Shooting Supplies

Cry Havoc

Does anyone else use Shooting Supplies in Bromsgrove? I've just been in (for the 1st time) and found them to be very aloof and unapproachable. Some months ago I dropped in to York Guns just enquire about the best route to begin stalking and get an idea of equipment costs. I found them nothing but helpfully and spent about 30 mins chating to one member of staff.

Having handed over the best part of £200 in SS I find it hard to believe that they can have such apauling customer service or you have to be in their 'special' club...! In the current climate I don't know how they can afford to be so picky.

Have other members suffered a similar experience?

I use them, they don't exactly rush to help you, they generally have what you want so that's why I go, but yes you certainly don't get pandered to!!!!

Last edited:
I use them quite a lot for bullets and powder, plus I've bought a few rifles there in the past - I've always found Roger very helpful, knowledgeable and amusing but his staff are a bit lacking in knowledge about the stuff they sell. Not exactly unhelpful but not particularly useful when you need to know something about a product.

On the plus side, they are one of the few local gunshops that actually bothers to order stuff in specially AND contact you when the stuff arrives. When I was sorting out the expensive Optiloc bases and rings for a couple of rifles, they were quite happy to open and fit various combinations until they found the ones that set the scope closest to the barrel - I was a happy customer and it has made me a bit more tolerant about waiting whilst the guy in front of me sorts out something similar next time.

Adam.

Adam.

i got that sort of idea at 1st when using them. they seamed a little clicky to me and didn't feel very welcome in there. I have been using them a lot more though lately and now I have got to know them a bit they all seam OK.

I think a lot of it is down to the staff not getting in your face like some shops. who are on you soon as you walk through the door there more relaxed. and as adam said they will call you when your stuff is in. ive had powder off them a couple of times they didn't have in stock. soon as it was in they rang to go pick it up.

some of there stuff is very dear. but by the time i go somewhere else to get the same items the fuel cost outways any savings. and would like local shops to get my trade.

now durrants in worcester ! i wouldnt waste my time with them.

useless springs to mind on anything to do with rifles. they wont even offer to get anything in for you.

Thanks guys may be I'll give them the Benifit of the doubt. I asked about a Pro Field smock and whether they stocked them, the response was that of confused look and "no" at least I would have given an open response and suggest an alternative..!

I went in to ask about a .17 mach2 and the bloke i spoke to had never heard of the calibre, he kept telling me the HMR's are on the shelf:rolleyes:. Also found the powders where expensive.

Where abouts in Solihull are you havoc?

Cheers
Ben

I've always found Roger and his staff at SS most helpful, and such conversations as I've overheard them have with new and/or less-than-knowledgeable customers (I'm not presuming to put the OP in this category, by the way) have always been helpful and well-informed. I can't say, of course, why they didn't leave a better impression in this case, but it's definitely worth giving them another chance. As has been said, they are particularly good at ordering in pretty much anything you want.

I went in to ask about a .17 mach2 and the bloke i spoke to had never heard of the calibre, he kept telling me the HMR's are on the shelf:rolleyes:. Also found the powders where expensive.

You must have been unlucky with who you spoke to as I have bought mach 2 ammo from them. They where very helpfull when I called in to look at there selection of .243's.

i use them a few times and they are pretty good always been helpful and if i've rang up before going and asked for something to be kept they do keep it. I do find they are more expensive than others. Where elkse you tried Havoc.

Does anyone else use Shooting Supplies in Bromsgrove? I've just been in (for the 1st time) and found them to be very aloof and unapproachable. Some months ago I dropped in to York Guns just enquire about the best route to begin stalking and get an idea of equipment costs. I found them nothing but helpfully and spent about 30 mins chating to one member of staff.

Having handed over the best part of £200 in SS I find it hard to believe that they can have such apauling customer service or you have to be in their 'special' club...! In the current climate I don't know how they can afford to be so picky.

Same as you i spent £1200 in there went back three days later and got crap service, Roger is a snob and looks down his nose at most people i for one wont use the shop again and the prices are a joke.

Same as you i spent £1200 in there went back three days later and got crap service, Roger is a snob and looks down his nose at most people i for one wont use the shop again and the prices are a joke.

So the service and prices were good enough on your first visit for you to spend £1,200 and then go back shortly afterwards? What was said or done on your second visit to change white to black?

So the service and prices were good enough on your first visit for you to spend £1,200 and then go back shortly afterwards? What was said or done on your second visit to change white to black?
First visit new Daystate air wolf already new the price same as anywhere else, second visit went back for 223 and 243 ammo wich was quite a bit more than i had been paying elsewhere. There was a very good friend of mine talking to Roger and when he saw me asked if i was ok and when i said yes Rogers words were do you mind i am doing buisiness here, it quite shocked my mate who invited me to his home for a coffee he even told his wife he couldent belive how i had been spoken to. So much for customer relations. Sorry if he is a mate of yours but he could do with a some manners. Woodydog.

I only use them if I cant get it from any where else ,the first time I went in I rang them to ask about a new Sako 243 ss varmint lam stock. I had a Sako 223 varmint to part ex my gun was as new condition , I know they have to make money on all they sell but they offered me £150 px against a rifle they were going to charge me full list price for £1600 . I traded that same rifle in at another gun shop for £600 two weeks later. Rodger looks down his nose at me every time I have been in there. So like I said only when I cant get it any where else.

Thanks for the info. I'd not be happy either if that had been me. As for Roger being a friend, I've never met him outside of the shop but he's always made me feel welcome and been entirely genial whenever I've been in.

Last edited:
Snap, called in a couple of times, seemed very expensive and some what aloof and talked a lot of crap.

There are are hardly any decent gun shops now so tend to buy everything once at year at the Midland (Norman Clarkes)

D

Thanks for all of your honest feedback, at least I now know I'm not special. All I can hope is that some of these comments get back to Roger and he gives every customer the service they deserve.

Dom

hi,
i have not had any dealing with them but i have bought from UK Custom shop which i think is near Bromsgrove, found them very good.
Shop - 01905 797060
Trade - 01905 796610
Fax - 01905 796620
Email - enquiries@wildcatrifles.co.uk

UK Custom Shop Ltd
20 Wassage way, Hampton Lovett Ind Est
Hampton Lovett, Droitwitch,
Worcestershire, WR9 0NX

hope this help?
SS

Shooting supplies.

Popped in there a while back and ordered some .243 heads, Got a phone call a few weeks later saying they had come into stock... When back the next week and guess what... No stock! They made a mistake!! AND dont anyone dare put even a toe anywhere near the rear of the counter as you will be shouted at .... you are not insured to be there! I prefer online shopping, Will never go back there!!

Can't remember its name but there is a better shop just south of Bromsgrove, More guns and LOADS of cheap re-loading gear!

Agree UK Custom shop are very good, got one of the very first wildcat 8 moddys from them and purchased a single barrell 20 bore from them for a pittance.

Highly recommended.

D

Back