Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three+ month vacation in England cost?

Three+ month vacation in England cost?

I'll probably come to england in a year or so to stalk. I've been thinking, probably not a good idea, that I might just take an extended vacation. I know that this a very broad question, but how much would it cost monthly to live in the southern half of England. I wouldn't want to live in a city, maybe a small village, but near public transportation. Something like one sees in the tv show "Midsommer Mysteries" would be great. I would like a small one bedroom Kitchen and living room, for me and my wife. I would need TV and avalibility of the net, but I assume that that is universal now. General costs would be appreciated. If this would be better with PM, we can go there. Thanks, capt david

Anything from 400/month upwards, if you can find something on a short term rental that is, you might get wireless internet included but don't count on it.
    The above would probably only get you a flat, a cottage/house will costa small forune.
    Just google rental properties in a southern county to give you an idea.
    Deer stalking and fly fishing opportunities in Devon

capt you have given yourself a problem before you start not many small villages have public transport anymore !
    can say small cottage 650month
    Car lease 200month
    thats probably the best option assuming you drive.factor in a month in Scotland still the best place to stalk deer my not have CWD and munties but it has proper stalking and midges in summer!

What would utilities cost? When you say 'flat,' I'm assuming that you mean what we call apartments? I know that this is a general question, but are the y in big units or small ones. What, would be some of the most rural counties? Would any county be a lot more expensive than another? I assume the farther away from London, and maybe the coast, would be less expensive? capt david

Wow, too broad a question I think. You'd need to specify which county at the least and what approximate budget you have. I know its tempting to put 'the cheapest' but i think you have to give at least an expectation of how much you're willing to pay. 1000 a month would get you a fantastic place......100 wouldn't!
    As far as t'interweb goes you can get a dongle here with say 2gb a month for about 15 if its not included with your monthly rental.
    To go really cheap you need to be looking at university cities and the associated relatively cheap living.
    I know a place you can stay for 50 per night BnB for the 2 of you and I'm sure there are cheaper places that others on here know (the place I know is in Dumfries and Galloway so may be a bit north for you and for a little extra they could do an evening meal)

Good luck with the search but I really do think you will need to be more specific to get a realistic idea
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

You could always try and seek asylum? Our friendly govt. will pay You then!
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Norfolk might be worth a look , theres Roe , Muntjac , Water deer , Fallow and Red . October through November be a be a good time as far as seasons go for stalking and for bird shooting , good variety of sport in quite a small area . For a long stay it might be worth buying a second hand car but you want to check out fuel prices here first you might have a supprise

Another quick thought is it may be worth contacting a big shooting estate and seeing if they are willing to do a deal , Lowther Estate in cumbria has Red and Roe they also have salmon , pheasant , partridge and grouse . They have loads of places for rent and some good pubs in the area

Several things:
    600-700pounds or a little more is within my budget, I could add a little more if needed.

How do yuo make the pound sterling sign?

I am an English History 'nut'. I'm espicaly intrested in Henry II, Richard I, John, Henry VII, and Elizabeth I. Most of there activity is in the area that I want to stay.

capt david

Again, specifics....6-7 per week/month? sign for us is shift and 3 bt will be different or need specifying on a US keyboard.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks