Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crohn's and Colitis

Crohn's and Colitis

A friend of mine suffers from the above. As there is no cure for it she has no choice but to live with it and get on with her day to day life. Trust me you probaly don't want to get it.

She decided to try to raise some money for who offer support to sufferers by going on a trek to Everest Base camp.
    She has paid for all the costs herself to do the trip with months spent in the gym and walking over hill and dale to ensure her fitness levels.
    The funny thing is she is only a slip of a girl. If you saw her you would wonder how the hell she would manage to survive up there.
    But she is one of those terriers with rottie attitude and if she decides to do something she is gonna do it. So fair play to her. I wouldn't want to do it.

Her words.
    In four weeks, I will be trekking to Everest Base Camp. The trek is arduous: 12 days' ascent (descending in 2 days) plus 2 acclimatisation days. From the scary Lukla airstrip, it's all high altitude, before reaching Base Camp at 5,364 metres (17,598 ft), hopefully taking in the peak of Kala Pattar - altitude 5,545 metres (18,192 ft) - and not everyone makes it, as there is only 50% oxygen up there!!
    A friend did the trek recently - and watched someone die from altitude sickness... Blisters, altitude sickness, Khumbu throat and frost nip are all awaiting me - as well as the yak trains that threaten to throw trekkers off the mountain edges! And those hole-in-the-ground toilets...
    100% of all money kindly donated will go to my charity, - my flights, kit and training weekends have all been paid for (don't ask how much - I'll total it when I return!).
    There is currently no cure for either Crohn's or Colitis, but this charity offers support for sufferers and their families - please be generous with your donations as it will be encouraging when I'm flagging on the trek and wishing I hadn't started this nonsense!
    Please dig deep, and thank you x

So if your feeling flush or even have a few quid to spare the she would appreciate anything you can spare.

Many thanks for reading this.

Last edited by The Singing Stalker; 15-11-2011 at 17:01.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

This is a subject that is very close to home having lost half my small bowel to Crohn's. Fair play to her - Stickied for a good cause!

Agree totally. I only lost about 18 inches of large and small bowel but its enough! About 1 in every 1000 has Crohn's and 1 in every 500 has Colitis so unfortunately there should be a few more suffers on the site.

That is or was your 'ileum', Bob. I'm without mine for the same reason.
    It does make stalking or outdoor activity a challenge, so this girl's drive, and achievement need to be seen in that light.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Feel for her and the above. I have lost 2/3rds lower bowel to Ulcerative Crohns, permanent colostomy and on sick leave for last 7.5 years. But it's what you make of it so "good on her". Personally without Crohns i'd never have taken up stalking being too busy working, so i have no complaints. And to repay the NHS and help people in my position i've become a Health Peer Mentor - tho i've been too ill recently to be able to commit any time to it

I lost half my small and large bowel to this in 2000. not my fondest memorys but luckily ive not had any further flare ups.

Hi, watched this the other night and thought it might be of interest.. Episode three.

The Food Hospital - 4oD - Channel 4

I to have suffered with ulcerative colitis since I was 15, now at 65 I'm in remission due to a drug called Methotrexate, a drug used in chemotherapy treatment. For 40 years my life was one that revolved around excruciating pain and involuntary bowel movements up to 15 a day, its debilitating illness that drains you, for the last 5 years I've been on the Metho, but have to have monthly blood tests as the drug is carcinogenic. All sufferers get on with their lives to the best of their ability, and live with the consequences of sudden unexpected visits to the toilet and loss of blood from your rear end, bouts of little or no energy, over the years I've had 2 operations and over a year all told of in patient care. BUT there is always someone worse off than you, you live with it, enjoy life when you're well and retire to your bed when not, doctors still do not know the real cause of it, but treatment with drugs to control the immune system now seem to work with some, dig deep an pray someone close to you does not go down with it. deerwarden.

Well done TSS.

My wife was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis earlier this year and things have been difficult for her. I can only sympathise with Pamela and the other posters here that have suffered with the disease.

A worthy cause.

Ok I knew there was likely to be a few on here but wasn't expecting so many. My sympathies to all who suffer this. I have been trying to think of something offering words of sympathy and such but just find that as a non sufferer I really can't think of anything that doesn't sound stupid.
    I will leave it that Pam is off on Friday to start her trip and I'm sure I will get the details of it when she gets back.
    300 photos and a jelly sandwich please.
    Here we are at the airport.
    Here we are at the duty free shop
    Here we are on the runway.
    Shes gonna kill me when she sees this

She still has a long way to go on what she hopes to be able to donate to the charity so please drop her a few quid if you have the time.
    Many thanks for your time
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .