Had a couple of surprise visitors in the garden today.....

Excellent photo's.

What range were they?

What camera are you using out of interest?

Thinking of getting a more substantial camera than my current one.

Cheers

Ross

Hi Ross,They were around 15yds and taken with a Nikon D80 with a 70-200AF lens with image stabilizer.I do get a lot of deer in the garden but just Roe and Muntjac.

Now it's a noticeable event if we see a Squirrel in the garden. Never seen a Fox this side of the road either. Saw one on the fields opposite butt hey have a cover crop and pheasant feeders out. Nearest we normally see squirrels is about 2 miles away in the village church yard and village itself.. Out here not enough trees for them. The neighbour says she has seen deer crossing the field behind ours but I have never seen any. Rumour has it there are Muntjac in the village itself but again I have never seen any. Closest one I saw was about 8 miles away during last winters snows. Due tot he peanut feeders we do get visits from the greater Spotted Woodpecker now and then.

Stoats, Weasels, rats, Voles, mice, Owls (the Barn Owl visits almost daily), she has Little owls nesting in her horses straw next door, and another owl I have not seen close enough to identify but believe it to be a Tawney. Raptors like Kestrel (daily), Sparrow Hawk (at least weekly) Hen harriers and Marsh harriers in season the occasional Hobby and Buzzards are becoming quite regular. Brown Hare and Waskerly Wabbits are common and in fact a bit of a pest. The Badger wanders through it seems but have only seen them just up the road when one wander across in front of the car. Come Spring Summer I often leave a telescope on tripod setup in the conservatory just to watch what's about.

But sadly deer seem to be absent :cry:.

Now it's a noticeable event if we see a Squirrel in the garden. Never seen a Fox this side of the road either. Saw one on the fields opposite butt hey have a cover crop and pheasant feeders out. Nearest we normally see squirrels is about 2 miles away in the village church yard and village itself.. Out here not enough trees for them. The neighbour says she has seen deer crossing the field behind ours but I have never seen any. Rumour has it there are Muntjac in the village itself but again I have never seen any. Closest one I saw was about 8 miles away during last winters snows. Due tot he peanut feeders we do get visits from the greater Spotted Woodpecker now and then.

Stoats, Weasels, rats, Voles, mice, Owls (the Barn Owl visits almost daily), she has Little owls nesting in her horses straw next door, and another owl I have not seen close enough to identify but believe it to be a Tawney. Raptors like Kestrel (daily), Sparrow Hawk (at least weekly) Hen harriers and Marsh harriers in season the occasional Hobby and Buzzards are becoming quite regular. Brown Hare and Waskerly Wabbits are common and in fact a bit of a pest. The Badger wanders through it seems but have only seen them just up the road when one wander across in front of the car. Come Spring Summer I often leave a telescope on tripod setup in the conservatory just to watch what's about.

But sadly deer seem to be absent :cry:.

If the Muntjac are that close then they will be with you shortly bud,Roedinator had told me that he had none on his land,and then got a phonecall to say he saw one,and I said where there's one there's more,just keep their heads down till they get the numbers up a bit.

M

If the Muntjac are that close then they will be with you shortly bud,Roedinator had told me that he had none on his land,and then got a phonecall to say he saw one,and I said where there's one there's more,just keep their heads down till they get the numbers up a bit.

M

Might get them in a year or two once the trees grow up a bit but not until then I doubt......................... too open. It's all flat fields here. The village has shrubs and trees around it. Probably as wind breaks as the wind comes in off the wash there is nowt to stop it and you see trees around the Churches. The farm just North of here about 2 miles I suppose had Roe, not sure if they are still resident but they have a couple of decent woods. Old ones. One has an old Duck decoy I here.

Back