Thread: For those who would have said yes to the attestastion

For those who would have said yes to the attestastion

I remember with clarity, the Medico lining us up, I was aged 15 years, He was very thorough with us all, I am guessing here, but I failed on something I believe is called "A tendency to inguinal hernia", this precluded my hoped for service in the army, I wonder how many of us are still willing to serve, at whatever age we may now be at?.............. Dad's Army , ... or what?, & by the way, the temporary avatar, is in deference to my youngest, who is no longer with us.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I went for a scholarship and got rejected because I told them I had had asthma about 4 years before if I remember correctly. My asthma never stopped me from doing any form of exercise, at the time I was a pretty good cross country runner. Never really forgave them for that .

Well I'm not alone here then, tried to join the Andrew when I was 15, passed all the exams bar 1, the medical, Asthma, like Eggy never stopped me doing anything, had another 2 attempts that year before the MO said "sling your hook".

Yep I'd sign up up for "Dads Navy" (grandad more like) if needed

Finn sorry for your loss mate

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    I wonder what the reaction would have been....if seventy years ago those Australians, New Zealanders, Indians, Nigerian and Kenyans, South Africans, Jamaicans Etc., etc., who volunteered for their Armed Forces were told, just before attestation:

"Oh and by the way, in seventy years time when YOUR CHILDREN, YOUR COUNTRYMEN, try to come to this country they'll be told to f**K off and get a visa whilst Britain opens its doors to all of Roumania..."

No I wouldn't now fight for this country. Let the Roumanians fight for Britain as they now have more rights here than I do.

I served, and would go back in a heartbeat if it wasn't for 3 kids. It's more about the blokes than the country; but yes, a lot of people are treated appallingly. Gurkhas, the injured, matelots coming back from Libia to a pink slip. But that is politics. Politicians change, but not their spots, the blokes are a constant - as is the job.

Sorry for your loss.

yep i would go back if asked.. snger duty in bastion or where evr to allow the younger fitter lads to deploy down range. seem to recall we had something called the home service force who where mostly exservice men and woman who where taken on to secure key points and instalations als the americans done a similar thing for heli pilots some having seen action in vietnam. yeh the forces can be choosey i have seen good cadets and good kids get their bubbles busted by the recruters for the most ridiculus things like 1 one toe crossing over the other slightly an op could fix no prob kid even offered to have it removed nope wouldnt heer of it. 2 kid fills in medical questionare answers honestly declares a family/hereditory problem from which he doesnt suffer as before big fat no. and thats just a couple of examples. i think its rather hard on them these kids have done nothing but dream of the army and then to be told your no use which is rubish is soul destroying. i recon its all becaus they have so many unemployed they can afford to turb up their noses just watch the change when the unemployed numbers go down.

I would stand and be counted in a heart beat because no matter how bad our society and the weak leadership we have had over recent decades, maybe naively is I still believe in this Great Britain the one our forefathers fought for over the last 100 years.
    What I have my doubts over is the younger generation, ther ARE many brave men and women as we have seen over the last 20 years willing to fight for the same values, but I suspect many 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants would not share these values especially if there were any religious aspects with a full blown war. Also the so called disaffected youth would rather set up tents outside St Paul's, swing from flags on the senataph eating South African peace crisps than fight for their country.
    I just thank the lord we have the bravest of the brave in our armed forces currently, despite the cuts the lack of goverment funding and support they still go out and do their job.

I am also very sorry for your loss.

Would I stand up and be counted if my country needed me...................... Hhhmmmmmmm......Yes.

I may not like some of what has happened to Britain, and I certainly would not fight for our politicians. But mostly when the chips are down you fight for your mates, trying like hell not to let them down. Or if, let us hope it never happens, we were invaded, I would do my best to subvert and make a nuisance of myself.

My last serving mate died on the 17th June 2008. It is harder as one gets older to think like we did when we were young, that we were/are immortal, and it will always be the other guy that gets it. But if one or two old mates rang me up and asked for help, I think I might just have to pick up arms again.

But I am fooling myself, or would be, if I thought that I could phsically do what I used to do. Too old, too fat & too knocked about to be any good. My days of Run, Jump, Feck, Fight, Fart, Wheel A Barrow, Push A Cart, Further & Faster have gone for good. Like an old warhorse I can make a lot of noise at the smell of powder, but would be of little use to anyone anymore.

Steve I am sorry for your loss, it's a bugger!

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Well I got in only to be discharged after being rumbled with a knackered left knee after six years, would I go back if needed hell yes!! as a brother of three serving sibblings (473/AAC/RMC) who are all on active duty at the moment I can only imagine what my parents go through every time they hear of yet another life being taken but would they have it any other way... I dont think so my grandfathers and father all fought for this country and they are proud of there sons following it on.

Cant imagine loosing a son Steve mines only 18 months old... just cant imagine it buddy.

I served 86-94 and left because the grass was greener. Was all signed up to go back in, in my old job at the old rank and busted an ACL 2months before my return. The Army didn't want me then, quite rightly so...but I was very bitter for a while.