Mentoring Template

Phil2174

Hi guys, I've just spoken to my FEO they are quite happy to grant CF on my application but will need to include a letter from my mentor. Does anybody have a template. Thanks in advance

Cheers,

Phil

You'd better ask your FEO what the information is that he wants. AFAIK there's no definition of what a 'mentor' is or what they are meant to be approving or satisfying.

Last edited:
A letter off someone saying he has agreed to be your mentor?

I think your FEO is out on a limb here but if he won't budge, keep it simple....

I __________ FAC no____________ have agreed to act as a mentor for______________ until such time as I feel he has gained sufficient knowledge and experience in the use of a centrefire rifle with regard to public safety.

Signed___________ date__________

My CF mentor has to hold an open certificate and have a caliber equal to or greater than the one he is mentoring me for.

What a load of cobblers! There are official reference forms included with firearms form 101. If the firearms enquiry officer wants you to supply references in a different format then ask him to provide the 'template'.

JC

What a load of cobblers! There are official reference forms included with firearms form 101. If the firearms enquiry officer wants you to supply references in a different format then ask him to provide the 'template'.

JC
Jc this is for a mentor and not a referee. But I agree with putting the oweness on the FEO

Jc this is for a mentor and not a referee. But I agree with putting the oweness on the FEO

You are either a `suitable` person for CF or you are not. It is for the Chf Constable via the FEO to make that call via their own research and the paperwork that is standard for any application, and they should be providing the documents / templates if they require them to be completed. Sounds like another case of a FLD making up their own `interpretations` or a FEO on a power trip !!!

Whoever you ask to be a mentor needs to be careful, as the FLD may then put a condition on your FAC that means you have to / can only go out with that named person whenever you have your CF.... and that is a lot to ask of anybody !!!

Good luck.

The shooting organisations are glaringly absent on this issue, come on B.A.S.C. pull your bloody fingers out!!!, (Maybe write them another letter!!!)

My CF mentor has to hold an open certificate and have a caliber equal to or greater than the one he is mentoring me for.

I sounded out the FEO with regard CF, when I did my shotgun renewal.
He pretty much said exactly that, and it would take probably 3 deer and a letter from the mentor to say I was "safe" and have this restriction lifted.

I completed the dsc level 1 course, and was granted CF rifle with out the requirement for being mentored. In addition when I received my FAC back the conditions were changed to an open certificate.

The shooting organisations are glaringly absent on this issue, come on B.A.S.C. pull your bloody fingers out!!!, (Maybe write them another letter!!!)
i would imagine BASC would like it if people went on one of their training courses it makes good for good business

I'm not sure the BASC has much to offer to help the FAC-applicants of the future escape mentoring conditions.

The following vignette is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to any organisations, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
BASC: What's this with the mentoring conditions already?
FLD: Yea, well, they're absolutly super, aren't they?
BASC: What on earth do you mean? No basis in law, no justification for further restriction of this sort, blah, blah, blah. Explain yourselves!!
FLD: Well, we just tell new applicants they have to have a mentor. They don't seem to mind. In fact, most of them expect it. Many seem positively overcome with gratitude to get a FAC at all!
BASC: what about the experienced chaps who are the 'mentors' - haven't they seen through this pernicious anti-libertarian charade?
FLD: No. In fact, they're simply falling over themselves to help us out. Like we said, the condition is really, really popular. Some of them even make a few bob out of it; and even it they don't, they get to feel really important and to write us letters and so on. We see it less as a restriciton and more as a way of keeping FAC-holders' morale up, really.
BASC: Oh well, there we are then.

The remedy for this condition, as has been demonstrated in more than one case, seems to be for the person about to be conditioned to challenge it politely and in writing.

As I've mentioned on previous threads on this subject, I think it can only be to the good if the people who might act as mentors, while continuing to offer support and guidance to new FAC-holders simply refused to get involved if there was a 'mentoring condition' on the novice's FAC. My take on this would be that if the police aren't sure he's going to be safe, they shouldn't issue the ticket. Not issue it and expect me to take the rap!

My original FAC application was for .22 and 22-250. No problem but I would have to have a mentor for the first 6 months on the cf. No mention of how many times we would need to be out together, just 6 months! A year after my appplication my father decided to apply for his FAC and applied for the same calibres. Can anyone guess where this is leading? Yep, granted but with me as his mentor.(he has 20 years more shooting experiece than I, albeit not with a cf rifle. BUT THEN I ONLY HAD 1 YEAR AT THE TIME) I also requested that as I was deemed suitable to act as a mentor there should be no reason why I should not be granted an open ticket, should there? Hey presto open ticket after 1 year! Can anybody see any sense in there logic?

My original FAC application was for .22 and 22-250. No problem but I would have to have a mentor for the first 6 months on the cf. No mention of how many times we would need to be out together, just 6 months! A year after my appplication my father decided to apply for his FAC and applied for the same calibres. Can anyone guess where this is leading? Yep, granted but with me as his mentor.(he has 20 years more shooting experiece than I, albeit not with a cf rifle. BUT THEN I ONLY HAD 1 YEAR AT THE TIME) I also requested that as I was deemed suitable to act as a mentor there should be no reason why I should not be granted an open ticket, should there? Hey presto open ticket after 1 year! Can anybody see any sense in there logic?

I can't

Dalua, I enjoyed that comedy sketch from BASC HQ :lol:

I think it can only be to the good if the people who might act as mentors, while continuing to offer support and guidance to new FAC-holders simply refused to get involved if there was a 'mentoring condition' on the novice's FAC.

It would only take one mentor to be held accountable for the actions of a novice and this would happen, there's nothing more certain.

On a slightly different but relevant vein... I wonder if a mentor has ever contacted the FEO to say that in his opinion the 'mentoree' is incompetent in the use of a firearm and can't be trusted with a sling-shot?

the firearms forxes across the country are just trying to pass the buck on to others. this is what it boils down to

Is the "Legal Responsibility" of the Mentor laid out anywhere? Does it exist as an entity in law?

Is the "Legal Responsibility" of the Mentor laid out anywhere? Does it exist as an entity in law?

If you find it let us all know! ;)

It's all made up by some FLDs because they can't make their own decisions, and applicants accept it because they either know no better or are scared of rocking the boat and worried that it will affect their application.

Back