Deer uv eyesight

adjman

I am wondering if NikWax are trying to flog more products or if there is a grain of truth in what they claim. In the latest Bushwear catalogue they are flogging an "alternative" washing soap for clothes that doesn't leave the UV reactive traces on the clothes that normal washing powders do.

Having been in a nightclub with UV lights and seen the "glow" that clothes can give off I can see that standard washing powders do do this, but they claim that deer can detect it and I was interested to see, if anyone knows, if deer can indeed see in the UV end of the spectrum or if this is just a cunning ploy to flog their special detergent?

Apart from manufacturer's claims there's plenty of scientific research into the subject of deer, eyesight and UV on the web - the 'Mericans seem to go for this stuff in a big way.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/safety/docs/What_do_deer_see_Murphy.pdf

Although recognising that deer may be more sensitive to UV light than other species some are a bit more sceptical about it.

http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/deer.html#senses

Personally I've found that movement coupled with shielding the big white bits - face and hands, (especially when raising/lowering binos) - and reasonable stalking technique, does the job without worrying too much about a change of washing powder for the trews, or even dreesing like a tree for that matter. ;)

Last edited:
...or even dreesing like a tree for that matter. ;)

Yes, this is from the same catalogue where they have Ghillie Suits for sale - I think that's going a bit far, and all that rustling of the suit is going to scare every living thing for miles around! :)

Interesting info, seeing it just made me curious as to scientific fact of the matter - thanks :)

I wear my stalking clothes most days and wash them about once a year, whether they need it or not!:p
They probably don't glow, but they do 'Hum' a little!
MS:D

I don't know about the UV end of the spectrum, but do believe that they can see IR - at least up to around the 850nm mark. I was using my NV monocular the other night whilst out foxing, and a small group of red hinds I came across took no notice of me at all. When I switched on the laser illuminator, however, they all jumped up and looked right at me. I was well downwind, had background cover, and made no noise at all. My face was not being lit up by back-glow either. I then moved in another direction only to find a different group of deer ahead of me. More or less the same thing happened with them - except that insteading of standing around, they all ran away.

you might be on to something Paddy - I sometimes get pictures of deer at my trail cams looking at the cam as if they know it is there, I wonder if they can see the IR flash.

According to the Journals (not hunting supplies sponsored research) deer and other large ungulates have a broader visible spectrum than us; and it is likely they can see into the longer end of the UV spectrum. However, the differing reflective properties of your smock at Dawn and dusk (remember you are only reflecting the ambient light - not a uv spot light) can hardly make a substantial difference - try wearing your smock into a nightclub and see the limited reflection (and feminine interest) you get.

I'm all for taking any advantage but I think the cost benefit of this one means I'll stick with tesco's value powder.

you might be on to something Paddy - I sometimes get pictures of deer at my trail cams looking at the cam as if they know it is there, I wonder if they can see the IR flash.

Lots of evidence suggests they can, they have the cones to distinguish longer wave Colours.

Last edited:
Back