Thread: rock salt

rock salt

ive seen and heard a little about using rock salt as a suplement/attractant for deer but thats as far as it goes and seeing as i work in a buildes merchants and theve just got around 28 ton in in 25kg sacks which i can get on the cheap i thought i might look into this a bit more so what i would like to know is basicaly is rock salt worth using (roe) and do i mix it wth anything before use and do i need a special hopper to feed from or is the rock salt just poured on the ground ? many thanks

You will find that the deer dont eat the salt, they tend to eat the soil it has leached into or lick the wood if it has soaked into a log or tree stump.
    I have used rock salt to establish an lick, and have mixed it with bird puller or concentrated aniseed as an attractant with some success.
    I dont use a lick to shoot over, only to observe the local population and decide on a cull plan.
    The licks have worked on both roe and fallow that I have tried it on to date (spotted some red hinds on my land a few weeks ago so will see if they like it)
    Theres a fishing shop in the northeast sells the aniseed cheap.
    works better than most of the salt blocks you can buy.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

You can dig it into the ground and mix it well. As said Roe will then eat the soil!