Thread: Chiller/Fridge outside?

Chiller/Fridge outside?

I am looking to get a chiller at some point in the future and have very little in the way of room. When I contacted the BDS they suggested the simple (and since reading on here) very obvious route of a 2nd hand drinks fridge such as those seen in petrol stations etc.

The problem here is that it would be too big to go anywhere inside the house and I have very little in the way of outdoor space.

I am thinking of buying a very small, but tall, garden shed affair and putting the chiller in that. I was wondering if anyone else has been faced with a similar issue and come up with any ingenious ways of getting round the problem?

Hi mate

I don't see any problems with this other than in the summer time it can get very warm inside a shed so the chiller would be working harder to keep the temperature down. You could insulate the shed with polestyrene .

You may have to think about vents and an extractor fan to keep the air moving around the shed and I would line it with Jablite so that the sun as less effect but apart from that I cant see any problem with your idea. Needs must.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Stalkers online shop at or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

I have got a large double door chiller in a shed. I had to raise the roof of the shed because the refrigeration unt is on top of the cabinet. I put in an extractor fan buit it's simpler and cheaper just to leave the door open in the summer if it is running and I only run it when there is a beast in it. I also keep a couple of chest freezers in there and often have teh door open for them.

Try and 'Google' running fridges in cooler environments, seem to remember some fridges designed specially for this, might give you some ideas for a cheapy.

My first walk in fridge was just this
    A garden shed with an old air conditioning unit that was converted to run on refrigeration gas and a blower that I purchased of a mate
    It was capable of bringing the temp down to 1 degree in hours with out any insulation
    And to be honest not that costly to set up
    Before that I had a shop fridge display counter that came out of an old butchers shop , which when not in use had a tarp thrown over it to keep it safe from the weather

Thanks very much for all the ideas folks - I knew it would be worth the ask!