New dogs

monynut

Just got today 2 new additions to the family, lab retriever cross, they are 9 w/o dog and bitch, brother and sister.

l have only ever had 1 working dog before a springer which l got already trained and only ever used her on game.

Obviously l need to start with the basic training but any guidance for the way forward with training for deer work from you guys would be appreciated also any recommendations for good books on training dogs for deer.

Lab x Retriever. Please tell me that this was not a deliberate mating. :lol:

You could get extremely lucky and have a blinder. But the odds are against it I'm afraid. Crosses usually bring forth the worst in both breeds.

Good luck.

Guy Wallace's book on training dogs for deer stalking is excellent, it worked for me pretty mutch as he described. Except I didn't have a rabit pen which I now regret.
I think its actually aimed at hpr's but I can't see why it wouldn't work with any dog.

Baker said:
Lab x Retriever. Please tell me that this was not a deliberate mating. :lol:

You could get extremely lucky and have a blinder. But the odds are against it I'm afraid. Crosses usually bring forth the worst in both breeds.

Good luck.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth :lol: they have got to be better than what l have presently and also eventually when and if l manage to bring them on it will be a bit of company when l am solo stalking, if l get that far with them :lol:

Beowulf said:
Bradley....er, I mean Baker won't be coming out to play anymore.

Well l never :eek: fat tyres and stablisers riding of into the sunset looking for the mountains :D well we can all dream :rolleyes:

Back