bit of a long shot but.....

Spoony

Going to ask a huge favour fitted some new scope mounts and want to check my zero. The chap i go stalking with will let me zero on his land. But i dont really want to drive up to scotland just to zero my rifle. I live in south shields, and was wondering if anyone hand some land a bit closer to home they could take me on to to zero. Would be much appreciated. Heres hoping

I live in south shields, and was wondering if anyone hand some land a bit closer to home they could take me on to to zero.

As an exiled Tynesider I can say that Scotland is nearer than Herts. Isn't anyone a little closer?

langholm in the borders 25 minutes from carlisle and you can have a stalk out after since it's a trek. Would bring a 375 for a play as well.

i aint a member of any club, and im sure they book their days, not sure when the next one is, and you have to have some range cert to shoot on mod ranges, not sure how i go about getting one of those, i may well join a club next year.

you can go as a guest, you dont need a certificate, any club will allow you to go along and join.
only issue is the range which may be at 2, 3, 4 or 600 yds!

I'm afraid it isn't that easy to use MOD Ranges.

You will need a Certificate of Competency issued by the Secretary of an affiliated club. That goes for guests too.... however that's defined. :rolleyes:

No club that I know of will let anyone join on the spot as that's forbidden under the Home Office Approval rules.

well it happens, probably more than you think.

I have shot on two MOD ranges under the watchful eye of both a registered member and RCO without membership and before I had a competancy certificate.

How the hell do you get a RCC ticket without shooting on a range?!

Both the ranges offered me the chance to sign up on the spot following on from lots of phone calls and letters of interest.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but it is against the rules so your advice is misleading.

Nor do you need to shoot on a MOD range to get the NRA RCO qualification. I qualified on a private range, but haven't bothered to get the COC I'm entitled to because I don't intend using MOD Ranges, and there's a charge for it!

Finally, I should have made clear that an Approved Club can offer probationary membership at the first visit, but not full membership. That depends on X months of the probationary membership served.

All in all, not as straightforward as it appears.

Back