steyr stock

pablo.222

i have bought myself a steyr pro hunter in .222 and was wondering about changing the stock to a custom one. reason being i heard the stock can be quite flexible and would like to eliminate it if i could. i having been surfing the net and have not found any as yet. Have any of you guys any idea who makes them or sells them.

Thanks

i have bought myself a steyr pro hunter in .222 and was wondering about changing the stock to a custom one. reason being i heard the stock can be quite flexible and would like to eliminate it if i could. i having been surfing the net and have not found any as yet. Have any of you guys any idea who makes them or sells them.

Thanks[/Quote
I know sportsman gun centre were advertising mcmillan type stocks fitted as standard. But give jackson rifles a call. They distribute these type of after market stocks. They are trade but extremely helpful.
Lastly. I have the same rifle and can print a group in under a half inch with soft points. Try the gun out before spending more on it.

Mk1 or Mk2? I am lead to believe the Mk1 had a unsuitable stock and would flex beyond acceptable limits......Causing various problems with accuracy especially off a bipod....

TJ

Mk1 or Mk2? I am lead to believe the Mk1 had a unsuitable stock and would flex beyond acceptable limits......Causing various problems with accuracy especially off a bipod....

TJ
mine is a mk 2 but to be honest it still flexes and i can easily squeeze the fore stock and barrel together. Still really like the gun and have good results with it. If on a bipod i dont push into it the way i might with target rifles though.

forget changing the stock unless you have £600 for a mac nobody else wants to do them difficult rebate? to be honest its all a bit of old bull really the mk lls are fine sure they move a small amount but the two i own in 6.5 and 308 sure kill deer just as good as any other rifle i own or have owned .they are a good work horse and i like the pro hunter mtn very muchly :D there said now and i feel better

solving the flex

I had to do some work on my 25-06 to stop the stock flexing which in turn seemed to alter POI. When I took it off I found the fore end bit had holes in it to make it lighter so I got a mate to mill out the whole lot and we inlaid 3 7mm carbon fibre tubes (like arrow shafts) and covered them in chop fibreglass and resin. Once it had cured I sanded it smooth to make sure the barrel was still free floating and re fit it to the rifle. It now flexes alot less and I don't have the accuracy problems I used to to have when shooting from different positions. If I squeeze hard enough the stock and barrel will still touch.

The materials cost about £15 and it took about 2 hours plus drying time.

Hope this helps

Rick

thanks for all the comments. helpful. i love the gun it shoots very well with soft points aswell. its a mk1 i own and have tryed shooting with it and the groups are good using the bipod when short (1" group)but if you extend the legs to 25" ud be lucky to hit a barn door with the thng. so i might try stiffing the stock myself because to be honest having a bipod and not being able to use it defeats the purpose. well looks like a new stock is out of the question at that price, more than wat i paid for the gun brand new. so ill mayb make that my project later on in the season,

thanks

I had the same problem with my steyr. the rifle was still very accurate though(2shots about half an inch apart at 400m, it might have been a fluke). I sold it and bought another rifle that I couldn't get to group anywhere near as good as the steyr. I heard that Mcmillan stocks for them cost about £850. I would have hoped that steyr would have seen that it is a problem by now. good luck with it

Back