DCS madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

griff

The DCS have just met to discuss the current proposal by Senior DCS Staf that all stalkers in Scotland must have a compulsory test from themselves. No test no stalking in Scotland. This can be viewed from the DCS website , meetings 261/9.
This is being backed by two other organisations but not BASC..
This is just a revenue generator and i would expect all members to make their feelings known.
They say that they will keep it as cheap as possible! Which is what?
£250 or more....
The other oranisations that have approved this move are hoping to get the opportunity to do the training..

If this proposal goes through then you will not be able to own a deer rifle or stalk in Scotland without first passing a DCS test, and as compulsory testing goes then the it will be closely followed by legislation from the Firearms Authority! No Test no Gun..

I can only hope that the Representions from BASC were enough to dissuade them from continuing with this madness..

regards
griff

Would this refer to FCS land, or other land on which you would be a '3rd party' shooter only.

Or does it include all land, so even a land owner would not be allowed to personally cull deer?

No rifle at all - so would it extend to shooting foxes?

The proposals are that you will not be allowed to shoot deer in Scotland without first passing a DCS test. This includes everybody including land owners..

regards
griff

I've just read the relevant part. Now that's what I call a closed shop agreement.

Abolishing the closed season for males is a good idea, but the rest! kiss goodbye to overseas stalkers, paying tourists.

At least the deer population will grow out of control in a few years, that will give the government elite and their micro managing cronies plenty to shoot on other people's land.

In America this has a legal name - racketeering - using the power of your organisation for your own personal ends.

From the DCS website:
DCS recommends that a register for all those who shoot deer should be set up. All
those on the register would need to have demonstrated practical deer skills and
knowledge. This would build on assessment approaches already in place and on the
DCS database of those authorised to shoot deer out of season. It would be a new
offence for anyone to take or kill deer without being on the register. Only those
shooting deer under supervision of a person on the register would be exempt, and
provisions would be put in place to recognise foreign awards or licences which meet
Scottish standards. The introduction of the register would be phased in over a
number of years. This approach would support the principle of the individual being
responsible for their own actions, and bring Scotland in line with many of our
European neighbours, which operate systems of hunting licences. All those on the
register would have to submit an annual cull return.

Also proposed is an open season on all male deer and a shortened female season..

from DCS website:
In summary, DCS proposes the:
 Introduction of a register for all who shoot deer. All those on the register
would need to have demonstrated practical deer skills and knowledge. There
would be special arrangements for those under supervision and those from
abroad, and those seeking to shoot deer at night.
 Removal of the closed season for male deer
 Shortening of the closed season for female deer with a swifter but more
rigorous process of authorisation to shoot out of season.
 Removal of all other requirements to seek authorisations
 Introduction of a new offence of recklessly driving deer with vehicles
 Introduction of a requirement for individuals on the register to submit a cull
return

Dear All

I think there is more to come and more changes to this before it goes to the minister. But I can assure you that BASC will stand agianst compulsory testing.

David

DCS

If i have just passed my DMQ1 & 2 and i have to pay to register with the DCS i will go fecking ballistic.

Makes a mockery of BASC if this happens and I will not be slow in venting it.

I feel that the DMQ 2 is as far as it needs to go and i am sure the DCS will go with that but they are certainly in favor of every one getting to that level . Do i agree not really it will make starting in deerstalking very expensive and will put some off./It will go down the road of an elitist field sport. It is the fastest growing and this might put the brakes on . PS WATCH THE di they will be on this one like a shot.

I have had it on good authority that this DCS initiative is being backed by the BDS :eek:

The rationale being that they will pick up the training on the back of it!

if this happens
does it mean there might be a chance that stalking leases will come down in price?
might even mean land prices may also suffer , as i suppose there will be a covenant on the deeds which will prevent the owner purchasing the land for comercial timber because of the sporting potential unless they can prove they hav level2
wow this could be fun watching this unfold :lol:

1. In England/Wales there is no statuatory management of deer.

2. In Scotland there is. We recognise the damage that deer do to agriculture and habitat. This is the purpose of the DCS. Firm sustainable management and control. A "Business" approach to a real problem.

