Let's be pedantic

Since when has "pedant" been an insult? It's derivation is believed to be from the old Italian or vulgar Latin for "teacher".

I listened to the news on the radio this morning about how graduates are having a difficult time finding jobs. Employers complain that too many graduates have poor communication skills, particularly in their ability to spell and use correct grammar and punctuation. Many CVs are riddled with errors, the result being that they are eliminated at the first round.

This is the sad result of a generation taught that "it doesn't matter if you can't spell, people will understand what you mean" and that there are more important things in life than the ability to communicate :rolleyes:

willie_gunn

Willie,

"This is the sad result of a generation taught that "it doesn't matter if you can't spell, people will understand what you mean"

The problem is that probably half the teaching staff cannot use English properly. Had a cousin who was a teacher but they now run a bookshop after getting fed up with stupid targets and being told not to do their jobs properly.

I tried to stop myself adding to this thread but the devil made me add this.....On my certificate it says Expanding heads missile, well they cant be , well unless your always supposed to miss a target, they surely must be hitiles. Just as the aircraft at work use both missiles ( which are designed to miss ) or hitiles which are designed to hit a target.

Back