Blaser R8 OAL

I won't know without double checking mine, that said Blasers are engineered to exceptionally high standards and are designed to be interchangeable

I won't know without double checking mine, that said Blasers are engineered to exceptionally high standards and are designed to be interchangeable

So Blaser have discovered a way to make chamber reamers last forever without the need for sharpening.......................... :rolleyes:.

So Blaser have discovered a way to make chamber reamers last forever without the need for sharpening.......................... :rolleyes:.
I don't know as I only shoot with one, I don't get involved in their manufacture at all. I do understand that the barrels are made by another company in the group and I would guess that they use more than one set of machine tools, it would come as no surprise to me if these tools are all made to the same specification. Anyway back to the subject of the thread the OAL on your Blaser R8 is......?

What brit hunter is saying ,is is if one barrel is done with a brand new cutter by the time it has reached its seviceable life it will be significantly smaller, therefore your oal may well be different to another barrel, so should be measured for safety on your specific barrel

Hi,
Has anyone measured their Blaser R8 .243w chamber for OAL ? Any data would be much appreciated.
Tim
It will depend on what bullet you are using because they vary in shape at the ogive. Having said that, mine, measuring with an overall length gauge for 75gn Vmax is 2.645. As also stated, there are manufactoring and wear factors to consider.

What brit hunter is saying ,is is if one barrel is done with a brand new cutter by the time it has reached its seviceable life it will be significantly smaller, therefore your oal may well be different to another barrel, so should be measured for safety on your specific barrel
Many thanks for your comments I think that a discussion on how Blasers are made would make a very interesting topic for a separate thread!
However having done some preliminary measurements of my own using the bullet in an empty case method I thought that whilst I am awaiting the use of a proper gauge to do the job accurately it might be interesting to discuss and compare with other interested Blaser owners the data that they have obtained.
So back to the matter in hand the OAL on your Blaser R8 is.......?:tiphat:

Many thanks for your comments I think that a discussion on how Blasers are made would make a very interesting topic for a separate thread!
However having done some preliminary measurements of my own using the bullet in an empty case method I thought that whilst I am awaiting the use of a proper gauge to do the job accurately it might be interesting to discuss and compare with other interested Blaser owners the data that they have obtained.
So back to the matter in hand the OAL on your Blaser R8 is.......?:tiphat:

Ok whilst waiting for your Lock'N'Load or whatever. May i suggest you carefully size a case from your rifle then using a junior hacksaw slit the neck, deburr the slits, then pusha bullet just into the case neck so it just stays in place the carefully chamber this dummy round the lead will push the bullet back. Adjust you die to just touch the bullet very carefully and you have it set so with that particular bullet in you chamber is just kissing the leade. The next bullet's ogive might be a bit different of course but we the customer cannot do much about manufacturing variations..

Then measure the OAL of your dummy and seat it back at least 0.25" the carefully test some hand-loads at that setting. I would personally set the bullet at least 0.050" and work from there as in my own experience I have never found any or my rifles to shoot best with the bullet close to the lands even though this is opposite to what we so often read and seems to be the fashion.

Ok whilst waiting for your Lock'N'Load or whatever. May i suggest you carefully size a case from your rifle then using a junior hacksaw slit the neck, deburr the slits, then pusha bullet just into the case neck so it just stays in place the carefully chamber this dummy round the lead will push the bullet back. Adjust you die to just touch the bullet very carefully and you have it set so with that particular bullet in you chamber is just kissing the leade. The next bullet's ogive might be a bit different of course but we the customer cannot do much about manufacturing variations..

Then measure the OAL of your dummy and seat it back at least 0.25" the carefully test some hand-loads at that setting. I would personally set the bullet at least 0.050" and work from there as in my own experience I have never found any or my rifles to shoot best with the bullet close to the lands even though this is opposite to what we so often read and seems to be the fashion.
Thanks for your advice, I have this in hand and have obtained a couple of measurements, I am hoping to borrow a gauge next week and will post the results in due course

I shoot 70gn ballistic tips in my r93, 2,290 to the ogive measured with 6mm stoney point comparator, shoot raggy hole at 100 and sub 1" at 300. They also work well in my mates tikka but you have to fire them or it pulls the head off!!Some people are very familiar with "pulling the head off"!!!

I shoot 70gn ballistic tips in my r93, 2,290 to the ogive measured with 6mm stoney point comparator, shoot raggy hole at 100 and sub 1" at 300. They also work well in my mates tikka but you have to fire them or it pulls the head off!!Some people are very familiar with "pulling the head off"!!!
That's 0.015 off.

full length every time.
my 25-06 is 0.296 off due to mag restriction, the .308 was some way off too (never measured that one).
everthing shoots really well in all i've had (22-250, 243, 2 x 25-06 and a 308)

full length every time.
my 25-06 is 0.296 off due to mag restriction, the .308 was some way off too (never measured that one).
everthing shoots really well in all i've had (22-250, 243, 2 x 25-06 and a 308)
Thanks again Gary, I have had a problem with some of my reloads not firing in my old R93 and with the new R8, I suspect that I may have seated some of my primers too deep at around 5 - 7 thou, have you ever had this problem?

i wouldnt know how to seat a primer any different to how i do it - i just squash them in until they dont go any further??????

Back