Parker hale box mag conversations

Simjim33

Is there any one out there that has converted a PH from floor plate to detachable box mag? If you did can you tell me where you got the kit from please? As it came up in a conversation with my brother in law today that he had seen one. I didn't think they did them and that has stopped me getting one for a long time.

Hmmmm not quite sure what you mean but P-H did make a couple of models that used a detachable magazine. The 1200C "Super Clip" and the 1300S Scout both used detchable magazines. This is a 1200C:-

PICT0082.jpg

PICT0094.jpg

PICT0102.jpg

PICT0100.jpg

The Trigger guard is different and the front of the bottom metal work is a separate piece, the one the fore stock screw goes through and it's steel not alloy, the drop magazine has a case which fits inside the stock and this is retained by a third screw which to get at you have to remove the rol pin and take the magazine catch out.. It's not as straight forwards as it fist looks. Sorry I do not have any better photos of it.

Yes the 1200C was offered is several chamberings, mine is a 25-06. I count 8 chamberings in the 76/77 catalogues for the 1200C:-

.243, 6mm, 25-06, 270, 30-06, 308, 7mm Rem mag, 300 Win mag.

The 1300S "Scout" which has the laminated wood stock and the threaded muzzle and Muzzle brake fitted came with either a 5 rnd or 10 rnd magazine which is quite boxey in look was only offered in .243 and .308..

There is a Scout in .308 on guntrader in Ayreshire. There was a place in the Midlands advertising a brand new .270 1200C but my Gunmart is a old one now. Ahhh it was laying on top on my printer under the road atlas. It's Nov 2010 as I said old but the shop was:-

Guns & Ammo of Sheffield 01142-401634. they were asking £499 for the new Super clip deluxe .................... hmm never seen a deluxe one :rolleyes:.

The trouble you will find is that most dealers have not got a clue when it comes to Parker-Hale models. Just look on Guntrader and you will see a Model 1000 listed as a 1200, almost any model listed as a Safari :banghead: extra special bits added like deluxe and of course very rare :zzz:. Good luck with your search and please let us know how it turns out.

Edit:- damn almost missed this one in .308 it's a cheap 1200C of course the dealer has not listed as so.... see what I mean.. £150. needs a new recoil pad you would have to check barrel for wear but at £150 a re-barrel is not out of the reach probably.http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/111031162245001

;)
:D

Last edited:
Parker Hale drop mag conversion

Hi ,I ran the set up pictured on a heavy barrel PH .243 (a 1200 of some description ) ,from memory the bottom metal is M98 and the mags are Gibb's Rifle Co , not made specifically for PH's but generic for large ring M98 actions , mag capacity is 3 in the box , fed pretty well , part exed the PH and put the standard drop floorplate back in before i took it in , just managed to remember where i had squirrelled it away ......
Regards ,
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2721.jpg
    IMG_2721.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 128
Thank you I had heard of the Gibbs mags but never seen any and thought they were copies of the P-H mags as there was a tie up between the companies in the late 80's and early 90's. I can see now they are completely different.

From memory again (and thats getting hazier ......) the Gibb's mags were designed to be a drop in replacement for standard waffen issue bottom metal ie take the standard floorplate off and drop the mag in and you're ready to shoot .They are well made , the bottom plate is cast alloy and the box is pressed steel , the lugs on the bottom plate are the mag release - in one piece with the rear 'tang' / lug - sprung loaded you pull them back and the mag drops in your hand .I beleive they were made in long and short config's .
I have always preferred drop mags - i was forever dropping rounds in the dirt after releasing a sprung floorplate and view blind box mags that you have to cycle the bolt to empty as being inherently unsafe .

Now that is what I was thinking. seams I might owe my brother in law a pint now. Any idea on where to get one? I really want a PH 1200 but have always bean put off by the sprung floor plate.

i emailed that company but they dont export i might try and get someone to get one and send it by post i will keep you informed,atb wayne

How much are these? i can't find a price on the site.
Don't have an idea what they actually retail at. I get them at trade rate.
You'd possibly need to get one sent to a RFD, Austrians can be complicated as they are not
allowed to use postal services for gun related parts. I had it posted via German postal service.
Otherwise postage is a real factor.
Price, my guess around £230 mag and bottom metall.

Is there a Voere agent in the UK? might make it easier.
edi

Thanks for that ejg.
Crikey! £230! i only paid £250 for my PH 30.06 and 80 rounds that came with it, i think i will stick with the drop plate.

seems a lot for something fairly simple.

I have a PH 270 with a removable bottom plate section (rather than hinged)
tempted to see if I can get a long action magazine and a spare bottom plate and see if one can be "manufactured" shed style!

Just as an word of encouragement for considering this project;

In our recent Help for Heroes shooting competition the first prize was a .308 chambered Mauser with drop mag fitted into a Parker-Hale Scout laminated stock. It was made up by Lewis Potter of Potter & Walker of Evesham and was thing of beauty to behold.

The firm of Potter & Walker will live on into the future too as Dan, Lewis's son is now going to continue the business well into the future. A relief to all who live round here and shoot.

Simon

Is there any one out there that has converted a PH from floor plate to detachable box mag? If you did can you tell me where you got the kit from please? As it came up in a conversation with my brother in law today that he had seen one. I didn't think they did them and that has stopped me getting one for a long time.

Dont do it Simjim, I have a PH 1200C superclip, (soon to be moved on) the magazine is made out of baked bean tin material, but you can get new mags from Norman Clark Gunsmiths (£38.00).

I bought a new mag after the old one stopped working, even the new one wont hold the rounds properly, if you manage to chamber a round without it mashing the tip, when you eject it a live round comes out with it, I have, with help from a PH expert, spent hours trying to get the mag to work, it wont.

The expert I spoke to (35 years working with Parker Hale) told me that when the assemblers were putting the rifles together in the factory they had a bucketful of mags and they kept going through them until one fitted, quality eh :lol:

No wonder we lost our riflemaking industry, the workmanship of this rifle is garbage, like its been codged together in a garden shed! I am led to believe that the hinged floorplate versions work ok though.

Its typical overcomplication of a simple mechanism, they tried to make a 4 round staggered magazine that is infantile in its construction, a simple 3 round "in line" magazine is not a difficult concept to grasp for most except Parker Hale, no wonder they went bust

Last edited:
Back