Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fencing

Was doing my rounds the other day when I had to cut a Roe doe out of a fence. Her leg had caught between the two top wires when jumping over it-as can happen with dogs, too. I've seen this happen I dont know how many times now, and usually its been too late to save the deer. Was just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of any ways of putting up a good stock fence(standard type with rylock then one or two wires on top of that) that avoids this kind of thing happening(without stating the obvious, please!).

Tis difficult to stop this occuring with even a single strand and 'pig netting' below. The leg goes through, weight goes over then effectively pins the leg between the two. There isn't really a solution if you need the stock fence there - unless you can teach the deer to jump higher? Perhaps longer than conventional posts and wider apart strands of wire so less tension is created if the leg does get caught?

Heart breaking when this happens. I had to put a Roe out of its' misery that had the two hind feet ripped off by the wire - it was hobbling around on the joints with the bone showing on both legs.

I've heard that putting the top wire on the opposite side of the post to the stock netting gives more room for any limbs caught to be freed, but have no experience as to whether it actually helps or not.

Not a good situation, I remember years ago seeing a good fallow buck that had got his antlers caught and had broken his neck, damn shame.

Do you need rylock, or are you grazing sheep? Might sound a bit stupid, but we only used rylock where we had tack sheep, otherwise it was two strands of barbed for the cattle. Might be an expensive option, but if you don't intend putting sheep out in that area, replace the fence with the barbed, Roe will usually go underneath it.

Victoria Australia Sambar country.
    There are thousands of roo`s in Oz caught like that every year.

Have you thought of a top wire in the 'horse sighter" wire it is usually a normal high ten wire that's plastic coated and readily visible.

Unfortunately i'm approaching double figures this year again and that's jist the ones i find alive, i jist put them out htere misery now and try and save as much as i can for the freezer. Had a buck kid last week, i really felt bad about it, bit off a bambi moment, but there legs are usually disslocated i have seen them with amputated hoofs/lower legs and heel over

The estate to it's credit has tried quite a few different fencing styles to try and minimise this. At the moment they are trying a plain wire and barb very close to the net (plain on top, barb 1"-2" above) it has helped but deer now tend to catch there hoofs/legs between the upright of net and top wire.

Thought about this at work today, wot might work is a barb very close/on top of net (if u only have the 1 barb 6" above beasts will push there heads throu and u get those big sags in net) and the 2nd barb 5" or 6" above that. Barb is fairly visible and should encourage them to jump higher. Althou the problem wi fallow is they tend to give a wee back kick/flick with back feet when they jump and that's wot tends to get them

Johnny never came across horse sighter wire before here or over in oz (was a while back and ended up doing a lot of vineyard fencing out off murray brig) nearest thing to it would be the green treated plain wire, althou i dinae think it would make that much difference

it needs a short of spacer , wooden or metal , to stop the wires binding together when they spin . How you would do it i dont know and it would be expensive

Shot Yesterday on "Herberts " ground by SD member Steve. Leg had completely healed over and she was in good condition.

Attachment 10177Attachment 10176

Meant to say after i seen troubles post above, it would be relatively simple and cheap if u want to try a spacer or dropper between the posts. I'd get some timber of approx 2"x1" or similar and cut to lengths to catch the top 3 line wires on net (assuming 'rylock' type stock net) as well as the 2 barbs and leave mibee's 2-3" overhang each end to avoid the timber splitin when u steeple it on to the wires, then simply steeple the wires onto it, i'd use smaller steeples than normal fencing ones and miss the middle line wire off net (ie 4 steeples per dropper).

U could jist try this around their main runs and any places u tend to find them caught mibee a fence post or 2 either side. I have to admit i have no idea if it will stop the deer gettin caught up but would be very easy to try and see in the hotspots.
    Hope it works for u

You can by spacers for the top 2 strands. You could try offsetting the top wire by about 12". Set it at 90 degree and make it hi viz. this means the deer have to jump further back and gives the illusion of depth so they will try to clear it instead of just hop over.