Tkka T3 vs Sako 85

Regardless of which is best, it's telling that there is a fairly strong consensus that older Sako & Tikka rifles are superior to the current models. Is this just nostalgia, or has the drive for mass production (at a lower unit cost) been to the detriment of quality?

Regardless of which is best, it's telling that there is a fairly strong consensus that older Sako & Tikka rifles are superior to the current models. Is this just nostalgia, or has the drive for mass production (at a lower unit cost) been to the detriment of quality?

..and are almost all modern rifle barrels free floated because it's easier and cheaper to do than to do a proper action and barrel bedding job? :stir:

Roch,

If you want my pennies worth on the subject...

Until recently I owned A Tikka T3 hunter .243 and a Sako 85 .270 S/S. Firstly the tikka was my first good rifle and even after having the barrel shortened to 17" the thing would still clover leaf 100gn bullets at 100 yards. The T3 well out punched it's weight in my opinion with regard to performance. It did all I could ask of it - shot accurately and consistently. However the magazine was plastic, limited to three shots and felt pretty cheap and nasty, the bolt release was also plastic and didn't inspire confidence in it's longevity, the bolt shroud (plastic) as well came of after not long. I eventually got a plastic Tikka T3 stock however it never stayed on long as it felt pretty cheap.

In comparison my Sako 85 .270 shot every bit as well but I could not have shot it any more or less accurately than my t3. However... The magazine is sturdy, metal, has a 5 shot capacity, can be loaded whilst fitted to the rifle (the t3 can't do this) or removed for loading, the bolt release is metal, the bolt shroud also metallic, the magazine has a clever release catch that the t3 doesn't. There is also a little leaver that allows the rifle to be unloaded with the safety on, with the t3 you had to take the safety off to unload. The plastic stock for the 85 is also superior in quality and feel. The locking mechanisim on the bolt is also much more significant than the t3's.

The barrels may be identical, but nothing else is from what I can tell. On the one hand they are very similar but by the other ones a budget gun and the others the creme de la creme. But it is a hell of a bdget gun...

My T3 .243 has gone now and has been replaced by a s/hand .22-250 Sako 85 Hunter. The second hand 85 was £800 and is in very good condition, a second hand t3 would be £200-300 less. Second hand means the difference in price between the two is less yet the difference in quality is still huge, if your going second hand you'd be silly not to get a 85 over a T3 in my opinion.

If you lived closer I'd let you have a shot of my two.

Ali

Last edited:
From reading pretty much the whole thread i think that the overall conclusion would seem to match my own experiences with the various models considered .I have owned both old and new model Tikka's and Sako's in various calibres - still have a T3 stainless laminate and a couple of 75's .
No doubt about it , the T3 is built to a price - it shoots just as well as the old M series but i doubt very much if it will be as long lived , i dislike the standard T3 plastic stock - skimpy and just does not feel good , the ergonomics of it are nowhere near as good as a 75 stock or the timber on the m series , this is why i ended up with the T3 stainless laminate - it is also the rifle i reach for if the weather is foul (my 75's are walnut / blued ).

Bottom line is you pays your money and makes your choice - any of them will put venison in the larder , but for what its worth i would try and find either a 75 or M595/695 in your calibre choice - fit ,finish and general quality are better than todays offerings.

Ha ha ha, come on sir, T3's "much higher quality". Let's be realistic for a second, you think the owners are trying to pull the wool over the consumers eyes and sell a lower quality product (Sako in your book), at a much higher price to the 'best value' product (Tikka)? Are you therefore saying that Schultz and Larsen are a pile of junk given their low numbers of output? and therefore that Remmington 700's must be some of the best firearms in the world!

Did you have a drink at lunch by any chance - LOL ;)

I know what you say about BIC, interestingly I know the owners but that's besides the point. Yes, we also did a case study on them in business school, BUT, if BIC did a 'premium' line, it would be produced in the first batch series after a new production setup/moulds/etc was installed. Same as factory ammo, the best stuff comes off the line first, then the second best, etc.
The 'factory' ammo supplied to snipers is 'green dot' as its the most consistent stuff off the press, first 100 of each batch if I recall correctly.

BIC could make better lighters to tighter tolerances if they 'wanted to', but have perfected the art of 'best value' by honing their skills in the manufacturing process.

as for plastic mags feeding better than steel...the jury's out on this one.

Show me the tolerances on T3 vs Sako.
The Bic example was just to show that parts can be made to tight tolerances if figures are high and
enough time/effort can be invested in one product.
T3 is a simpler design yes, way less steps to make a rifle but not of worse quality compared to Sako, possibly better.
Yes a single stack mag feeds better than a double stack. logic.

Apart from this, I recently spoke to a T3 owner who had a lug or front end snap on his bolt,
as far as I know it was a 243. Rifle was taken back by the shop. Anyone heard of something
similar with a T3?

edi

Bought an NEW M695 not so long ago for £500 from A E Clarke in Camburley. Last time I checked they had another one. I suspect this may make your choice a bit easier. Leaves you money for a good scope and to go stalking. At least you won't have to buy a knife ! :D

Apart from this, I recently spoke to a T3 owner who had a lug or front end snap on his bolt,
as far as I know it was a 243. Rifle was taken back by the shop. Anyone heard of something
similar with a T3?

edi

Bloody hell Edi a bolt lug snapping,:eek: that would worry me,:scared: it really was a lug snapping off and I am reading that right? If so one more reason to own a Sako, if one lug snaps you still have 2 to keep the bolt from ending up in the side of your head.:D

ATB

Tahr

Bloody hell Edi a bolt lug snapping,:eek: that would worry me,:scared: it really was a lug snapping off and I am reading that right? If so one more reason to own a Sako, if one lug snaps you still have 2 to keep the bolt from ending up in the side of your head.:D

ATB

Tahr
The three lug sako does give a good impression. My old sako has only two and
they look much lighter than even remmy.
I had never heard of a lug or front of a bolt snapping in any form on a T3 before.
The chap who returned his broke T3 had been in my shop before and I had that rifle in my hands.
Pity he couldn't describe better what had broken, happened with factory ammo.
He didn't mention any case rupture or big bang, just that the front of the bolt broke off.
edi

Hi Edi
I could understand an ejector snapping; while I would take a Sako over a Tikka without actually seeing it I find it hard to believe a T3 would snap a lug off it must be a one off?

Intrigued now keep us informed if you hear more as a couple of my mates have T3s.,

ATB

Kev

A lug snap of?? The bolt lugs are cast and machined aren't they from stainless steel. Surely not!? The plastic bolt shroud does seem to break though. The only thing about T3's that ****es me off is they don't do one in .375 h&h. No way I'm paying Sako prices for one... :cuckoo: :coat:

HI, I have owned both of these rifles and currently still have a Sako 85 in 6.5x55. There isnt anything in it re accuracy but i just like the appearance and feel of the 85. I would always recommend buying the best scope you an afford so it may be worth putting the extra cash toward something really decent? Cheers

Back