Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Canada

Hello from Canada

Hello Everyone:

I'm in Alberta, Canada. The first day of my season starts this afternoon. -9 C and the first snow of the season. We'll be hunting for Whitetail and Mule Deer.

I'm from Alberta and British Columbia, which covers three species of deer (Whitetail, Mule, Blacktail). I'm fairly young and have shot perhaps a dozen deer since a teenager. Usually a couple per season.

My chosen gun at present is a CZ 858 in 7.62x39, which can offend some; however, I use it because it is very cheap to shoot and practice on, quite accurate, and the ballistic equivalent of a 30/30 Winchester. I bought it for shooting in heavy bush on Vancouver Island.

To date, I've taken deer with the 6.5x55 Swede, .300 Weatherby, .270 Winchester, 7.62x39, and 12 Gauge with buckshot.

The .300 is used when the deer are huge and the distances vast. The 7.62 is used when the deer are under 150 yards and is my preferred gun for antlerless/meat hunting (usually Mule). The 12 gauge is used when I can't legally use anything else, or close to human habitation (usually for Blacktail). The 6.5 is used when the season is well extended and the days are short, as the scope allows me to see and aim a bit better in low light (Usually Whitetail).

The first deer I shot last season was on a sunny 20 C day, the second was 14 days later 30 km away and it was -33 C.

I don't mind recoil but hate the noise.

The only bear I've shot at I missed -- it was 20 yds away and clueless to my presence.

I have a bit of trouble with North American hunting in that it's all about the crap you've bought and not enough about actually hunting.

I'd like to learn more about British tradition and system, as all of my relatives were born there and I hope to go to school there at some point in the future, and maybe even hunt.

Hi enjoy the site

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome mate. What part of Alberta are you from? I worked near Stavley, about an hour and a half south of Calgary.

Hello and a warm welcome from the Highlands of Scotland.

Welcome to the site, looking forward to hear about your hunts!

My Hunting Blog: click here

Quote Originally Posted by dan85 View Post
    Welcome mate. What part of Alberta are you from? I worked near Stavley, about an hour and a half south of Calgary.

Three Hills, about an hour and a half north. Were you in O&G?

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Went out last night, saw nine deer but none appropriate. It's opening weekend so it's crawling with truck hunters. -20 and foggy this morning so I begged off -- was too tired and cold last night to want to try it again without some real sleep (not sleep where you have to wake up early).

The hot cider with rum was amazing!

I've had some questions about where I hunt, so I've attached a photo of typical Mule Deer valley bottom. The prairie just drops off into this and it's virtual wilderness, because it's so rough. The thorns in the thicket pictured are about two inches long -- some sort of massive bush rose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valley.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	10231

Last edited by Canada858; 05-11-2011 at 18:54. Reason: Wanted to add photo but comp wouldn't let me.

Howdy neighbor!! Y'all got some beautiful bucks up there.