Disclaimer: I would like to state that I have read the relevant topics on the forum, but I still need to ask specific questions, hence the new topic. Thanks!
Hallo all. I need to buy a knife that I can use for gralloching and skinning when stalking. I do not know much about knives (and I am slowly learning about stalking too) but I know what I need my knife to do. My requirements will hopefully not be impossible to meet, so I thought I ask here and appeal to your collective experience and stalking wisdom...
Here it goes. I need the knife to
1. Be razor sharp. I mean, the closer to surgical sharpness, the better
2. Be able to keep a sharp edge for as long as it is possible (I will try and do my best to look after it)
3. Be hard wearing (have a thick and strong blade for example) as I am not so articulate with a knife yet and I might occasionally hit a bone while skinning, gutting etc
4. Keep the cost as low as possible
5. Be a fixed blade knife (hygiene reasons)
I have been recommended to go for a Helle knife as they are triple layered (steel, carbon, steel) and very sharp and hard wearing. I was told I can get one for around £50 which is the maximum I would like to spend, anyway.
I have seen a couple of Boker knives for half the price of a Helle (Boker magnum Elk Hunter for example) but are they half as good?
I have read in other topics here (this one and this one for example) that there are other very good and sharp knives (which when I googled saw them priced from as little as as £10), but I can see from the pictures I googled that the blades are rather thin and look to me as if they will bend etc, so do not agree with my rule number 3 above.
Any help would be mostly appreciated. Thank you in advance!