Red deer at night, Isle of Wight

Nice looking stag. I never knew there were reds on the Isle of Wight! Thanks for sharing.

I have always been told that there are no wild deer in the isle of wight???

ATB

Rob
243Sako

I have always been told that there are no wild deer in the isle of wight???

ATB

Rob
243Sako
There have been a series of escapes from tourist parks & deer farms over the past 25 years although it remains to be seen whether they establish a sustainable wild population. There are some rumours of Muntjac here as well and from time to time a Fallow buck has also been seen

I shoot on the Island, my uncle lives and has shot there all his life, I have never heard of or seen a deer on the Island, I was led to believe also that there were not any deer there. Certainly those who live there that I know are under the same impression

I shoot on the Island, my uncle lives and has shot there all his life, I have never heard of or seen a deer on the Island, I was led to believe also that there were not any deer there. Certainly those who live there that I know are under the same impression
Have a look at this County Press article from August 2010
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/deer-could-damage-island

N,S,E,W of the island? Could use some deer on the island to knock back some of the over thick woodland cover, The iow is a good example of where limited deer browsing would benifit a habitat.

N,S,E,W of the island? Could use some deer on the island to knock back some of the over thick woodland cover, The iow is a good example of where limited deer browsing would benifit a habitat.
So far as I know recent sightings have been dispersed in small groups across the island, I wouldn't like to reveal more given the opposition to having deer on the island by many farmers, local government and the National Trust. We did have a small nucleus herd of Fallow that had escaped from Robin Hill Country Park near Newport, these could regularly be seen around Lynn farm, Lynn tip and Combley Wood. A quango (I believe it may have been either English Nature or Natural England, but I have yet to confirm this as fact) decided that island people were not entitled to benefit from the presence of these beautiful creatures and had them all killed, without any consultation with the wider general public.

Back