a .308 for stalking and a bit of long range work, whats your thoughts.

bobjs

i have a savage m10 at the moment that i was planning to use for range days,

but since the renewal of my cert and i fancy having a .308 for stalking and a bit of long range work (varminting)

what would you go for,

it will have to be a used rifle as im out of work and will move the savage on first.

would also like the barrel to be 22" and mag fed.

bob.

,you dont say what other calibres you own ,just curious as to the varminting part of the question ,i know the 308 is capable of long range target shooting but dont think it would be my first choice for varmints .....fox ,crow etc not having a pop at all just curious chap .i do myself own a 308 but it is only used for deer and the odd fox ,i use a 22.250 for most of my longer range vermin control
regards
norma

Slightly longer tube than your ideal, but I've had my Steyr-Mannicher Model L .308 'Varmint' for over 20 years and shot everything from vermin, (not the weapon of choice but it will do if needed), to 600m target via Soay sheep and the biggest Westcountry red stags without problem. Semi-heavy forged 'candy twist' barrel, rotary 5 round magazine, double set triggers and ventilated forend target style stock, maybe not for everyone but it does everything I want.

View attachment 10128

EDIT: Should have added that it will cloverleaf at 160m with handloads.

Last edited:
thank you

well i run a 243 for deer and fox, a 20 tac for fox and vermin (bunnies crows etc out to 250 with ease. 17 hmr for land that is not cf safe, i have used a 308 steyr police special out to 1200 at bisley but i am not in a position to shoot target / prone shooting any more, so being a lover of the 308 and i wish to hold the slot than i just wanted to see what others thought of the question and see what comes back.

i suppose i could used the 308 just for deer and then run a 65 gr pill in the 243 for varminting,(now that's not a bad idea) i don't fancy hitting a munty on Thursday with a 308 though ??

bob

i don't fancy hitting a munty on Thursday with a 308 though ??

Why not Bob? If the sharp bit isn't driven too fast, (I run 150 Nosler BT at circa 2700), then it will put anything down with acceptable carcase damage when put in the right place.

Why not Bob? If the sharp bit isn't driven too fast, (I run 150 Nosler BT at circa 2700), then it will put anything down with acceptable carcase damage when put in the right place.

hi big man

that was going to be my next question

being a bit of a varminter as well as a very keen foxer, i was about to ask those that shoot the 308 at deer what they use load wise.

im running 110 v max just now for fox and vermin and thats about 3010 fps, but i can't use this on deer.

I am hoping to get to salisbury tomorrow for a bit of stalking 1st of november and my favorate time has arrived doe's are my favorate.

so 308 loads for munty roe and fallow.

bob.

my caliber choice for longrange varminting would be 25-06 and 85gr nosler ballistic tip,i found magic load that groups about half inch at 200yds butt supported,its fast and flat shooting,ive taken many a woody and crows past 400yds,longest to date is 496 yard crow,atb swarovski

cheers bud

just sold my custom built 6mm br and im just behind you on the longets shot (well thats a lie) my shooting buddy Craig in Salisbury took a bunnie at 490 yards running the zeiss 6.5/20x50 rapid z ret and a 75 gr nosler pill, stunning to watch, even if it was a mate using my rifle. :)

bob.

110gr v max do 3450 fps in my 30-06 according to chrony,low bc on them,ok out to 300,have grouped them aound 1 inch at 300,need a bolt tail bullet after that range,have tried them on roe,not good for chest shot,headshot well well well,,nufin left bar the ears,turns charlies inside out,22/250 ok in perfect conditions,a little breeze and shots get blown off

cheers bud

just sold my custom built 6mm br and im just behind you on the longets shot (well thats a lie) my shooting buddy Craig in Salisbury took a bunnie at 490 yards running the zeiss 6.5/20x50 rapid z ret and a 75 gr nosler pill, stunning to watch, even if it was a mate using my rifle. :)

bob.
my mate had a crow with his 223 using a 55gr nos bal tip head at 503yds,ive had a crack out past that several times but missed so far just a little left or right,isnt many days without a breath of wind

.308 is good for target work of you want to get anywhere near 100yrd look for one with a 30 inch barrel. Have recently discoverd .223 and must admit I wonder why I hadn't considered it before it's a great little calibre capable on the range and great on vermin.

thank you

well i run a 243 for deer and fox, a 20 tac for fox and vermin (bunnies crows etc out to 250 with ease. 17 hmr for land that is not cf safe, i have used a 308 steyr police special out to 1200 at bisley but i am not in a position to shoot target / prone shooting any more, so being a lover of the 308 and i wish to hold the slot than i just wanted to see what others thought of the question and see what comes back.

i suppose i could used the 308 just for deer and then run a 65 gr pill in the 243 for varminting,(now that's not a bad idea) i don't fancy hitting a munty on Thursday with a 308 though ??

bob[/QUOTE
have shot quite a few munty with 150 gr 308 but have moved over to 6.5 x 55 for the smaller deer species ...but a dead deer is a dead deer, i think we all need a change from time to time no harm in trying what ever floats your boat mate
good hunting thursday

thank you

bob[/QUOTE
have shot quite a few munty with 150 gr 308 but have moved over to 6.5 x 55 for the smaller deer species ...but a dead deer is a dead deer, i think we all need a change from time to time no harm in trying what ever floats your boat mate
good hunting thursday

cheers bud

Im going in the morning too, just had the call, get on those does asap. munty on thursday, and every day i can before i have my spinal op later this month

bob.

i think you will find that you wont get a ticket for varminting with a 308, foxs while stalking maybe, perhaps Fox full stop but I cant see plod letting you wack crows with it. As it happens there are far far better calibers in the 6.5mm area for varminting, even then you may have the same legal hurdle. If so then its one rifle for deer and one for vermin.

A

i think you will find that you wont get a ticket for varminting with a 308, foxs while stalking maybe, perhaps Fox full stop but I cant see plod letting you wack crows with it. As it happens there are far far better calibers in the 6.5mm area for varminting, even then you may have the same legal hurdle. If so then its one rifle for deer and one for vermin.

A

well there is something i have not looked into, i know wiltshire are a good force, but ?

bob.

i think you will find that you wont get a ticket for varminting with a 308, foxs while stalking maybe, perhaps Fox full stop but I cant see plod letting you wack crows with it.

Is that just in relation to Wiltshire? Some of the more sensible FLDs will condition .308 for deer and any other lawful quarry. Obviously it's not the best choice but it's then down to the FAC holder to make the call on what he uses it for and when orwhere - as it should be.

Is that just in relation to Wiltshire? Some of the more sensible FLDs will condition .308 for deer and any other lawful quarry. Obviously it's not the best choice but it's then down to the FAC holder to make the call on what he uses it for and when orwhere - as it should be.

not sure where A is from, but i think a quick call to my flo and i will be put in the know as to their fellings on this matter.

bob..

A
Hi Alycidon
I think you might be wrong, they let me whack crows with my 308 or rabbits, fox, squirrels, rats and mice or any lawful quarry. Not that i would want to shoot some of the afore mentioned animals with a 308 i might want to use a 300 win mag:D
Geordie

Bob

I had a .308 that I used for everything for the last 15 years or so, from muntjac up to reds, so I don't think you will find yourself overgunned when it comes to munties. Like Orion, I used 150gr BT's - in my case with 43.5 grains of N140 that exited the barrel at approx 2700.

When it comes to vermin, I can't speak for Wiltshire (though from my experience they are super-efficient) but Thames Valley seem fine with the .308 for "deer and AOLQ". Similarly they allow the expanding ammo for "deer, vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife".

willie_gunn

Back