remington 700 243

judda

Hi just bought a rem 700 sps 26 inch heavy barrel rifle was trying to find someone who shoots this rifle to see what make and grain of round is the most accurate through it? can anyone tell me what the barrel twist is ? Also the rifle has a set of optisan 6-26x56 scope on it anyone used this make of scope?? any views??

Judda,
I have a Remington 243 PSS which is essentially the same barrel and action. 49 grains of N165 under a Hornaday 100grain BTSP interlock gets a good group, although you should start a little lower and work up to this.
I understand that the barrel is not free floating on the sps and you will not get really good groups untill this has been done.
You can you guess what the brass is though!!!!!

Lapua 243

I have one and find that the factory loads from fedral in 80grain are fantastic (psp) I think it it is a fantastic rifle and would not be without it for foxes.

Mark

Judda,
I have a Remington 243 PSS which is essentially the same barrel and action. 49 grains of N165 under a Hornaday 100grain BTSP interlock gets a good group, although you should start a little lower and work up to this.
I understand that the barrel is not free floating on the sps and you will not get really good groups untill this has been done.
You can you guess what the brass is though!!!!!

Lapua 243

The photos show test firings of several different rifles none which are free floated.

First shots after a 2/3 day cleaning to remove years of fouling build up. I thought the barrel would need replacing and brought it with this in mind then test shot it. Notice copper fouling to started to clean it out. After a weekend and bit of P-H 009 then Forest Bore Foam the rifel was tried again. Not bad at all for on that is 60 years old. Oh it's a .270 Win.

Augst27-06Reepham308test.jpg

Testing different loads/bullets through a Brno ZKK 601 in .308 Win. Scope is the Zeiss Jena ZF4/N with Tri Post reticle. It did not like the Win factory 180 grn Silver Tips.

PICT0080-1.jpg

Testing Hornady's 55 grn SP through a 56 vintage BSA Regent with IMR 4198 powder

P3030092.jpg

P3030091.jpg

test shooting a newly acquired Midland 2100 in .243. With mod fitted shots move left :confused:.

339377747.jpg

P-H 1100 Lwt. It did not like some old hand-loads with the Speer 200 grain bullet but loved the Hornady 130 grn SP and BLC-2

36532858.jpg

30-30 using the 130 Grn Hornady SP

None of the above rifle have floated barrels yet shoot just fine. I have no doubt that a better shot than I could tighten up the groupings more. A rifle does not need to be free floated to shoot well but it does need perfect or almost perfect bedding. be that synthetic ( glass fibre etc) or carefully hand bedding into the stock as it used to be done. Interestingly, to me at least, the rifle which has given the most hassle in reliable grouping has a factory floated barrel:-

PICT0075.jpg

PICT0085.jpg

Chambered for the Remington 6mm cartridge the bedding is suspect as the stringing out shows.

Last edited:
hi mark is your rem 700 the sps model with the none floating barrel?? any probs with grouping ?? i'm using mine on foxes i've not got my rem yet just waiting while i get my renewal back should get it back in the next couple of days, this gun i have just put a deposit down on it and wanting to find out what suits it best so i can get the right ammo when i pick the gun up thanks joe

From what I heard in the Gunshop the local foxing lads seem to use a lot of the Hornady 58 grain ammo in .243. If your rifle/barrel will like it is the 54 million dollar question :rolleyes: as barrels are often individual in what they like and dislike.

Back