tight as a ducks ****

norma 308

on the estate i stalk by invitation 5 stalkers were booked in for the 1st and 2nd out for a muntys and fallow with 112 seats and large blocks of mixed wood to choose from chances were good we have not pressured the bucks and prickets at all .well the guys came and did very well shooting 15 fallow and 4 muntys good stuff ,they also purchased most of the venison .this is very cheap stalking and the venison is dealer price so cheap too .the lads doing very well had a whip round for the 4 keepers a grand total of £30 split four ways whoopi doo ,i know tips are a personal thing but surely 19 beasts was worth a bit more than that ......? :rolleyes:

Ring them up and tell them and dont have them back!

Jeez- i was invited on a mixed game day on Tuesday and we only shot 56 between 8 guns but it was a great day and i appriciate what people had done to make my day memorable so gave the part time keeper £100 tip.

what you doing on the 12th mate driven day should be about 100 head if the guns can shoot a bit :D

Last edited:
on the estate i stalk by invitation 5 stalkers were booked in for the 1st and 2nd out for a muntys and fallow with 112 seats and large blocks of mixed wood to choose from chances were good we have not pressured the bucks and prickets at all .well the guys came and did very well shooting 15 fallow and 4 muntys good stuff ,they also purchased most of the venison .this is very cheap stalking and the venison is dealer price so cheap too .the lads doing very well had a whip round for the 4 keepers a grand total of £30 split four ways whoopi doo ,i know tips are a personal thing but surely 19 beasts was worth a bit more than that ......? :rolleyes:

Interesting!

Just to clarify, do you mean the sum of the tips from the five Rifles was £120?

How much had they paid for the stalking?

no no no the total sum was £30 or £7.50 per keeper !!! stalking was cheap £60 /stalk no limit on deer shot but no trophy bucks

no no no the total sum was £30 or £7.50 per keeper !!! stalking was cheap £60 /stalk no limit on deer shot but no trophy bucks

Well, even allowing for the fact that people drawn to cheap (albeit apparently very productive) stalking are probably not rolling in money that does seem on the light side.
I wonder whether the fact that they spent a good deal of money on venison might have reduced their available tipping funds?

Out of interest, what would we think would have been a reasonable tip per Rifle under these circumstances?

I'd have given them it back, I'd be feeling better than if I'd accepted it and looked forward to them TRYING to book again!

50 quid a head

Mauser.

Yup, that's about what I'd have thought for the two days.
Mind you, though I'm not loaded I ain't starving either; and furthermore I've only ever stalked on the hill, where without the stalker's very obvious skill and effort expended for my benefit I'd be unlikely to get within rifle-shot of anything at all.
I've no experience of woodland/high-seat stalking.

Last edited:
i think a fifty pound tip would have been in order or fifty per keeper making £200 in total. anyway glad i am not the only one who thought they were mean
cheers norma

£30 quid 4 ways!! they must have thaught they were given kids sweety money.

:idea: £200 quid dearer the next time they book, that's the keepers covered.

Rgds, Buck.

if the five lads happen to look on here i kinda think you may find next year is fully booked ......by me, forgot to add they came year before and shot 25 !!!! dont know what they tipped then

Tight is not the word. I keeper a small shoot and generally get tipped £20 a gun if someone was to give me £7.50 I would be highly insulted and want to know why. After a couple of days like that I would have thought that £100 a keeper would have been more like it.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick but had they paid for the stalking seperately and if so, do you know how much?

£30 quid 4 ways!! they must have thaught they were given kids sweety money.

:idea: £200 quid dearer the next time they book, that's the keepers covered.

Rgds, Buck.

There is the thing now. Whoever is managing/organising this estate should charge enough to pay the keepers adequately. The keepers should not be dependent on unspecified tips/gift's to make it worth their while to go to work..

The keeper's role here was what? To drive the punters to an appointed high-seat and let them get on with it?

I would feel differently if it was a hill stalker who dragged my ass and gear around a mountain to get me close enough to a stag.

There is the thing now. Whoever is managing/organising this estate should charge enough to pay the keepers adequately. The keepers should not be dependent on unspecified tips/gift's to make it worth their while to go to work.
Seconded!

The keeper's role here was what? To drive the punters to an appointed high-seat and let them get on with it?
I was wondering that also.

I would feel differently if it was a hill stalker who dragged my ass and gear around a mountain to get me close enough to a stag.
As I've never done high seat still-hunting, my tipping behaviour is based on exactly those circumstances.

I must admit that I am always slightly irked by the thought that shoot or estate servants feel entitled to more of my money even after their employers have taken large amounts off me already. Not many of us live the lives of wealthy Edwardian landowners, accepting shooting/stalking invitations from each other and tipping each other's servants in what might be seen as a reciprocal or even tokenistic manner.

Perhaps the tipping-culture (which, other than in shooting/stalking seems to survive mainly in the USA) ought really to be quoshed here, and replaced by proportionately higher charges for the stalking/shooting?
That would certainly avoid the sort of disappointment we see at the start of this thread.

Last edited:
I see where your coming from Dalua but your showing your appreciation for the hospitality and knowledge of the keeper. He may of just let them get on with it after dropping them off at a highseat but hes probably thought about where hes seen the deer, which seat or area will give best chance and also looked after them like any host/keeper would look after his clients.

If the keeper didnt get tips then possibly some wouldnt be as keen to get you the results if theyre going to get the cash anyways. At the end of the day, if these guys book again, whats the chance that said keeper is going to plonk them in the spot where they have seen exceptional heads or numbers of deer? I know what i would do.

Keep tips. It shows your gratitude and also gives incentive. Dont give tips of £7.50. It would leave a worse taste in my mouth than receiving no tip!!

ATB,

FF

how do 5 guys come up with £30!?
that is not even possible unless you are looking under the car seat for change!

OK, let me get this straight. So we have four or five guys book a couple of days cull shooting on an estate. For all we know they may be members here, they may be average working guys with families who have saved all year for a wee jolly.

They turn up, behave themselves, shoot some deer. They pay their account with the estate and buy the venison they shot at the going rate. So far they sound like perfect customers / clients.

Now they are getting slagged off on an open forum as miserable sh1ts, and there is the suggestion that if they have the cheek to book next year they can expect to get shoved up in unproductive high seats because they failed to sufficiently grease the keepers palms to do the job they are paid to do?

What a bunch of tossers.

Last edited:
Back