Changing the reticle in a Leupold scope

wellyboot

Hi,
I have had a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50 for a while, which i bought secondhand thinking it would be a great all rounder on a stalking rifle. Unfortunately the reticle is the fine duplex not the standard duplex, which you would 'lose' in the slightest bit of low light.

Is it possible to change the reticle to the standard duplex or even Leupold's 'Post and Duplex?' I spent a fair bit of time googling stuff and it seems there was a company that did it in the UK a few years back but cannot find anyone 'locally' that can do this apart from sending it to US which i assume must be technically possible, but maybe financially prohibitive.

thanks for any info...

if you were to do it get leupold to do it.
otherwise I would suggest it would cost considerably more than any loss incurred in selling it and buying the one you want

hate to tell thee, but this is when Leupold (who outsource most things to China) fall short, these are not premium optics, just premium prices.

Unless bought for $$$$$ you best keep it or sell it as you do not have customer service unless it goes tits up and the reseller will replace.

Have you contacted Leupold in the states? In my experience they are very helpfull and their custom department may be able to help you.

hate to tell thee, but this is when Leupold (who outsource most things to China) fall short, these are not premium optics, just premium prices.

Unless bought for $$$$$ you best keep it or sell it as you do not have customer service unless it goes tits up and the reseller will replace.

do you have history with Leupold CS?
in my experience they are excellent.
Re-gas, clean, refurbish and ship scopes back to owners in the UK inside 2-3 weeks.
never heard of a lifetime warranty being challenged by the firm unless down to negligence.

lot of crap copies out there which are made in china.
Leupold scopes are made in the US, some of their binocluars and range finders are made elsewhere

they will do reticule swap, custom target turret etc at the factory in the US

http://www.leupold.com/corporate/resources/faqs/

If so I will stand corrected. Bought one from USA went foggy and no-one wanted to know as I did not buy it from them.

Tried calling them and emailing and got no where, so traded it in. never liked it anyway, the eye relief was awful. Thousands of happy customers so each to their own, but if I can buy one for $550 in Oklahoma and see it for £995 in UK it ****es me off.

Other thing to remember is the shop selling for $550 was making a profit , so how much did it cost to manufacture?? They are assembled in USA, some of them.

Other thing to remember is the shop selling for $550 was making a profit , so how much did it cost to manufacture?? They are assembled in USA, some of them.

don't blame Leupold for the UK's import and tax system.
If you think a £2000 Swaro costs anywhere near that to produce then you are mistaken. same reason they sell over there for stupid prices but cost more than a car here!

Just to get off topic a little how do midway uk come up with their prices midway USA seem quite reasonable

same issue, taxed to the hilt, shipping is expensive and you wait three weeks as it is coming from the US anyway!!

don't blame Leupold for the UK's import and tax system.
If you think a £2000 Swaro costs anywhere near that to produce then you are mistaken. same reason they sell over there for stupid prices but cost more than a car here!

+1 there! Exact same problem here. Most guys in NZ don't give the local shops the time of day when buying expensive opticals for that reason. Deal direct with the U.S. much cheaper www.riflescopestore.com . Helps to have a contact there to avoid excessive postage costs and less chance of being pinged coming into the country for gst [vat].
Re original thread though no problem with Leupold in my experience their warranty covers the scope not the owner. Just send the scope back to them and they will fix it and so preserve your warranty.
I can reccomend their CDS turrets too specially if you are happy with the one load otherwise you have to get more turrets - no big deal however you break it down.
As far as I know everything gold ring is made in the U.S. any other colour ring with the leupold brand name is made in China.
Cheers

I almost vomited when it was mentioned here Leupold was made of Chinese components. Leupold is one of the few US companies that actually makes everything in the US. There might be some rangefinders or some binos from China but if it is a gold ring, it's made in the US and has a lifetime warranty.

I posted this a while back but will do so again for clarity

Who makes so called premuim optics?

This post is in response to those who think that a hungarian Schmidt and bender is not as good as a german one,
or that a zeiss conquest is mince because it is assembled in the USA to avoid import duties and allow for them to be sold in direct opposition to Redfield and Leupold.

Kamakura Koki Ltd. has factories in China, Malasia and Korea. It has a research and development lab in Japan and makes optics for the following manufacturers under licence.

Alpen
Brunton
Bushnell
Celestron
Kahles
Leupold
Minolta
Minox
Nikon
Pentax
Steiner
Swift
so now you know.

PS
I am not saying any of the above are poor quality optics. Most represent excellent value for money, I am just posting information so we can all make a choice based on facts not myths from marketing departments.

Last edited:
I almost vomited when it was mentioned here Leupold was made of Chinese components. Leupold is one of the few US companies that actually makes everything in the US. There might be some rangefinders or some binos from China but if it is a gold ring, it's made in the US and has a lifetime warranty.

If you look at new Leupold stuff it no longer says made in the USA as not enough of the components are made in the USA for it legally be allowed to put it on them now. Looking at my 2000 Leupold catalogue it says right under the leupold brand name:-

LEUPOLD
MADE RIGHT, MADE HERE

Looking at Leupold's web site it now says:-

LEUPOLD
AMERICA'S OPTICS AUTHORITY

That's one heck of a change. Actually this sourcing of imported parts has been forced on them by the very America shooting public who decry such a thing. They still demand scopes for £150 or less yet also demand decent wages. Wish I had $10 for every time I have heard and read an American shooter say:-

I'll Never put a fit a scope that cost more than the gun. Then demand rifles for less that $400 US. It's time they woke up, smelt the coffee and came into today's world, Hey Thar where are you? ............................................... Don't go fainting on me :D.

I wanted to check the markings on my Leupold scopes but neither of them are here. Trying to recall which rifle I must have fitted the M8 Compact 4x too but failing at this moment :banghead:.

I am not surprised to see Khales having imported glass now after all the oldest optics maker was brought out a while ago and it's been down hill, the usual story with badge engineering, since then.

Back