3. There is no attack here in yesterday's proposal with regard to recreational stalkers. The purpose of the proposed register is to force all those who shoot deer in scotland to submit returns. This data is necessary.

4. The "discussions" yesterday stated that all deer shooters must be on "the register" and also that existing recognised national and foreign (yes, you English) "qualifications" are recognised.

5. The purpose is to manage deer, not provide additional revenue from stalking. There was no mention of fees etc.

6. If you are a member of BASC, BDS, St. Hubert's, CA, CLA etc.then all this fit's in with your organisation's ethos. Nothing changes, all they really need is existing stalkers to report their data.

7. There will always be the paranoid approach amonst those that see deer only as a "sport" outside the reach of all. Deer need managing in some environments.

We are all on a "register" already......

Now, what about my proposal that only Scots be allowed to shoot in Scotland. Same thing really.

Stan

While there are lots of areas that suffer deer damage there are al;so many more acres of land that do not . Why should the sports man send in data (is it really necessary ) that can be used against them later on . What if the deerstalker is not a member of any organisation and gets his insurance through farming etc.WILL LEV 1 QUALIFICATION BE RECONGNISED OR WILL YOU NEED LEV 2 . Or will the DCS make up a new qualification and if so who will oversee it.

With regards only Scots shooting in Scotland i am all for that and also charging the English a fee for crossing hadrian's wall.

But that has nothing to do with deer management. :lol:

I posted on another forum that I think this is total bollocks. To be told that I need to i) qualify and ii) request the approval of the DCS to manage deer on my own land in Scotland, is both farcical and insulting. I am not DSC 1/2-qualified, but I am qualified by experience. Decades of experience.

Scotland is too big a place for such legislation to be enforceable.

smullery said:
1. In England/Wales there is no statuatory management of deer.

2. In Scotland there is. We recognise the damage that deer do to agriculture and habitat. This is the purpose of the DCS. Firm sustainable management and control. A "Business" approach to a real problem.

3. There is no attack here in yesterday's proposal with regard to recreational stalkers. The purpose of the proposed register is to force all those who shoot deer in scotland to submit returns. This data is necessary.

4. The "discussions" yesterday stated that all deer shooters must be on "the register" and also that existing recognised national and foreign (yes, you English) "qualifications" are recognised.

5. The purpose is to manage deer, not provide additional revenue from stalking. There was no mention of fees etc.

6. If you are a member of BASC, BDS, St. Hubert's, CA, CLA etc.then all this fit's in with your organisation's ethos. Nothing changes, all they really need is existing stalkers to report their data.

7. There will always be the paranoid approach amonst those that see deer only as a "sport" outside the reach of all. Deer need managing in some environments.

We are all on a "register" already......

Now, what about my proposal that only Scots be allowed to shoot in Scotland. Same thing really.

Stan

Stan you are omitting the key point - to prove competence to be on the register you need to show you are at DSC2 level. Even the doc says that DSC1 is knowledge based so would not be sufficient.

Data gathering, management etc is a red herring - the DCS already have the powers to shoot deer where they want and require landowners to submit returns.

The material point here is that in one fell swoop it will restrict stalking and supervision of stalking in Scotland to DSC2 holders. There's no alternative method to prove completence at that level so the BDS will hold all the cards.

You only need to search for DSC2 on this forum to read about the torrid times people have trying to attain it. In many cases it turns out to be functionally impossible unless you are a semi-pro stalker (inclduing secondary paying lease holders) with easy access to deer.

S.

To give an idea of the nature of the beast :

P17 - 3.3.1 - the DCS is planning a seminar on the link between climate change and deer management.

Well here you go another drive in the wedge, anyone who thinks it is a good idea for even more legislation is an even bigger idiot than they have previously showed themselves to be.. a good idea god help us all :evil:
I detest all types of overbearing idiots trying to run something they know sod all about, there are a very few rogue outfits and individuals but most of us are decent law abiding folk, why should we be burdened with more and more crap. It will end up like Germany thats what we are heading for and then the real **** will start

It's time to stand up and stop the rot now before it's to late

( 300wsm It gets my vote )
Ill bet it dose me first im a cripple comes to mind . :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back