Thread: Birthday treat

Birthday treat

Was my oldest 6th birthday the other month so I decided to see if he wanted to come stalking with dad instead of 'paper shooting' as he calls it.

So the alarm was set early the morning after his birthday and we crept out of the house without waking his mum or younger brother and off down the road to one of my permissions. We parked up and made our way down the edge of the wood to look over the bottom corner where the roe tend to be at first light.
    So we waited and waited but nothing showing, then I get a nudge in my side. 'Dad, I'm bored can we go home now'. Well we had been there for about an hour so he didn't do to bad as he can't b****y sit still to save his life. So it was a slow walk back up the way we came. We got to about 100m from a dividing hedge that comes out 90 degrees from the wood and I saw the white rump of a roe in the hedge. So we tucked into the headland and glassed 3 roe in the hedge. 1 was a good buck, a button buck and another that didn't make it easy to get a clear veiw of.
    The button buck sussed something was wrong and curiosety got the better of him and he started to make his way out from the hedge into the field, up on the long bipod in the headland and waited for him to stop about 60m away. The 30-06 barked and he fell to a neck shot. The other 2 just looked and slowly made there way through the hedge into the next field.

Now I thought he might be a bit squeamish with the gralloch even though he has seen the carcuses at home and is always around when they are being done. When you mention where the food goes in and where poo and wee come out it all the 'gore' seams to go away.

All packed away and off home where he couldn't wait to tell his little brother that we got a deer. Daddy's not so bad after all!!!!!

Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

I took my 6 year old daughter pigeon shooting a couple of weeks ago. she loved it and declared loudly "you missed that one daddy, that wasnt very good" every time i missed,
    You better start saving for his first rifle Jonothan,
    by the way where do you find all those Roe ?, im only 9 miles from you but theres none here
    ATB Jonty

My (now) 9 and 10 year old lads started about the same age. I made them drag a roe back to the car the first time they were out with me. faces covered in blood when we got home, screaming, 'mum, mum dad shot a deer....!!!!' My wife came to the door and shouted at them, 'bath.... now!!!'.

Fond memories indeed...

It's the best time to start them, and the story book's in the school asking what they done at the weekend? are a riot to read after the year is finished
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

Well done mate great to see the kids coming on my boy as had a few now mate, and I took adams boy out as well got him a stag I think I was more chuffed than they where great to see it takes u back to when it was use.

Nice one Jono, won't be long before he's wanting some seriously expensive xmas pressies!

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

jon great to see you out with your lad thats the age to start them
    cant put a price on that in my opinion
    wont be long before we see you both at the monmouth yearly get toghter

regards pete .