Cheapest copper jacket bullets

Simjim33

Has any one got an idea where to get the cheapest copper jacket expanding Bullets? I don't really care what make it is as this will be reserved for "fowling up the barrel" after a good clean up. my rifle takes about 20 rounds to do that after a damm good clean and I don't want to waste a box of expensive ammo doing it. I now privvy would do the job but I'm just going to start reloading and don't really want to buy factory ammo agian so suggestions for heads only would be very well received.

Has any one got an idea where to get the cheapest copper jacket expanding Bullets? I don't really care what make it is as this will be reserved for "fowling up the barrel" after a good clean up. my rifle takes about 20 rounds to do that after a damm good clean and I don't want to waste a box of expensive ammo doing it. I now privvy would do the job but I'm just going to start reloading and don't really want to buy factory ammo agian so suggestions for heads only would be very well received.
just buy Privi bullets they are about £17x100 for FMJ and if you must use expanding then how about Sierra pro hunters? about £22-25 last time I bought some

just buy Privi bullets they are about £17x100 for FMJ and if you must use expanding then how about Sierra pro hunters? about £22-25 last time I bought some

If you use prohunters you may find they are your definative round. theve always worked for me. Regarding the original question, look in gun mart they always have lists of reloading stuff with prices. I think the PPU is the cheapest. Suprised your rifle needs so much to get back to zero!

Last edited:

Yep expanding only as they are the only ones on my ticket. so where is the best place to get the sierra's. If I could get a mould that would take copper jackets I would pour some myself.

Nah, you can't make cheaper than you can buy and quality assurance is there with the bought stuff. Buy sierra, it's great

Have you thought about going about things in the other direction, perhaps changing your cleaning regime? In a factory barrel it is not desirable to totally remove all the fouling, as you will experience the problems you describe. I would suggest you switch to a less agrresive cleaning product, and dont clean the barrel to within an inch of its life. I would suggest Wipe-Out as my personal favourite.

You don't need expanding bullets for fouling shots, and besides they are a 'collect-only' component.

I wouldn't regard Sierra ProHunters as second best as I use them as 'best'!

You can order FMJ bullets through the post. Even spotty schoolboys can under the Firearms Acts if they fancy some. Depending on what calibre you're after, Henry Krank @ Pudsey, Leeds stock Prvi FMJ.... or you can get them from the man below:-

http://www.peterlawman.co.uk/reloading

Yep expanding only as they are the only ones on my ticket. so where is the best place to get the sierra's. If I could get a mould that would take copper jackets I would pour some myself.

You don't need specific permission to purchase non expanding bullets!

Have you thought about going about things in the other direction, perhaps changing your cleaning regime? In a factory barrel it is not desirable to totally remove all the fouling, as you will experience the problems you describe. I would suggest you switch to a less agrresive cleaning product, and dont clean the barrel to within an inch of its life. I would suggest Wipe-Out as my personal favourite.

Yeah my standard cleaning is not so hard but it just came back from the gun smiths and he went to town on it

yeah you can buy non expanding ammo,buy them over the phone and get them posted to you if more convenient or get at local gunshop,no matter how much you scrub your bore the patches will keep coming out dirty,alot of pitts holes etc if yo were to look at it under a microscope

I was under the impression that unless it says that you can have non expanding ammo, you cant. On my ticket it only states expanding heads so that is what I base my question on. It won't hert to check now it looks like my idea on this is wrong. I also thought that non expanding ammo is about the same price. None of that is based on fact mind. I have never bought heads until now.

I was under the impression that unless it says that you can have non expanding ammo, you cant. On my ticket it only states expanding heads so that is what I base my question on. It won't hert to check now it looks like my idea on this is wrong. I also thought that non expanding ammo is about the same price. None of that is based on fact mind. I have never bought heads until now.
you are almost correct, the devil is in the detail. unless it says on your FAC that you CAN have EXPANDING ammo you can't :D FMJ's are the default ammo allowed, so don't need to be specifically mentioned, however because of the balls up that passes for firearms law in this country you need a dispensation to have expanding.as to the price difference, you are right, there is not a lot of difference in cost between premium FMJ and expanding rounds, however the Privi are a budget bullet and probably half the cost of the premium bullets. they will be fine as cheap practice rounds for your purpose.

Ok that's interesting to know. On the ticket it does say for "practice"I always wondered if they want you to waste expanding ammo on "practice". I can understand using expanding in load development as the object is to achieve the best results. U until now I have used the same ammo for practice and stalking but now I am coming to load my own I have much more choice. I can't wait to get cracking with the reloading. Can anyone recommend where to get the privy fmj from?

