Raising stock comb and changing stock colour???

DanGriff

I have a 22 hornet and would like to raise the comb of the stock so my cheek is resting slightly higher. It currently has a stained wood stock with a rubber comb raiser that is stuck on the top of the comb with double sided tape. Although is doesn't look that bad at the moment I would like to do something more permanent. I would also like the sock staining or painting black so whatever I do to raise the comb is also needs to be black to make a overall neater job of it.

My options so far that I can think if is colour the stock black and leave the rubber comb raiser on and cover it with a black stock cover. This would look ok but again it wouldn't be permanent and I would still be hiding a bit of a bodge job.

I once spotted a picture of a black stock raiser that arched over the top of the stock and could be adjusted in height, this may be the best option if I am to do it myself. Does anyone know where I can get one of these and what they are called. I also do like the 'tactical' (ish) look with one of these fitted.

Thirdly, I could get a professional to raise the stock by adding an extra piece of wood into it or possibly get someone to cut a piece out of the stock and make it so it's adjustable(presuming there is a kit you can get to do this). If I went down this route could anyone rcomend somebody to send the stock to that would be able to do what I need doing and what sort of cost would be involved.

Can anyone think of any other ways to raise the comb I gabby though of and if I coloured the stock black myself what would be the best paint or stain to use and what would be the best way of doing it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice.

Karsten stock raiser is the over arching plastic thing you are talking about. An adjustable conversion will cost you the best part of £300 so depends what the rifle is worth to you.

I find most standard stalking rifle stocks are too low

Dave

Does anyone know where I can get the karsten thing from or how much they are?
It has a Burris 4.5x14x40 scope on it, but it had fixed metal type sights, I have taken these off and just had 6 inch chopped off the barrel, I think the stock was designed to be used with the old sights, that's why it sits low.
I didn't really want to spend another £300 on it, I have just bought a roedale mod and had it chopped, I think the karsten adjuster and staining it black might be the way to go.
What sort of stain would I use and would I have go over the stain with anything?

This might seem obvious but a photo of the stock/rifle may help folks to help you. What wit the myriad of stock designs out there right now we don't have much idea of what yours is and how we can really help.

Are they too low or are we all using overly excessive objective lenses? That's what I put my lack of cheek weld down to.

Probably a combination of both. My stalking rifle comes up perfect and when I have a good cheek weld the iron sights are perfectly aligned. There is no scope that will put the centre of the Eye Piece that low irespective of Objective Glass.

Dave

Does anyone know where I can get the karsten thing from or how much they are?
It has a Burris 4.5x14x40 scope on it, but it had fixed metal type sights, I have taken these off and just had 6 inch chopped off the barrel, I think the stock was designed to be used with the old sights, that's why it sits low.
I didn't really want to spend another £300 on it, I have just bought a roedale mod and had it chopped, I think the karsten adjuster and staining it black might be the way to go.
What sort of stain would I use and would I have go over the stain with anything?
Give Simon Wilmore a ring at Doveridge shooting ground he does proper adjustable stocks, if you look on ukvarminting.com sight a there are a couple of pictures
Geordie

Just a quick update, I painted it black and sprayed it with a protective clear coating from b&q, it now looks like a synthetic stock. I managed to get a neoprene stock cover for the butt of the stock that came with foam inserts to put on top of the comb, the neoprene cover then goes over it and looks a neat job. I am happy with it now and it fits me perfect.

thats a cracking job you have made.
I like the link but would prefer an unseen adjustment screw through the rubber of the recoil pad.

I used to have a neoprene bear tooth comb raiser kit for my combi but after a while bit the bullet and had a gunsmith cut the stock and install an adjustable comb raiser kit, turned out great and I'm really happy I went ahead with it.

Here's a pic
b5932aa2.jpg

thats a cracking job you have made.
I like the link but would prefer an unseen adjustment screw through the rubber of the recoil pad.

Thanx Bewsher.
It wasn't easy but quite possible if you have the balls to chop your stock and a bit of woodwork skill.
Just make sure you keep your claps, levels and measurements right when drilling and sawing as things tend to move.

This one might be better for you as adjustment screws are on the underside.
Adjustabe Cheek Piece - MitcheJC's Air Rifle Stock Junction

AliS... Yes fully, grub srews hold tight at any height and haven't slipped a bit.

Thanx Bewsher.
It wasn't easy but quite possible if you have the balls to chop your stock and a bit of woodwork skill.
Just make sure you keep your claps, levels and measurements right when drilling and sawing as things tend to move.

This one might be better for you as adjustment screws are on the underside.
Adjustabe Cheek Piece - MitcheJC's Air Rifle Stock Junction

that is very slick.
I am all for unseen fixings, especially on a rifle

Back