc and the amount of times I leave my sticks where I have shot a deer, my wife says shes surprised I have always come home with the dog.

Stuff that lives in my vehicle is only generally the head and feet of the last deer I shot. Most things get changed in and out so that I can fit in the dog cage for picking up, or if it does stay in there I forget its there.

I am going to copy your list laminate it and stick it to the sun visor in a bid to be organised.

Dog gun knife sticks roe sack in that the bins camera gloves. Never used a carcase tray never found a need.
I like to travel as light as i can

doghound said:
I want to stalk with Pete E, I am lucky to have ammo, dog and knife.

I am forever forgetting binos etc and the amount of times I leave my sticks where I have shot a deer, my wife says shes surprised I have always come home with the dog.

Stuff that lives in my vehicle is only generally the head and feet of the last deer I shot. Most things get changed in and out so that I can fit in the dog cage for picking up, or if it does stay in there I forget its there.

I am going to copy your list laminate it and stick it to the sun visor in a bid to be organised.

Doghound,

Truth is if you stalk relatively local to your home, you don't need all that stuff and some of it is also redundant..For instance, with the switch to using rubber gloves for the gralloch and wet wipes to clean up , there's not need for the washbox but I tend to carry it anyway..

The best thing to do is make a list of stuff thats applicable to your circumstances and bung it into a large plastic tool box that you can load into your vehicle as and an when you need it..

Regards,

Peter

buckup

Interested that you use the 3b's (which round my way is Arkell's Best Bitter Beer).

I use the 5b's - barrel, bolt, bullets, bino's, bipod. I recite this before I leave for stalking and when I'm back in the car afterwards, the latter to make sure I've not left something behind (this after I leant my bipod - stalking sticks - against the car and drove off, got home, realised what I'd done, drove 40 minutes back and retrieved them :oops: ).

In my bum bag I carry:

sheath knife (attached to belt)
antiseptic wipes
latex gloves
para cord
smaller folding knife
small folding saw (on the basis that the best time to cut a good stick is when you see it!)
small folding emergency blanket
small AAA maglite torch
leather roe sling
tissues/lens cloth
small roll of surveyors tape (for tracking)
small plastic freezer bags (one for pluck, one for rubbish)
spare ammo
FAC/docs
spare cammo gloves

In the car I have a carcass tray and a thermos!

willie_gunn

Think you've got it all - I would just add a big, powerful spotlight with car charger - good for finding carcases that the wee head torch can't after dusk shooting.

nickjackson said:
Think you've got it all - I would just add a big, powerful spotlight with car charger - good for finding carcases that the wee head torch can't after dusk shooting.

Nick,

I agree that a good torch or lamp is a critical bit of kit for the very reasons you mention. I used to use a Lazer lamp, but switched to the 4W LED torch. Its a lot smaller only being similar to the big maglite's, but is far brighter and with a very good battery life too...

Roedinator,

Organisation is the key mate! :lol:

If you look at the earlier picture I posted, most of the kit mentioned is stowed away around the vehicle with the majority being out of sight.

The stalkers wash box is in the foot well behind the passenger seat, the vehicle tool kit and tow strops ect, folding spade, vehicle first aid kit, and a couple of small tarps are under the front seats..The bow saw is in the "hollow" under the plastic floor in the back, and that box you can see contains most of the smaller stuff...My roe sack, rifle ect were probably on the ground outside the vehicle as I took the pic, waiting to be stowed into the space at the side of the carcass tray...

I am thinking about putting a wooden shelf across the rear...I have seen quite a few pics Jimny's that have been fitted out with one of these and it looks like it works very well...It just needs to be high enough of the back floor so that the carcass tray and any carcasses can still slide under it...

Regards,

Peter

roedeered have a disco for that

pete have sent off a template that i designed for my jimny
to a guy that does my high seats sort of all in one
loadliner that fits the whole rear of the vechile with a dog
partition as well to use for feeding pheasants . stalking .
any mud . blood . or anything else drains into the sump at the back
then the whole thing can be taken out and hosed down etc
if he ever finishes it i will post some pictures being made
from alloy or a light steel .

Back