Last edited:
Hornady Interlock are pretty cheap, certainly cheap enough to use for practice/"fouling" and for stalking
Think I paid £22.50 for 100 .270 130gn last time

Ok that's interesting to know. On the ticket it does say for "practice"I always wondered if they want you to waste expanding ammo on "practice". I can understand using expanding in load development as the object is to achieve the best results. U until now I have used the same ammo for practice and stalking but now I am coming to load my own I have much more choice. I can't wait to get cracking with the reloading. Can anyone recommend where to get the privy fmj from?
obviously you will need to check zero and grouping with the ammo you will be hunting with, but for practice and "plinking" then Privi is fine you can mail order from Kranks or you may find you have a dealer locally who stocks them

obviously you will need to check zero and grouping with the ammo you will be hunting with, but for practice and "plinking" then Privi is fine you can mail order from Kranks or you may find you have a dealer locally who stocks them

Yeah my plan is, because I am going to home load.
After a clean
1. Make up a Batch of cheap subsonics with privy heads ( after checking with FEO) to foul barrel ( without moving scope settings)
Fire of sub's until they start to group.this is done at same time as above.
2. Then shot a five shot group onto a fresh target.
3. With a previous good group target from full power home loads establish if there is a difference of POI between the two.
4. If there is no real difference, if i ever I need to check group, fire subs for group confirmation.
Or
5. If there is a big difference make a hybrid fouling/grouping target that has mean zero for both. fire subs to group and once grouping switch to full powers to confirm.

You are all going to ask why subs? Well I practise at the same location I stalk. I don't see the point of advertising to the deer that I am there. Or at least keep the disturbance to a minimum.

I was under the impression that unless it says that you can have non expanding ammo, you cant. On my ticket it only states expanding heads so that is what I base my question on.

Are you saying that you have one quantity for complete rounds and another seperate one for your expanding bullets/missiles?

If so it's a strange way for your FLD to go about it unless you have a large number of firearms using expanding or many different bullet types for a single firearm and want a much increased limit. Even the HO Guidance recommends against anything other than an overall quantity including rounds and bullets for most cases:

3.17 Category (xv) extends the prohibition
on the various types of prohibited
ammunition to the actual bullet or missile
itself, not just the complete round of
ammunition (a complete round consists of
the bullet, the cartridge case, the propellant
and the primer). Certain categories of shooter
such as deerstalkers and vermin controllers
are exempt from the requirement to obtain
the authority of the Secretary of State to
possess expanding ammunition (see Chapter
4) and will have the appropriate condition
entered on their certificate (see Appendix 3).
There is no need for the bullets to be listed
separately on the certificate
, other than in the
circumstances described below. However,
where a certificate holder requests large
quantities of bullets, it should be remembered
that the total number of bullets authorised
counts towards their overall limit on
possession of expanding ammunition.
The
exception to the rule on listing bullets
separately on a certificate applies in the case
of a certificate holder who wishes to possess
a variety of different types of bullets. This
may be reflected in a relatively higher
overall limit on possession and, in these
circumstances, the bullets may be listed
separately to help avoid unnecessary
stockpiling of complete rounds. It is not
necessary for the dealer making the sale to
record transactions of expanding bullets on
the certificate but the sale should be
recorded in the dealer's register.

As to your query regarding possession or purchase of FMJ bullets. They are non-controlled items and you can have as many as you like, purchase without a FAC and have them sent through the post:

2.9 “Ammunition” means ammunition for
any firearm and includes grenades, bombs
and other like missiles whether capable of
use with a firearm or not, and also includes
prohibited ammunition. It will be noted
that the definition of ammunition does
not include ingredients and components
of ammunition; it is only assembled
ammunition that is controlled under the
Act, not component parts.
Empty cartridge
cases, for example, are not “ammunition”.
The only exception to this is the missiles for
ammunition prohibited under section 5 of the
1968 Act, for example expanding or armourpiercing
bullets. Such missiles are themselves
regarded as “ammunition” and are subject to
control accordingly.

Yeah my plan is, because I am going to home load.
After a clean
1. Make up a Batch of cheap subsonics with privy heads ( after checking with FEO) to foul barrel ( without moving scope settings)
Fire of sub's until they start to group.this is done at same time as above.
2. Then shot a five shot group onto a fresh target.
3. With a previous good group target from full power home loads establish if there is a difference of POI between the two.
4. If there is no real difference, if i ever I need to check group, fire subs for group confirmation.
Or
5. If there is a big difference make a hybrid fouling/grouping target that has mean zero for both. fire subs to group and once grouping switch to full powers to confirm.

You are all going to ask why subs? Well I practise at the same location I stalk. I don't see the point of advertising to the deer that I am there. Or at least keep the disturbance to a minimum.

this seems a lot ofhassle to me. does your rifle need several rounds every timeyouclean it? I have never had this prob. I prob shoot my rifle every week and clean about every 6 months ittakes one shot to get back tozero. My uncle cleans his gun every time he takes it out even if hedoesnt fire it. first shot out is inch or so off, not ideal. I want to take the rifle out of the cab and know its bob on even if that means neglecting the cleaning.

If I put the pull through, through the barrel the next shot can be as much as three inches off and then a group of around 4 inches until about the 5th shot then it tightens right back in.

On my ticket it says "maximum ammunition including expanding ammunition 200. Possession exp missiles 600. To purchase exp missiles 500."

I interpret that as I can have 200 round "made up" and have 400 Exp missiles ready to be made up. It's true that it does not state a quantity for none Exp missiles or that I can't have them but I will check with the FEO my one is spot on I'm pretty lucky regarding that.

Back