First wild boar trip

Von

Going to Poland for three days wild boar shooting on the 1st of December. It's my first time wild boar shooting, have any of you guys any tips for me? also what are the fundimental peices of kit i should take apart from my gun and bullets?

Looking forward to it but just don't know what to expect!

Von

Stay quiet, stay on the right side of the ride, as per instructed by your operators. Dont shoot a lead sow with lots of little piglets on its heels! You have to strike a balance of first being safe and also taking your chances quickly. I think this time or the first time is all about seeing how it works and a learning process. I never fired a shot on my first trip, was too hesitant, but better to be safe than reckless! My next trip, once i new the score, I shot 7. It was my best trip ever.:)

Warm clothes, good boots. A little tripod seat is a huge benefit as you will be standing around for hours. Be quiet and do not move about once in position in the drive - hence the seat. Bring an emergency supply of Mars bars as the food can be shite in places.

Boar do not require much lead. Shotgunners tend to miss in front, remember a HV bullet is travelling three times faster than a shotgun load. on a crossing shot, swing the horizontal crosshair through the body, as the vertical hair passes along his head towards his snout, fire. If a boar is running generally towards you at pretty much any angle, shoot at his snout.

British deer stalkers can be very hesitant waiting for a perfect shot that never appears. Take whatever safe shot presents

Last edited:
Going to Poland for three days wild boar shooting on the 1st of December. It's my first time wild boar shooting, have any of you guys any tips for me? also what are the fundimental peices of kit i should take apart from my gun and bullets?

Looking forward to it but just don't know what to expect!

Von

Suitable clothing.... it can be affy cold in those Polish woods if the weather's wintry. Other than that, just practice working the bolt rapid like, for that next aimed shot.

And, my own personal bug bear... stay on your peg till the drive is finished... I hate losing chances because guys at one end of the line think the drive's over just because it's past them. That late breaker that gives you a clear shot behind that you simply can't take owing to the bunch of numpties, off their pegs too soon, wandering about in the back land looking for their own pigs..... Grrr!

Hi Von,
Bring a high vis orange vest as sold in halfords cost 2 quidish plus a orange hat band if you can find one.
A 10er box of plastic ear plugs, I use one in the left ear when shooting (I am a right hander) as thats where the noise is worst at the front ear but I can still hear the pigs moving with my right ear, the rest of the box is in case you get bunked up with a snoring partner in your room, its happened too often to me and crap sleep equals a crap next days hunting.
A knife sharpener and a knife in a sheath not as carry on lugage, a boar takes the edge off a blade fast at the gralloch because of all the mud they wallow in setting hard in the fur.
Plus spare wool socks if it gets wet.
Regards
Martin

I would be very surprised if you need a knife, unless it is to trim your nails.
I have seen so many guys turn up with knives that look like machettes, Bowie knives, Bayonettes and some really nice knives too but have never been allowed to use them on the Boar shot.
The Foresters usually/always have dedicated guys to do the gralloching and inspection before they tag them, they also take the sample needed for trichonella testing.
Apart from that, as everybody says above is good advice.
I bet this won't be your last trip:D
Who are you going with, I know a few that are also going on the same dates but not all are going to Poland.

They certainly take the edge off your knife, i was requested to skin a boar so we could have it for dinner on a Croation trip.......

Warm clothes, seat,wee flask of tea..... rifle slip.....

We are going with Woodmills shooting. Nell above is also going on the same trip. Im looking forwrd to it but a wee bit aprehensive all the same. Thanks for the advice chaps

Hi Von,
I am going with Steve as well, next Thursday so I'll make sure I leave a couple for you !!!!
I have not been with him before and was not used to making my own way to Berlin.
I managed to get a flight but at nothing like the cost that it was advertised at.
By the time I had added the tax, booking fee, plastic fee and everything else it went from £81.19 to £204 and now they tell me I have to pay an extra £50 each way for the rifle !!!!
Can you tell me who you booked with as I have never come across this system before.
I got charged once on a Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt to Heathrow but that was only 30 Euros, not £50.00

A little tripod seat is a huge benefit as you will be standing around for hours. Be quiet and do not move about once in position in the drive - hence the seat.supply of Mars bars as .

British deer stalkers can be very hesitant waiting for a perfect shot that never appears. Take whatever safe shot presents

Two very sound pieces of advice, can't emphasis the seat enough, the amount of rifles you see standing, turning around, shuffling from foot to foot, waving the rifle about, then complain that they never saw a pig!!!!

Have a look at the Harkila rucksac seats,(can get similar cheaper) i take mine as hand luggage and is good for carrying bits and pieces on the drives.

Get a seat, plunk your a*se on it and don't move till the piggies come.

Moose

Emcc our flight prices are much the same as yours. Easyjet also charge extra for rifles etc. Need to.purchase a wee.seat i think?

Hi Von,
I don't know what the h**** is going on, I have just had an e mail from my booking agent telling me the price has gone from £204 to £276.63 and they have not had confirmation that BMI will allow firearms on the flight.
They are stiil awaiting confirmation and as a result have not booked my flight yet !!:eek:

You can get cheap rucksack seats on e bay. Not sure of the quality! But then you could buy about ten of them for the price of the harkila one.

My mate has just got back and had a disaster of a trip, very few animals shot by the party, he managed a small one, but was gutted with the trip. The host offered some of the guns an opportunity to go and shoot some roe does in the UK as compensation.:confused:

PM me for the more details if you wish.

ATB

Tahr

Back