Thread: 7.92x57JS

I've just spotted a really nice BRNO for sale with a Stutzen stock, set triggers, and a Lovec scope for sale on a local auction site. I don't actually NEED another rifle, but it's very nice At present it's at about 100, and is finishing tomorrow. The only reservation I've got is that it's in 7.92x57JS which doesn't seem to be widely used any more.

Does anyone here use a rifle in this calibre? What do you think of it?

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    I had an 8x60S (with 25" barrel) that is effectively the SAME thing. It is a most fantastic calibre provided you realise it has big advantages and one small disadvantage.

Big advantage is that unlike the American 30-06 based cartridges you can seat the bullet further out of the case. In fact in ALL loadings that the Germans ever used there was but one overall cartridge length regardless of bullet weight of 82mm.

The benefit is that effectively it does not yield much in usable case capacity to the 30-06 with like for like weight bullets.

A small disadvantage is that with light bullets...say 150 grain...their isn't much bearing surface. However it was that bullet weight in a spitzer shape at 2,900fps that caused the world a shock when it debuted in 1904.

Also with any weight bullets it works better with double base powders (especially SNPE SP7) than the bulkier American single base tubular powders.

As for bullets bear in mind that Hornady products have their cannelure placed to optimise that bullet when reloading 8mm Remington Magnum. So, for example, on Hornady's 196 grain 8mm bullet the cannelure for 7.92mm Mauser use is too far forward.

Try Speer's 200 grain similar, but not cannelured, equivalent.

I think that it is a good rifle at any range and my 8x60S put all bullet weights, 150 grain, 170 grain, 200 grain into a 3" circle at 100 yards with the SAME SCOPE SIGHT SETTING. That's versatile!

Well I happen to like the 7.92mm Mauser cartridge. Mine is a Parker-Hale 1200S.

May I suggest the Grom bullets. The S&B 196 Grain SPCE is also a good bullet.

I might be mistaken, but is 7.92mmJS the same as 8x57mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    I might be mistaken, but is 7.92mmJS the same as 8x57mm?
    Yes it is.

In case anyone is interested here is a link to the rifle in question:
    Last edited by Tartan_Terrier; 14-11-2011 at 20:52.

I have Brno M21, small ring 8x57JS.....lovely rifle....This is the same only in stutzen version..Mine is from 1947...this cal. is in renaissance now in Europa and Scandinavia, mostly because increase of wild boar, mild recoil, etc....have spare barrell for Sauer 202 too in this cal.
    Last edited by schultz and larsen; 14-11-2011 at 21:30.
    one shot, one skill

Established Poster
    Tokoroa, South Waikato,NZ
    I would buy that if I were you it is a fine looking rifle there are lots of companies making ammo for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    Yes it is.

In case anyone is interested here is a link to the rifle in question:

I took a fine deer with an iron-sighted 8x57 last year and will do so again next weekend. Great cartridge. I use 206 grain bullets. Prvi Partizan makes 196 grain SP loaded ammo.~Muir

I use Grom of Prvi and I am very satisfied....I wrote before and do it now, best premium bullet for . Ammo goes well in my barrells so why not? Solid like rock, semi monolit construction like Bear Claw, not bonded but no necesery eather...

Agree with writer over, buy if you can. There is not meny of them out there in so good condition....
    one shot, one skill