ballistic turrets?

Boarboy

Ive been looking at the swarovski ballistic turrets. How do they work? Does this mean i can say have one coloured dot for my 70 gr ammo, and then another colour for my 100gr ammo. And not have to mess around moving the scope several clicks and forgetting what i had it set on etc!!!??:lol:

Pretty sure the dots are for different distances but I only have an older PVS dial up Swaro so not certain.

A

Ive been looking at the swarovski ballistic turrets. How do they work? Does this mean i can say have one coloured dot for my 70 gr ammo, and then another colour for my 100gr ammo. And not have to mess around moving the scope several clicks and forgetting what i had it set on etc!!!??:lol:

Hi Boarboy

I have one which I use on two different rifles. The basic idea is that you range your rifle to say 100m and set one dot for that. Range 150m and set one for that. One dot for 200m. Then when you know the range of the target you can change to the appropriate dot and aim exactly on target rather than have to aim high or low when your rifle is set to one range. Ie if set to 100m you would aim higher to compensate for the bullet drop over the distance to 200m. I use mine so I can have a set aiming point for two rifles and can change the expensive scope between the two, effectively halving the cost and having a fantastic scope on both. I suppose on the same basis you could use it for each weight bullet, but if i was you i'd find one bullet weight that worked and stick with that.

Hope the above helps and if i've not explained it clearly enough feel free to pm me

Atb

Scrun

Thanks,

Well what I was actually thinking was this: Ive got a blaser with both 308 and 243 barrels, and 2 scopes. I use 70 gr .243 for my foxing, and the 308 150s for all my deer work. SO... Im thinking i could have the one scope with 2 different colour dot settings for the 2 different calibres?? and then also further colour dots if i re zero with the 180 gr 308s for my boar hunting. Will this work?

The Ballistic Turrets only adjust elevation, not windage, so if all your different ammo hits in the same vertical line then I suppose it would work. Mine don't though.

Thanks,

Well what I was actually thinking was this: Ive got a blaser with both 308 and 243 barrels, and 2 scopes. I use 70 gr .243 for my foxing, and the 308 150s for all my deer work. SO... Im thinking i could have the one scope with 2 different colour dot settings for the 2 different calibres?? and then also further colour dots if i re zero with the 180 gr 308s for my boar hunting. Will this work?

You'll be doing the same as I do, albeit you'll be removing the barrels and i remove the scope. Yeap, what you suggest should work. but as Gully says you'll have to ensure that the barrels are precisely lined up otherwise you'll need to adjust windage. I had to have my second rifle sent to an engineering firm to have new holes tapped so i could fit the same Apel mounts to it. though thats not the end of the story because the two breaches are different heights so i'm now packing the lowest - nothing is easy in this game :doh:. But with a Blaser and changing barrels you shouldnt have that prob .................. hopefully :eek:

ATB and let me know how you get on if you decide to go down that route

Scrun

If you search for Swarovski Ballistic Turret on Youtube you'll find an excellent 8 minute video from Swarovski Optic North America about the BT.

I've been looking at one of these as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKegyDxukHc
I
t looks like my scope is going to cost more than the rifle I'm going to put it on, but from reading through all the advice on here it seems to be the best idea - decent rifle, VERY decent scope and binos :)

agree, scope and binos very important, but no point in seeing that big buck clearly in the fading light if the rifle won't put a bullet where it counts! mind, you need a real sh1tter of a banger not to shoot 1-2" regularly at 100yds, and even the crappiest can often be worked on to get shooting straigth,,as long as the barrel is not shot out of course.

Heh! Yeah, to be fair the rifle I'm after will only be slightly less than the scope ;) Scope £1179 from Uttings, Rifle £895 from my RFD ;)

I've been looking at one of these as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKegyDxukHc
I
t looks like my scope is going to cost more than the rifle I'm going to put it on, but from reading through all the advice on here it seems to be the best idea - decent rifle, VERY decent scope and binos :)

The advice i was always given was spend most money on the optics. Most guns can out shoot the owner, but if you cant see the target you aint gona be able to hit it anyway

Ballistic turrets are for longer range shooting really,not essential for average rifleman,I've got them,I doubt if I'd ever have a standard scope now,same as fixed power scopes,variable a better option,extra mag always there if you need it.

Back