.243 vs 6x47L Improved

User00003

Right,

who can tell me about the difference in performance between a bog-standard .243 win and a 6x47 lapua improved? I don't mean the case, but what should I expect if I was to rebarrel to the 6x version, in terms of velocity, ability to handle smaller/larger bullet weights, trajectory differences at XYZ range, etc.

anyone ever looked at a comparison?

I was going to go into a long detailed explanation, but then I thought you will only be dreaming about some other cartridge tomorrow. Everyone else uses google and then makes an opinion based on the info they have or haven't gained.

yeah, thanks for the input and thoughtfulness in your replies guys, it's much appreciated and makes me feel real good.

No No 6X47 is so yesterday, what you want is a 243SLR (super long range) cartridge I kid you not.:stir:

ATB

Tahr

Ha ha ha,

I know mate, nothing wrong with it, but the idea that BETTER is out there makes me twinge and want it:drool:

Truth is, my .243 barrel has not seen much wear, but it's been worn badly by the last few seasons on the hill stags and hinds and I see it being replaced before its insides deem a change due TBCH.

Therefore, I was thinking about alternatives using my sako .243 action......

wasn't trying to waste anyones time here..

....., I was thinking about alternatives using my sako .243 action.......

PKL

I have been tangling with the same question and despite some comprehensive advice from Laurie Holland, I am going to plod on for another season with the .243. In a year's time I suspect I will rebarrel it to 260 Rem.

Regards JCS

Can't really offer any advice as I haven't come across a 6x47 improved, but I know people who have shot the regular version and found them a bit on the tricky side to tune. For me, I went with the 6.5x

Yes, contemplated on 260rem as well, just trying to think of a chambering which is a touch better in the wind and a bit more efficient than the .243, still being a very good vermin, fox, roe round that can double up on the hinds/calves on the hill if need be.

Not knowing much, or able to find much info on the 6x47L, I thought maybe some members would be keen to share their own findings and/or experiences, and share this with other members who might be similarly curious.

Danp - no one is asking for your comments, if you don't feel like adding your precious words, keep your mouth shut mate.

Frank Homes - see comments for Danp.

I find both your posts rude and unnecessary, I'm usually a very polite contributor to the forum, and enjoy exploring wildcat chamberings via other forum members knowledge, I don't see what's wrong with that, but in this instance I am a little annoyed at your useless contributions.

Thar - SLR, sounds interesting, not sure if its my bag, but I will have a look
Uncle buck - ha ha, I know, but I am never satisfied!
Jali - fine tuning issues, could be a pain, worth bearing in mind..

JCS - thanks for the comments regarding the 260, the benefit here is you'll probably just need a new barrel, as the case is based on the .308. I also thought about the 6.5x47, but this will probably require more work to get to almost the same result. Benefit I guess is a less explosive round on roe, ok for sika and good on reds. perhaps a touch large for varminting, except that the 6.5 coefficient means its very good in the wind at longer ranges so a varmint BT in a light bullet might be the business! One thing I am concerned about is whether the Sako mag will accept the longer 140g 6.5mm bullets unless deep seated.

Last edited:
I believe 6x47 runs at higher pressure hence the small rifle primer pockets, so to my mind greater pressure = greater throat erosion and greater chance of fire cracking in the bore IMO.

I have had several 243's over the years and have one by one fallen out with them and sold them because I was never really happy with the performance on live quarry. However I recently found myself pondering over which caliber to play with next and after a bit of soul searching i decided that perhaps my unhappiness with 243/6mm's on game might be down to a poor choice of bullets on my part for the quarry intended, consequently I barreled up a 243ai fast twist (1:7.5) to ensure I could use the heavy 100-105 gn bullets for deer.
Thankfully even with the fast twist I still seem to have retained enough accuracy with 60 and 75 gn bullets for foxing.

