stupid question

biker1

stupid question but here goes, is it possible to remove live primers from cases without them exploding. If so how do you do it ?

regards biker1

I would of thought you could just push them out like a used one but dont hold me to it i have never had to remove one that hasnt been used

Yes you can de-prime live primers in the same way as you would fired primers, but carefully, and as always wear eye protection just in case. Don't however try it with crimped in primers such as used on some military ammunition.

Yes you can de-prime live primers in the same way as you would fired primers, but carefully, and as always wear eye protection just in case. Don't however try it with crimped in primers such as used on some military ammunition.

+1 i have done plenty like this

I can't imagine that you'd want to use salvaged primers in another load so why not "pop!" them first, using your rifle, pointed in a safe direction of course, then deprime as usual? ..

I know some people say "nonsense!, I've pressed out zillions of them with out a problem" To those, I'd say... so what? ... and... just what do you do next, with mangled live primers?

have taken loads out of homeloads that I have inherited.
I wont use mixed primers or loads I didn't see assembled so I pull them all.

on that basis the primers don't get reused, but for 3p loss I am not bothered

I have set off more primers seating them (grand total of 2) than I have ever set off removing live ones (0)

have taken loads out of homeloads that I have inherited.

..............................................................................................................................

I have set off more primers seating them (grand total of 2) :eek: than I have ever set off removing live ones (0)

To that, I'd say... so what? ... and... just what do you do next, with mangled live primers?

Put a drop of light oil into the top of the case. Once it's soaked into the primer it won't go off. I got that tip from an ex army armourer now gunsmith.

fraser

Good on that question. Also, it was found in tests that even cases treated like this would have viable primers in them. The oil never displaced the air in the primer through the flash hole. I decapped some live primers this evening. So slow and never with crimped pockets. (military)~Muir

To that, I'd say... so what? ... and... just what do you do next, with mangled live primers?

you mean how do I dispose of them or do I re-use them?

they are not mangled, they come out very cleanly. I actually tested one reseating it and test firing, worked fine.
But as I said above, I would not recommend using them and I don't reuse them, so they get soaked in water and disposed of.

What do you do next? ... I mean with the oily case interior.

Decap as normal and clean the case with a solvent like propanol to disperse the oil. I think the chances of the primer going off after the oil is applied are pretty low and you probably wouldn't be doing all that many cases really.

fraser

Ditto. I've removed hundreds of unfired primers over the years, without a single one going off. I've also made up batches of rounds with previously-seated primers and virgin primers for comparison and found no difference in consistency.

I've de-primed loads of primed cases that I either wanted to sell OR wanted to use a "more accurate" primer. Never had a problem. The key is soft and slow...

A primer is designed to go off when it is struck. So if you use a gentle press it should not, in theory, go off. I just run them through a decapping die slowly so that the decapping pin PUSHES it out rather than KNOCKS it out.

But as others say use eye and ear protection and certainly don't use a decapping rod and hammer as on a Lee Loader!

Now, as to firing primed empty cases in ANY weapon I'd say...NEVER!

Two reasons.

First that that is how somehow at sometime a live round gets introduced into the equation.

Second without the pressure and back thrust of a loaded round YOUR PRIMER WILL BACK OUT! This then usually means that if the bolt isn't jammed then the now fired case with the now part backed out primer won't now fit in your shellholder.

So my advice? Don't do it! De-cap as normal, soft and slow, oil soaking if you wish, and with eye and ear protection.

Thanks for advise lads, took the plunge and deprimed 50 cases without any going off. Soft and slow wins the day:D

Thanks for advise lads, took the plunge and deprimed 50 cases without any going off. Soft and slow wins the day:D
all of the previous advice good. i use a lee handpress and dedicated deprimer die with a slow and gentle action. live primers put into a small food bag and liberally spray with wd40 which deactivates them. i will store for a week or two before testing and never had a live one. i should add that as well as using safety specs i never reuse after removal

hi all the reason i ask is i have brought some secondhand brass with primers already fitted, and i want to use new primers in all of the reloaded cases. All of the fired and unfired primers will be binned anyway. regards tony

Back