I did however leave the breech area of the new barrel long enough for a rechamber or two in case of a change of mind ;)but at the moment the 243AI is showing unbelievable accuracy and velocities approaching 3200fps with 105gn bullets so at the moment I'm happy with my choice.
My thoughts are that rather than try and use one "all round" bullet for both fox and deer and probably get the worst of both worlds, which I think has been my problem in the past, I'm going to give the new rifle a fair chance to show its true worth by using 58 to 75 grain varmint bullets on vermin and fox and then use 100 or 105 grain soft/hollows on deer and if I cant get the loads to shoot same poi I'll use two scopes and quick detach mounts and zero one for vermin bullets and one for deer bullets.

I have previously found that using 6.5mm 95gn vmax on vermin the expansion was not as pronounced as I would have liked so I did not choose a 6.5mm.
Also I think you will struggle to seat a 6.5mm out enough to touch lands with your sako mag in both 6.5x47 and 260 unless you get a short throated version which will probably limit your bullet choice further.

Just my thoughts

Rgds

Last edited:
pkl i shoot both a 6.5x47lap and a 6x47 lap and they are both excellent ,as for the 243 lasting longer in barrel life i dowt that as the 243 uses a lot more powder down the same size hole so it will burn out faster ,the 6x47 you will get better accuaracy easily than any 243
but if i had to choose what 1 is better all round it defo the 6.5 for shooting hill reds to varmints it will do it all with better barrel life and superb accuracy

pkl i shoot both a 6.5x47lap and a 6x47 lap and they are both excellent ,as for the 243 lasting longer in barrel life i dowt that as the 243 uses a lot more powder down the same size hole so it will burn out faster ,the 6x47 you will get better accuaracy easily than any 243
but if i had to choose what 1 is better all round it defo the 6.5 for shooting hill reds to varmints it will do it all with better barrel life and superb accuracy

I would have thought pressure and temperature would be the major factors in eroding steel, and higher pressure=higher temperature was what I was taught if I remember correctly

thanks guys,

Taylor, what are your views on having to use small primers in a factory action, and any issues that may bring up on the ignition front in winter?

regards,

P

most rifles shoot at same pressure max 50000- 60000psi some can do it with 40 grns some will do it with 50 grns in the same diameter hole ie 6mm ,so more fuel =more errosion ,i have shot out plenty 243 s in 3/4 of the same as 6x47
i also shoot same in 7mm 284 vs 7 wsm and wsm takes 10 grns more powder for the same pressure and burns barrels in more than half the time 800rnds vs 2000 rounds ,the velocitys will be a tad slower but its verry effiecent and unnoticable unless shooing at exstream ranges

Ok a few rambling thoughts!

I am sure that it is a combination of both things, but the length of time that the metal is exposed to that high temperature must also be critical. Therefore by implication if there is more powder you could (all else being equal) expose the throat to that high temperature for a longer period of time.

Another factor is the case shoulder angle, which is said to promote more combustion within the case with less unburned powder flowing forward over the throat. Ok the pressure may be higher, but the throat erosion is less. For example, if you shot a .243 and a 6BR with the same 6mm bullet at the same velocity of say 2950fps, you would expect to get more barrel life from the 6BR because it burns less powder.

There is also the pressure curve - if in the above example the 6BR and .243 are firing the same bullet at the same speed in the same length barrel, then pressure must be equal in order to push the bullet out of the bore. But the pressure curve would be different, with the 6BR starting higher but losing burn quicker and the .243 starting lower but maintaining the pressure for longer as the full powder charge burns.

Probably didn't express it entirely accurately, but hope you get my drift...

DSC00138.jpg

6mm Super LR
6mm TBR

Whatever you want to call it... Here is the link to Robert Whitely's page:
Super LR

The photo above is the reamer print for my version: formed from 308 win because I'm tight fisted, also uses a 6x47 Forster sizing die, so the diameter at the shoulder is 0.455" (same as 308/243 etc).

Back